PDA

View Full Version : Warrior/Paladin Main Tanking

Kurimlinn
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently a protection/offspec arms warrior and one of the tanks for my guilds progression raids. All through our guilds progression in ulduar and now ToC/Togc I have always been one of the off-tanks. My guild always prefers a paladin tank over me, because when i am Main tanking, i always die. The healers say that overall i take less damage then the paladin tank, but the spike damage that I take is very dificult to heal through.

For example, a few weeks ago when the new Onxyia raid launched, my guild went to attempt it the wednesday after it came out after clearing ToC25. At first, I was Main tanking it, but i kept dying either right away, or in phase 3 when she landed. So we switched me and our Paladin tank to see if it would change things, and we got the boss down the first try with the paladin tank.

I think my gear is good enough to tank most bosses that are out right now, and I think my spec is where it should be. If you have any suggestions here is my armory link-
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Antonidas&n=Kurimlinn)
Also here is the Paladins armory link-
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Antonidas&n=Kayo)

If you have any suggestions or anything you think I should change gemming/enchanting or even something in my spec I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks again,
Kurimlinn

krc
10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Your spec and glyphs looks pretty good and you seem to have around the same gear level as the paladin. Are you using Shield Wall, Last Stand, and Shield Block? Are you keeping Demoralizing Shout and Thunderclap on the boss? Thats all I can really think of everything seems fine for Onyxia. My best guess is that it was just RNG.

Airowird
10-06-2009, 03:14 AM
My best guess is that it was just RNG.This.

Warriors take more spiky damage than Paladins, your healers are simply not prepared for that and are most likely healing you too little/late. Especially their "you're taking less damage overall, I can slackz0rz!!1" mentality that I read between the lines there can be an issue. Try using Shield Block on the pull/landing and ask whoever is healing you to try and keep up their HoT or shield on you whenever possible. For non-Druids, that's a Sacred Shield(pala), Renew/PW:S(Priests) or even Earth Shield/Riptide(Shaman). Overall I'ld just say that Druids & Disc Priests are especially useful healing Warriors because they can level out those spikes easier.

Kurimlinn
10-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I constantly use all my cooldowns and trinkets at different times including sheild block at the beginning of the fight and keeping it on cooldown(especially now that it only has a 30sec CD).

Thaak
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Find yourself a death tracking addon, I just use recount cause I like multitaskers. Always check your death when you die. If you've got a 45k health pool and take 85k in 2 seconds, healers probably couldn't have saved you. 45k HP and 85k over 8 seconds, its your healers fault. Don't be afraid to call people out either. If you know who was supposed to be healing you and you go no heals for more than a couple seconds and went splat, demand answers(or if you're nice, you can ask instead of demanding).

I agree with Wartotem, Disc priest+tree=OP

MellvarTank
10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I've been in some scenario's where the healer that is supposed to be healing me is off healing the raid and then *squish*. Everyone in the raid is like "What happened?" and the healer says "It was spike damage!" and I say "No, I watched my health go 45k, 40k, 30k, 22k, 15k, 8k, dead with no HEALS!"

Sometimes healing assignments need to be followed very strictly, other times there is flex, that is where Palli's are handy, they kinda heal themselves a bit (depending on the player) and can sometimes give the healers the ability to lose focus. Not really the case with warriors. Watch your health if you find you are wiping to see what kind of heals you are receiving, if it is not enough to deal with the damage, have a discussion with the healer. (Try not to call them out in front of the raid though, or they may let you die as revenge.... Plate repairs > Cloth/leather repairs.)