PDA

View Full Version : When to RD

galefrae
10-02-2009, 05:49 AM
I am using xperl, and before the patch it was showing a nice little slider above the heads of my party members head so I could see who was getting close to getting aggro. I would then cast RD. Now it no longer does that, am I the onlt one having this issue?

Thanks coming from a new member of the Tankspot.

Synapse
10-02-2009, 05:56 AM
"Close to getting aggro" is not enough. RD, while having different targetting mechanics, is a full taunt and as such must be treated as one.

There are plenty uses of it where it supercedes Reck:
1) Aoe tanking. you're tanking a bunch and you see "losing aggro" pop on a couple mobs. Odds are they'll aggro the same person, you can then either target them or the person who aggroed them and RD. Both will be taunted.
2) Incoming stuff. This is common in gauntlet-like events, where whoever's closer to the mob or healing a lot will aggro new stuff. The usage is the same
3) Long-range taunting. RD's range is based on the person you'll target(or the person who is the mob's target, as it's he who will receive RD). Because of this, you can, say, taunt a mob 60 yards away that is targetting a person right by your side. The opposite is a problem, though, as if the person is too far, you just can't taunt the mob that is right there at your side.

In either case, having a frame addon helps immensely, pitbull has the option of highlighting people who are being targeted by any monster, so you can just target your rd on the frame of whoever's bar is red. Grid probably has an equivalent one.

Just reviewing: Righteous Defense is friendly-targeted, as it will taunt up to three npcs attacking your target. If you use RD on a monster, RD will hit the person the monster is targeting(if a friendly). You can't use RD on a monster without a target.

galefrae
10-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, and yes it is friendly-targeted. I think I will try pitbull out today, as I am using xperl now.

Mert
10-02-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm using Xperl and I still get the aggro "glow" around friendly unit frames and stuff, not had any trouble with it at all.

I'd also recommend Aloft for this kind of thing - make sure you have all the "explicitly show threat" stuff ticked and then set the colour of their "V-plate" health bar for different aggro states (gaining aggro, losing aggro, have aggro, do not have aggro). Now even with MANY WHELPS or whatever I can point my camera top-down and see that the green bars are all good, the yellow ones I need to keep an eye on and the red ones could do with a quick RD or something.

AoE threat is hard to estimate so lots of addons aren't great at tracking it but I believe Aloft works primarily on what has you targetted so I've found it to be very accurate in this regard and I've honestly stopped looking at my raid frames for the aggro warning these days.

Zothor
10-02-2009, 07:17 AM
My basical rule - Reckoning if I'm already targetting what needs taunting or I can switch to it fast, RD when I'm not or, more likely, I'm not sure.

Often I RD just because I see a DPSer or a healer has caught aggro (aggro hi-lighting on your raid frames is NECCESSARY to be a decent tank) without even knowing what's hitting it.