PDA

View Full Version : Possible Advice on Improving my Tanking

Lightshard
09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Hello.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to improve my tanking. I use a 969696 rotation, and do roughly 8k TPS in a 10-man.

Any gemming suggestions, spec suggestions... that type of thing would be appreciated. Complimants are awesome too. :cool:

Armory is: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&n=Lightshard)

kpxneophyte
09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Gems: Get epic gems. They'll boost your stam(and other stats for that matter) quite a bit. If you're low on cash, then get epic gems on items you know you'll keep for a while (e.g. shoulders and belt). For your red slots, either stick a stam gem inthere or put a 8 agi 12 stam or 10 agi 15 stam gem if you want to meet the gem bonus. You really don't have to gem for expertise due to the fact that you have Glyph of SoV. Lastly, you want to avoid gemming for straight defense. I know right now you're hurting in the defense department, but get those changed as soon as you can to either enduring gems or solid gems.

Talents: Take those points out of Divinity and one point out of Spiritual Attunement. Also, in your ret tree, take those points out of Benediction and 1 point out of Improved Judgement and put them into Heart of the Crusader and maybe 1 point into Improved Might. Fill Vindication up, get one point to Conviction (or max Improved Might) and fill up Crusade. In the end, your talent tree should look something like Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxsRobc:kGp)

Glyphs: Get rid of that SA glyph and get the Divine Plea Glyph.

Other than that, know your fights and keep everyone alive by letting that mob slap you around for a while.

Irat
09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Mate welcome to the Forum,

These are always had questions to answer because all i have to go on is an armory page but lest have a crack. Ill start with Spec.

Imo your over spent in Prot and your points in ret are a little confused. First you need to make a choice between DS and Divinity. DS if for utility Divinity if for survivability (though its efficiency is questionable) and between them you should only be spending 3 points. Secondly take 1 point out of SA, 2 points there is just overkill. Then i would drop at least 4 points from benediction. This frees up a fair few points to push further down the ret tree and should look something like this: (Assuming you value divinity)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0uMusIufdtsMobc (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0uMusIufdtsMobc)

Secondly on Glyphs. Drop SA, if you need to glyph for mana you are doing something wrong, between Divine plea, 1 point in SA and BoSanc you have heaps of mana coming in. Glyph of Righteous Defense is good to start with but once you start getting some hit on your gear you can probably drop it (we have two taunts so misses are not the end of it). Instead I would pick up Glyph of Divine Plea (pretty much 3% DR all the time) then the 2nd major is a choice between Glyph of Judgment or Glyph of HotR depending on your preference.

Right onto gearing. Your getting a solid collection of gear but it looks a bit miss matched, so does your Gemming. My general rule is that if a socket bonus is less the +9Stam ignore it. And Gem to an items Strength. So basically you should be build 3 sets of gear, and EH set, An avoidance set, and a Threat/BV set. If a piece (like you pants) fits strongly into one of those areas (like BV) then gem for that.

It feels like i have already written a novel so i will stop there but ask anything else you want.

Lightshard
09-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Alright, thanks for the help so far.
A couple questions...

What benefits does that spec give? I do value divinity, but don't know why I would go for increased damage. I would like to know exact benefits before I drop 50g on a respec.
How much Hit should I have before I drop Glyph of Righteous Defense?

3 Sets of gear seems... insane. Do I need to do this, or are there ways to avoid that? I am not shooting for being in a top of server guild, but I want to perform well.

kpxneophyte
09-30-2009, 07:57 PM
You could get away with a mixture of an EH set and avoidance set, though at the very least you would want an EH set and an avoidance set.

As your DPS gets geared, they'll end up doing more threat than you with the current spec you are in. More damage results to more threat and faster killing times (though your damage input is oftentimes quite negligible. Makes heroics go faster though!).

As for how much hit you need to drop the Righteous Defense glyph....you need around 17% (I think). The Righteous Defense glyph just makes sure you don't miss your taunt (given that you are melee hit capped).

Lightshard
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Alright, so the spec change is needed then.

And melee hit ca is 8%, so I need 7% because I am a Draenai.

Irat
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Im only at 109 hit rating and I have droped the glyph I will reglyph it for fights where missing a taunt will cause a wipe (Gorok HM) but apart from that i just rely on the second tanut.

