PDA

View Full Version : Cameras/Photography

Demianu27
09-30-2009, 02:46 AM
So I'm a new owner of a Nikon D60 camera with an 18-55mm lens and I honestly don't know what that means.

Besides the manual, where can I find out great info on photography and cameras? Any good forums/websites you might know of?

!3M
09-30-2009, 02:56 AM
grats :)

erm... it would help if you could specify what sort of information you are looking for? techniques for photography or more technical stuff which explains what your camera functions means?

for tips and techniques i usually rely on magazines such as Digital Camera, Digital SLR while i do refer to some fashion magazines on some styles or ideas for potrait photography...

last bit of question would be are you a person who would try to understand the basics before you start applying that to your photography or are you more of a 'i want that result, what should i do?' kind of person...

Demianu27
09-30-2009, 05:38 AM
I would like to learn the basics first.

And thanks for the idea about the magazines, I should pick some up.

Tobius
09-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Books and magazines are a good starting point. Head over to a good bookshop and browse the photography books for something that suits you. Judging from your comments I'd guess you are a complete beginner, probably the best thing you can do is stick your camera on Auto (or one of the preset functions, landscape / portrait / etc..) and go out and take some pics.

If you get results you aren't happy with have a think about what went wrong and what you need to do to improve it, and gradually start playing with more of the manual settings (aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc..) once you start to get more of a feel for things.

As for websites, I tend to look at :

Amateur Photographer & What Digital Camera: Viewing list of forums (http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums)

Demianu27
09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
^^ That's a great site. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

And I guess I should go out there and just take pictures :D I have today off.... guess I'll go out!

!3M
09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
one book that i'd really recommend would be the one written by Scott Kelby on Digital Photography... I think it is currently at the 3rd volume... the contents are easy reading and it basically teaches you what to do and how to set yourself up for the type of shots...

that said, I'd recommend understanding what aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance is all about and how it relates to your pictures to fully maximize the dSLRs potential... also, now that you have the options... try your best to stay away from the 'P'rogram mode...