PDA

View Full Version : Requesting advice on stats/gemming

Rhysata
10-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey all, I'm new to Tankspot. I have been browsing the forums here, at EJ, and the warrior forums on wow's site for a long time, doing as much research as I could on my warrior. But now it is my first post here.

I would like it very much if you all could look over my character and give me advice on where to go from here. To provide a bit further info of my intentions with the character: My guild is currently working on Ulduar 25. I am usually MT or OT for any given fight in any instance we do. I have recently respecced to a more progression-focused talent spec. I have not changed my glyphs yet. I do not really need help there.

What I DO need help on: I am currently defense "capped" at 540 on the nose. I've done this without having to sacrifice any gem slots to defense. As you can see I am epicced out for stamina in the gem department.

My question: Where should I go from here? I have a lack of expertise and hit. I am very well aware of the numbers for the caps on those, but I'm not certain on whether I should be sacrificing other things to obtain those or not. Help on how I should change gems, enchants, or gear in this department is very much desired. Also, do I need to focus those efforts into more dodge or parry as well?

(Note: I know a lot of my gear has shield block rating. I am aware that this stat is terrible. If you have advice of gear I can replace those pieces with, I would love to hear them.)

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uldaman&n=Rhysata)

Also, I am working on getting my mining and JC up at this very moment to improve upon my stamina. Please keep that in mind as you comment. Thank you very much.

ZeruelTenken
10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
A few things you can do to make your life easier rounding stats out:

If you're doing the daily heroic regularly, save up and get the 232 tank shoulders (Conqueror's Wrynn's Plate - Item Set - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=869)). This'll sacrifice some of that block rating you don't want for expertise that you do, plus a bump in HP, defense, and a blue socket to boot. The same really goes for any of the 232-level gear, but since you don't seem to be in ToC raids, they'll be slow in coming.

Alternatively, since you've got XT down, you could go for his shoulders (Shoulderplates of the Deconstructor - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45251)) for the hit bonus, and save your triumph badges for something like the 232 BP instead.

Also, for hit, you might look into swapping your wrists for the 213 badge wrists (Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40734)). It's a defense rating bounce, so you can do it right away without worrying about dropping below 540. Those should hold you over until FL drops his tank bracers.

The rest of it should just come along as you gear up in Ulduar, honestly. It's pretty easy to avoid the block gear there, and most of it is absolutely drowning in hit rating. Expertise will be a bit harder to come by, but not impossible. Don't hesitate to hang onto your T7 expertise gear and swap some of it in as necessary to suit your needs.

Tzobee
10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Rhysata.

I would start by removing that 10 Parry / 15 Stamina gem and replace it with 10 Expertise / 15 Stamina since you have not yet reached the expertise softcap. I would also go pick up the PVP shoulder enchant which grants you 30 Stamina and 15 Resilience.

If you have alittle spare gold or maybe if your guild is willing to help you I would suggest you go craft the 226 tanking boots and the 226 tanking belt which would probably increase your health with about 1500 or so, not to mention your armor and avoidance.

If your guild is planning to enter TOTC I would strongly suggest gemming/enchanting for EH which you currently are doing and as it turns out, that works fine in Ulduar aswell. Socket 30 stamina in every blue socket and socket 10 Expertise / 15 stamina in every red socket until you are softcapped (granted that the socket bonus is atleast 9 stamina). Expertise is alot more important until softcap than hit rating.

If you do not have access to Hodir(25) you could always try to buy the Northrend Barrier on AH, its usually around 3-4k on my server and well worth the gold if your guild can't down him.

Best of luck.

Griff
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
A few things: You're still using the valorous chest - that should be an easy upgrade to at least the T8 with badges.

The Valorous badge ring provides both hit and expertise, something you are in need of and would be a good replacement for the sandworn ring.

Fix the 'chant on your mittens to armsman.

Fix the chant on your boots to the +stam/speed increase enchant (Icewalker?) or +22 stam.

As a previous poster said, the t9 shoulders would be a good upgrade, but you could also look at the Headplate of the Honorbound as a solid threat helm.

Also, the triumph badge ring should be on your upgrade list as well.

Some folks might say otherwise, but mongoose is a substandard avoidance enchant. If you need avoidance, Blade Ward is superior but I prefered blood draining for Ulduar.

Finish your professions, that's a lot of stam you're leaving on the table.

Otherwise, your spec looks good but if you've got sharp dps, you might find yourself threat-capping them without a deep wounds build.

Rhysata
10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks a ton for the replies guys. A HUGE amount of help.

In regards to my professions: I am currently finishing them. I've spent the past 4 days or so grinding mining, JC, and Sons of Hodir rep. Busting my butt to get those up.

As for my weapon enchant, I actually came here to research that. The most consistent answer for progression tanking came up as Mongoose. I was originally going to Blade Ward, but the conversations here had changed my mind. I'll look into it more though.

As for my boots, I do need to upgrade to +22 sta. I do not see any reason to upgrade to the 15 sta/speed increase enchant. I have no need for a minor speed boost really while losing a point of stamina.

I originally did have a deep wounds build. I just specced out of it to this. Threat is one of the issues I was concerned about from doing this move. But I was hoping that by increasing expertise or hit, that my threat would come up significantly.

My shoulder enchant is what it is because that got me to defense cap without having to gem for defense. Right now, that is keeping me capped, so I'm hesitant to change it. Plus it gives me more dodge, which I figured couldn't hurt.

If you have any comments on those points, I would love to hear them as well. Thanks a ton everyone!

Also, how am I doing with my avoidance stats? Am I good there? Should I not focus on those at all and just worry about STA, Hit, and Expertise?

luv2tank
10-03-2009, 01:10 AM
imo go for the sons of hodir shoulder enchant(+20 dodge +15 defense) over the 30 stam + 15 resil pvp enchant.

drae
10-03-2009, 07:26 AM
EH is everything, if your over the defence floor, and seeing DR on your dodge, it's usually better to go for the PvP enchant.