My breakdown of the 3 choices in low prot:
Divinty - 3% extra heals is not somthing that your healers are going to be counting on and most of the time it will just = more overheals. In a bad situation 3% extra heals is unlikley to save you but it is the only survivability talent in the choices

Reckoning - Porbably the most stright foward of the choices it = more threat. It is still one of the weakest threat talents but more threat is more threat

DS - This one is really situational, I have seen it save raids but alot of the time it is only usable by the OT. There are some cases where i use it as the MT ie, XT's Tantrums, Mim Phase2, If my Twin is vortexing etc etc. Its a last ditch save and nothing more. We shall call it Raid Wall.

Lightshard
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Yet another question for you...

What kind of content will I be looking at being in before this Spec change becomes necessary?
Also, is Vindication necessary?

Irat
09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Any, they are not really content specific changes, they are little changes through which you will see more benefit from your spec.

Your current spec is not going to hamper you to much, except for maybe threat sensitive fights but make some of the changes that Kpxneophyte and I suggested and you should see better threat without much if any loss of survivability.

kpxneophyte
09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Vindication is a free AP reduction talent. All you have to do is Judge/Shield of Righteousness/Hammer of the Righteous and it'll come with it. It also frees up a GCD for a warrior who is demo shouting and even then, Vindication is better than a regular demo shout (aka unspecced). Less AP = Less Damage done to you = More survivability.

Lightshard
09-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Aight, thanks a ton for the help.

Irat
09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
No probs. Any time.

Andruskis
10-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Well about Vindication, it is more a pvp talent than pve.

Well it does reduce attack power from some mobs, but most raid bosses are immune to it so all raid bosses wont get affected by it

And I would stack either agility or strenght with stamina instead of hit, expertise and dodge raiting.
You can use +24stamina gem on all blue sockets, but to be able to get and keep aggro you need to make some damage with threat modifying skills.

Strenght gives you attack power and block and agility gives you dodge chanse, more armor and crit chanse so choise between agility and strenght with stamina gems is all up to you. Using holy shield increases your chanse to dodge, block and parry attacks, so you dont need to gem those, and thanks to your Libram of the Sacred Shield, it also increases your block value of your shield by 450 for 20 sec.

Remember to keep holy shield up and you wont loose Block value buff as long as you are equeping Libram of the Sacred Shield.

About Divinity, it is pretty much useless unless you are thinking of using it with full buffed SA (only use is mana boost, but you should use Divine Plea).

Benediction is totally useless because your tanking abilities except taunts, consecration and judgements are not instant cast spells
For spec I could go with Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZVMtAruMhsIufdxf0x).

If you got problem with getting aggro, then Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZV0tAduMhsIufdxf0h) could be good for aggroing,
allthough tanking with this spec can be quite horrible.

About glyphs, you really dont need glyph of seal of vengance because paladins rely on judgements. If you got spell hit cap, that's all what you need. Judgements are spells, and thus you can miss hit when casting them, but no one can dodge, blcok or parry them.

Other glyph which is quite useless is blessing of kings. Paladin tank needs sanctuarry, if you are in a group where is 2 paladins and they start complaining not getting kings, then give them minor version of whatever buff they ask.

Kings gives you 10 % of all stats which is quite nice if you need minor stamina and dps boost when adds are getting bit tough.

Sanctuarry decreases all damage you take by 3%, increases strength and stamina by 10 % and gives 2 % of maximum displayed mana back everytime you dodge, parry or block melee attacks.

kpxneophyte
10-01-2009, 04:57 AM
Well about Vindication, it is more a pvp talent than pve.

Well it does reduce attack power from some mobs, but most raid bosses are immune to it so all raid bosses wont get affected by it

Not true. Every boss that I've encountered so far (up til 25 man ToC) have been affected by vindication. What I think you're thinking of is the old vindication where it reduced a percentage of stats.

Andruskis
10-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Not true. Every boss that I've encountered so far (up til 25 man ToC) have been affected by vindication. What I think you're thinking of is the old vindication where it reduced a percentage of stats. Thanks, I thought it is still the same but different stat reducement

Mert
10-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Nope, every boss that can be affected by Demo Shout can be affected by Vindication, which is just about all of them.