PDA

View Full Version : Retribution Assistance

Partyhardy
10-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Allo, have been hearing about tankspot.com for a while now and decided to check it out, and i found so much, so i just started to explore until i found the pvp discussion! (Bum bum bum!) I have been needing to get a third person (my brother and i can go only so far down the yellow brick road) to assist me and see if i am going down the right path for a dps Retribution Spec Paladin.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sentinels&n=Savagerealm) i also don't know if i am going in the right direction as spec and gear wise, i have checked wowhead.com and found Titanforged gear from Wintergrasp but chose to get a few of the deadly/furious gear for crit to replace hit, i don't know if i want hit instead of crit or not, thus a third persons point of view.

I am ready for leaning! [:
-Fred

Mert
10-05-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm hardly the world's expert on PvP but your spec does seem a little weird to me. It's almost as though you're a mixture between a healer and a damage-dealer and as a result you've kind of got a mixture there which doesn't seem to get the maximum benefit from either role.

With regard to Hit, you don't need much for PvP. While the melee hit cap is 8% that is on the assumption that you're fighting something three levels higher than you - ie. a raid boss. For level 80s (ie. other players) it's nearer 5.5%, though keep in mind that some classes have abilities that can reduce your ability to hit them by X%, so it's not guaranteed. Still, don't worry too much about Hit.

Given the talents you've chosen, I assume you're going for a damage-dealing build with the ability to throw out some quick, emergency healing every so often? You're not going to be able to spec that deep in Ret and be an effective PvP healer so any healing you do will likely be instant Flash of Light casts when you get an Art of War proc. As a result, I wouldn't worry about going too deep into Holy.

I also wouldn't worry about taking Anticipation or Deflection as these can only work when attacked from the front (like a boss would attack a tank) and player-controlled characters will do anything they can to get behind you - they'll be running around so much that these talents won't always have that great an effect. Maybe take Guardian's Fervor and Stoicism in the Prot tree instead of Anticpation and Benediction in place of Deflection?

Other than that, I can't give too much advice because I PvP rarely and when I do it's as a Holy/Prot offensive healer. There's a few good specs on the Paladin specs page on wowwiki.com though and you could always check out arenajunkies.com to see what PvP info you can pick up. This site is largely focussed on PvE tanking, but the PvP forum has some very experienced folk so it's also worth a read. Good luck :)

Partyhardy
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks, i've been itching to try a hybrid spec, an actual hybrid spec between Protection and Retribution, cause i've been dying to know if a DPS paladin can keep up/maintain a steady dps score or not without Divine Storm.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZVGzVrzoZVf0xbIbGdGbs)

thoughts, comments?

-Fred