PDA

View Full Version : Second Tank, Second String- What am I missing?

Valkyrs
10-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My TPS is really low.. I realize that I'm not going to generate the threat the Warrior tank is off the bat with his 28K shield bashes, but my DPS is concerned that they are going to pull off and back off their rotations. I'm no number cruncher- its all Greek to me. My current spec has worked for us for the last several months, now seems to concern my guild mates. My Armory Link (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=The+Scryers&cn=Valkyrs&gn=Covenant). Gear issue or is a spec rework in order? I prefer Frost tanking to the other specs - mostly because I simply haven't mastered them.

I'm currently in a casual setting and 8/14 in Ulduar. Unfortunately I can't recall my rotation right off the top of my head-- I've had so many suggestions on changing my rotation from other DK tanks to up my TPS that I've lost track of which one I was actually using.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction.

ETA: Current Badges of Conquest 48. Badges of Triumph 30. Raiding twice weekly averaging about 17 Conquest and Daily Heroix for Triumph

Wilhem
10-03-2009, 01:49 PM
One thing I notice right off the bat is that you don't have any points in Two-Handed Weapon Specialization, which increases damage 2% per point which will increase threat. Do you feel like you're runic power starved at all? Because you don't have any points in Scent of Blood, either.

If initial holding of threat is a major concern for you, make sure you're using Deathchill/Howling Blast for AoE...

In my frost build I sometimes have a hard time holding single target aggro immediately off the bat if the DPS starts too hard, but I have a blood tank spec for single target aggro (ToC and Ulduar specifically).

Oh, as far as rotation... For AoE it's something like this:
Plague Strike > Icy Touch > Pestilence > Blood Strike x2 > Frost Strikes/Rune Strikes/RP Dump > Obliterate x3 > Frost Strikes/Rune Strikes/RP Dump > Repeat.

Lastly, your expertise is really low sitting at 10. If you get that to 26 (soft cap) you'll be generating a lot more threat.
Also make sure to use Howling Blast any time Rime (I think it shows as Freezing Fog under your buffs) procs and I also use Howling Blast for any Killing Machine Procs.

Kurtosis
10-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Also, drop Glyph of IBF. That's only for non-tanks that don't have 540 defense. Tanks w/ 540d already get the same effect that glyph provides from their defense, so the glyph is redundant and doesn't stack. Get a threat glyph instead, like Frost Strike, HB, or Disease (renew and spread diseases w/ 1 rune and gcd instead of 3 runes and 3 gcd's).

Valkyrs
10-03-2009, 10:43 PM
So maybe something more like this: Talent Calculator Link (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=0055120000000000000000000000305050003520331023 002031013510052000000000000000000000000000) with an HB, Disease or FS glyph? And possibly dump the Stam on bracers for Expertise...