PDA

View Full Version : Taking more damage than I think I should

xAislynnx
10-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Hi everyone!

First time visitor and poster here. Basically, I've always been trying to make my toons as best as they can be (reading up on many forums, such as EJ), and tweaking items and specs as necessary.

Well, I'm having issues with my little warrior taking quite a bit of damage. The spec that is currently on my armory is one that I've used since before Wrath, and through reading some of the posts on here, I think I'll be tweaking it up when I get home from work today.

I have no issues picking up threat and keeping mobs on me. But unless I have a good healer, I feel as though I'm taking a lot of damage. I understand that I have quite a few blues left in my gear, the bracers can be re-enchanted for stam, etc. So I'm thinking it may have to do with the spec I'm currently running : WoWArmory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Fenris&cn=Alazara&gn=Requiem+of+Spirits)

Looking at other threads, I was looking along the lines of respeccing into Talent Calculator - WoWHead (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItMx0didfzsGo)

Am I correct in thinking it's my spec, or is it more than that, and I'm just not seeing it? I've been running heroics as much as I can on her to get her some more gear, as I know that needs some work still. I haven't raided in some time (furthest was Naxx25), so I've been going back into heroics to get practice again and gear up some more.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Halandir
10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Your gear is fine, your spec is fine. The question isn't what is wrong with your gear / spec, it's what content are you trying to tank? With your current gear level (30k hp, 23k armor) you're fine running 10 or 25man Naxx, or maybe even 10man Ulduar... but if you go into harder content you're gonna be getting whacked pretty hard. Do the regular and heroic mode 5man ToC, keep doing the daily heroic for triumph and conquest badges, and with a couple key upgrades on those blue items you'll be in good shape.

In heroics, make sure you're using thunderclap, demo shout, shockwave, disarm, concussive blow, and spell reflect all the time. Using warbringer to charge over and stun casters is also a good technique. Basically do everything in your ability to minimize the damage you're receiving, and you'll notice a difference

Reev
10-01-2009, 08:27 AM
He's probably fine to do the first half of Uld 25 as well.

xAislynnx
10-01-2009, 09:28 AM
That may be the problem. Although, I'm keeping all mobs on me, I hadn't been using things like Demo and Concussive Blow (Before I was able to get above 30k... which was last night... I had been using Commanding, while a warrior dps friend was using battle. I didn't even think about demo until I start reading the stuff on here).

Currently, the only content I'm doing at the moment is heroics, which is why I was worried. I make sure all mobs are in front of me and not whacking my back, thunderclap, shockwave, devastate to put up sunders quickly on multiple mobs, etc.

I'm currently working on getting the shoulders out of H ToC (5 man), and am working toward more emblems (doing the dailies and whatnot). Had just recently picked her up again.

I've been in Naxx and Naxx 25 on her, along with tanking Sarth, but that's as far as I've gone raiding wise.

It's funny, I've always been comfortable in my ability to heal on my shaman and dps on my rogue, but on my warrior, I'm a bit iffy still on the whole tanking thing. I mean, I love it, I guess I'm just worried I'll screw up.

I didn't think I was ready for at least starting Ulduar. Perhaps once I get a bit more comfortable, or even going in with a friend's guild and OT. I'll talk with him about it and see if I can get in to at least starting it.

Thanks for the replies from the both of you =). It had boost my confidence a bit more than it was :D lol

Reev
10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I would consider switching out your shield for a Titansteel Shieldwall until you can get something better. The shield you're using right now wastes a lot of stat allocation on block rating, which isn't particularly useful. Also, while your health pool is plenty to be doing early Ulduar stuff (it better be with 2 high stam trinkets), your avoidance is quite low. That means you are going to be taking a lot of damage in content higher than Naxx. Just keep trucking and your gear will get there.

Try to hit up Sarth and Maly whenever you can, as there are good tanking upgrades for your gear level in there. Try to get some new boots, if only because people are stupid and if they see a drop of blue on you, they'll assume you're unable to tank.

xAislynnx
10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I definitely hear ya there. Will continue doing heroics and the dailies and get more badge gear. I did start making myself some titansteel, so maybe I can put that toward the Shield Wall. I'll also continue running reg ToCh as well to get whatever other upgrades I can get for her in there.

klor
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
It's funny, I've always been comfortable in my ability to heal on my shaman and dps on my rogue...
Why do we warrior tanks always have a shaman healer alt? :D

xAislynnx
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Why do we warrior tanks always have a shaman healer alt? :D

lol Actually, my rogue is my main... then my shaman became my main by default because a healer was always needed. Then I made my rogue my main again and retired the shaman because I got tired of healing all the time.

Now, I'm playing my warrior again and loving it :p . So, I guess I don't really have a "main" per se as I play the rogue and the warrior pretty evenly.

It's all very confusing and unnecessary, but meh.

Reev
10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I hear ya. I played my rogue as my main consistently for about 3 years, finally got my warrior to 70 and started playing them evenly, and ever since Wrath I haven't been able to put the warrior down. They're that fun to tank with. That's kind of coupled with the fact that I don't like the direction they've taken the rogue class. I'm kind of thinking about making another go of it nonetheless.

I don't have a shammy healer, but I do have a priest healer, and I love it. I think I'd get sick of healing all the time really quickly, but I'm lucky because I gnerally main tank all guild runs, so no one ever asks me to jump on my healer except for heroic or your odd pickup raid.