PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Gear Advice

Gizmmojr
10-01-2009, 12:20 AM
This is my first time ever asking for gear advice. ToC/ToGC gear is a bit overwhelming and I'm unsure because I always see pallies use 4 piece triumph instead of anything similar to what I want to do.[/URL]

Yes I will probably end up replacing the chest with triumph and pants with the jarraxus 25 pants.

I was curious on anyone elses thoughts on this and was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.

Also, yes I have alot of expertise. I have been debating on dropping my expertise glyph for another I'm thinking hammer of the righteous (1 additional target hit by it), and I'm also curious if anyone has a higher threat build. I feel as if divinity is just overhealing.

Please be polite about advice, I am not saying I am smarter/better then anybody. I am just looking for advice.

Armory: [URL="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Gizmmojr"]The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.chardev.org/?template=269139)
Future: chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner (http://www.chardev.org/?template=269139)

NOTE: I am not looking for advice on gear I will never receive or that will take a long time. All of this loot I have killed the bosses they drop off of besides Anub 10 ToGC (my guild is working on him after recently stepping foot in ToGC) we almost downed him after an entire 2 raid nights in ToGC (including first 4 bosses)

Yasmyna
10-01-2009, 05:05 AM
A couple of things I would point out for threat build is that you should only have one point in improved judgments. The 969 rotation is broken when you put two points in that talent and is spot on with one point. The 969 rotation is talked about in a number of places but I go over the basics here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/47497-threat-gen-problems.html).

Crusade is another good talent to get into because at its base it will up your damage by 3%, which beats just about any other option in terms of increased threat. You could take points out of Divinity or Divine Guardian. I dropped divinity and haven't really noticed a big change. It's an okay talent for an OT but I think your points are better spent elsewhere. I find less and less need for Divine Guardian but it's a situational talent and therefore a judgment call. Outside of heroics, 1 point in Spiritual Atonement is probably plenty. I have one point there and the only time I have mana regen issues is in heroics but gear and buffs can be adjusted there to compensate there(swap out tank for dps gear, throw up Sanctuary).

Don't have a lot of advice on the gear as I'm just getting into 25-man ToC myself (have done 10-man runs).

Kazeyonoma
10-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Wrong forum, moved.

Zothor
10-01-2009, 11:49 AM
A couple of things I would point out for threat build is that you should only have one point in improved judgments. The 969 rotation is broken when you put two points in that talent and is spot on with one point. The 969 rotation is talked about in a number of places but I go over the basics here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/47497-threat-gen-problems.html).

Crusade is another good talent to get into because at its base it will up your damage by 3%, which beats just about any other option in terms of increased threat. You could take points out of Divinity or Divine Guardian. I dropped divinity and haven't really noticed a big change. It's an okay talent for an OT but I think your points are better spent elsewhere. I find less and less need for Divine Guardian but it's a situational talent and therefore a judgment call. Outside of heroics, 1 point in Spiritual Atonement is probably plenty. I have one point there and the only time I have mana regen issues is in heroics but gear and buffs can be adjusted there to compensate there(swap out tank for dps gear, throw up Sanctuary).

Don't have a lot of advice on the gear as I'm just getting into 25-man ToC myself (have done 10-man runs).

A note: The 969 rotation is not AT ALL broken by 2/2 judgements - it simply only requires 1/2 judgements. The second point allows your CD to be up sooner, which has situational advantages (add pickups, offtanking w/ holyshield substitution, prot dps, Faction champs) but has not advantage maintanking. It is NOT HARMFUL though.

For TOC where virtually all the mobs are humanoid, undead, elemental or demon (i.e. they get double dipping from Crusade), the 53/18 spec that takes 3/3 crusade is without question the best threat build. Optional points in that build:

3/5 Conviction vs 1V 2/2 PoJ: Just depends how much you love your speed. Vindication should not be considered optional anymore.

3/5 Reckoning vs anything else below it (Imp HoJ, DS, etc): Divinity, as you've noticed, really is a crap talent. It's almost entirely overhealing. Don't waste the points.

1/2 Judment with 1/2 Imp Might or 1/5 Benediction vs 2/2 Judgement: Entirely flavor choice. None of these should affect your tanking in any way

As for your gearmap!

I don't like mark of the relentless in that set, at all. If you have TOC 10 Heroic Twin Valks down, the band of the twin valkyr heroic is DRASTICALLY more effective health. You can't realistically be having Expertise issues in TOC gear.

Also, the heroic Sabatons of the Linger Vortex from 10 man Valk give you more EH compared to your desired boots AND more hit rating, which is in short supply these days. Given the best in slot hit AND EH I persoanlly consider the 245 Sabatons overall best in slot maintanking boots (since frankly... avoidance is immaterial these days)

Otherwise, I mostly like the gear selections. Good luck with your drops.

Irat
10-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Before you go getting rid of the Expertise glyph give this a read:

Maintankadin • View topic - Calculating the avoidance value of expertise (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=25611&rb_v=viewtopic)

its really not as bad as you think.

Gizmmojr
10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah sorry for posting in wrong area, I noticed that a few minutes afterward.

Yes I know the ring/boots, I was mainly looking for advice on my Tier pieces.
Thanks for the spec advice that was a lot of help Zothor, yes I use 2/2 Judge for add pickups and have not noticed it mess up my rotation at all.