PDA

View Full Version : Which Alt to Roll?

Eravian
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
So my brother recently started playing again, and we got our accounts set up with Recruit-A-Friend. Since I'm bad at leveling alts, I figured I'd take advantage of the massive 300% XP boost to power raise one to 60 quick... so I thought I'd take a poll and see which class people think I should go for!

I already have a warrior (tank), DK is out because the XP bonus stops at 60 (and my DK is level 63 - dps), and a level 15 Paladin (healer) I'll use. This leaves my choices:

Priest
Hunter
Warlock
Druid
Shaman
Mage
Rogue

We'll be playing Alliance side, and I "think" he's planning on using a hunter, so let the poll begin (provided I set it up right)! Let me know which you think I should choose, and why!

Volador
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm going to say (given the hunter levelling partner), a healer of some type (even small heals) is an ideal partner.

So, either a priest or a shaman.

There are upsides and downsides to each. Priests damage spells aren't too hot to begin with, shaman share armor type with hunters, etc.

If I had to narrow down which I levelled with a hunter, I'd go shaman. Shared gear can be dealt with a lot easier than underperformance. I'd level it elemental (my choice) or enhance (easier choice) and just pop heals on his pet when needed.

Edit: Just noticed I completely overlooked druids. Druids would be a great option as well. The only hesitancy I'd have with one is casting a heal would pop you out of form (40+). That's not overly concerning overall, though.

Kurtosis
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
NE Druid by far. The single most versatile race/class combo in the game. Can heal, tank, melee dps, ranged dps, stealth, and even Vanish (Shadowmeld is one of the few abilities besides rogue's Vanish that can break combat, see wowwiki's useful Druid macro's for making a NE druid vanish macro).

Perfect compliment to a hunter - powerful buffs for both pet and hunter, can let pet tank and pop out and heal, or can go bear tank on the hard stuff w/ the hunter dps'ing and healing his own pet.

They're also just really fun - insta-cast flight form ftw, can cast even while falling. Best Mine/Herb farmer in the game too, if you care about that. Can gather herbs in flight,travel,cat,bear form.

My main is an Orc DK tank, but I have a 70 tauren druid druid farmer I'm leveling on the side. Sometimes I wish I were alliance just to have a NE druid.

The only hesitancy I'd have with one is casting a heal would pop you out of form (40+). That's not overly concerning overall, though.
I was wondering about this too recently. Eg, how do druids solo elites and things when they have to pop out of bear form to self-heal? I asked a druid zealot friend of mine (who has multiboxed 4 or 5 of em on the same realm), and he said you pop Barkskin (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=22812) first, pop out, heal rebuff, etc, then go back in. And on stunnable mobs, use Bash (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=8983) (talented (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=16941)) first if Barkskin is down.

orcstar
09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Seeing you've already got a tank and are leveling a paladin healer, you might wanne go for a change and play a ranged damage dealer: a warlock. I don't know how well the synergy with the hunter will be but I think warlocks have quite fun mechanics to fiddle with: a bag of trick to do kill and annoy.
In my experience the dps-ing of a "pure" class is more fun then the limited dpsing (not in numbers but in options) of a hybrid class.

Niian
09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
You have rogue twice on the poll.
One should be priest, and that's what I'd vote for :)

Bloodwraith
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
If you can use someone's account (dual box) or get someone to run instances, you can level ridiculously fast. A few months after WotLK I RAF'd an account and triple boxed one of ever class to 60. Did 1-60 in roughly 12-13 hours played. I got one of every class up to 60 within the free month of buying vanilla WoW for the second account :D

In terms of classes it comes down to what role you want to play. Once you decide that you can narrow your decision down to a few classes and then from there pick the most appealing one.

Fusik
09-30-2009, 02:38 AM
All and all if you got someone to run you instances the class choices should be ignored. I have done the combo of, pally/druid, priest/priest and warlock/warlock.

Mind you I did all the running of the instances on a buddies pally and then my friend dualboxed the two characters.

Time play was like 8hours or something like that.

Good luck mate :D

Bloodwraith
09-30-2009, 04:02 AM
All and all if you got someone to run you instances the class choices should be ignored. I have done the combo of, pally/druid, priest/priest and warlock/warlock.

Mind you I did all the running of the instances on a buddies pally and then my friend dualboxed the two characters.

Time play was like 8hours or something like that.

Good luck mate :D

What was your leveling progression?

I did 1-15 daul boxing with keyclone. Then Stocks, SM, ZF, Scholo.

Trork
09-30-2009, 06:04 AM
I would go as Shaman, it is alot of fun (either as enhancement and elemental), got one stuck at a spanish speaking server, but as soon as i get him to the one i got my main and my guild at, I will be going arena as resto, and raids as elemental (once my guild improves on the high-end pve), can't wait ^.^

Gearfighter
09-30-2009, 06:13 AM
go druid, can u say go all 3 roles?????

Volador
09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
go druid, can u say go all 3 roles?????

4 roles ;) Tank, Healer, melee DPS, caster/ranged DPS

Gearfighter
09-30-2009, 06:22 AM
oh woops lol. my bad, either way....druid ftw alt wise

Eravian
10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the input, all! I'll probably go for a druid, since, as many people mentioned, the versatility is a great thing in an alt.

Fusik
10-13-2009, 06:49 AM
What was your leveling progression?

I did 1-15 daul boxing with keyclone. Then Stocks, SM, ZF, Scholo.

Errr Keyclone is that dual box when when you push 1 on one of the screens it auto pushes on the other one right? Heh.

Anyways I did 1-8 Questing and then went right to instances.

RFC
SFK
SM
ZF
Scholo
and then BRD or whatever it is.

That was for the first two combos. The Warlock/Warlock I did 1-40 instances and he did the rest. I believe he did ZF till 50 and then quested till 60 which was still pretty fast.

Bloodwraith
10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Errr Keyclone is that dual box when when you push 1 on one of the screens it auto pushes on the other one right? Heh.

Anyways I did 1-8 Questing and then went right to instances.

RFC
SFK
SM
ZF
Scholo
and then BRD or whatever it is.

Yeah keyclone does that. pretty much leveled a DPS/Healer combo. DPS and healer would nuke with one button press :D

I'm alliance so skipping VC (it's crap exp and hard to make large pulls) and went straight to Stocks.

Fusik
10-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah keyclone does that. pretty much leveled a DPS/Healer combo. DPS and healer would nuke with one button press :D

I'm alliance so skipping VC (it's crap exp and hard to make large pulls) and went straight to Stocks.

Yeah that would be your best bet.