PDA

View Full Version : Feral Tank Spec Q's

Fealthas
09-29-2009, 07:47 AM
So recently I've been listening to warrior tanks complain about a lack of a vindication/demo roar/shout debuff on the boss and that got me thinking about my druid alt. Currently my spec is
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Tanaris&cn=Gaffigan&gn=Strategery and I was thinking about switching to
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0ZgGGscrzceRcMzAkby0z. Are the two points in Feral Agg really going to be a big deal when I'm tanking a boss? Is it worth taking the two points from where I did or would there be a better place? Thanks

adizs
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Your wowhead spec is quite similar to mine. I got 3/3 IW though. I think they are definitely worth it. It wont probably make or break a fight but the smallest thing I can do to help my healers is good enough for me. On a boss that has alot of physical damage those two points probably accounts for ~1% (feel free to correct me, just an extremely uneducated guess) damage decrease.

Viridios
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
My spec:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0ZEGGscrzceRcczVkbA0z)

When I last respecced, mine was one of 2 "ideal" specs that were under discussion. I think most people finally decided on the other one.

A few notes about your spec nobody has noted yet:

Infected Wounds - your current has 2/3, planned has 3/3. Take the 3, it's a useful debuff in situations where you might be the only person attacking a particular mob [Twin Valkyrs].

Feral Aggression - This is a variable-use talent. Personally, I rarely use Demo roar, since it complicates the rotation. In the situations where I *do* use it, it's because I need every bit of mitigation I can get. Gormok, Ignis [we have an OT pick up the adds and nuke him w/o worrying] and Yogg phase 3 adds are all good places to use it. If you don't anticipate being a tank for those - don't worry about it.

Furor - WHY god WHY? I mean, sure, I have it as well [3/5], but that's just because it's better than Nature's Focus. Seriously, how often are you changing forms in threat-critical situations where you need to instantly have rage?

Fealthas
09-29-2009, 12:49 PM
personally I like Furor because starting a fight with 40 rage > 30 rage, especially when my dps like to jump the gun.

Viridios
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM
personally I like Furor because starting a fight with 40 rage > 30 rage, especially when my dps like to jump the gun.

See, this is what hunters and rogues are for. Misdirect ftw.

Though it does sound pretty reasonable, the extra 2 points are good for other things.

Oh yeah, and I forgot the number 1 thing: Improved Mangle. Some people have done the math to show that as a general rule it's just not worth it to take that talent. It causes conflicts with FFF, it interrupts the cycle and makes an unusual rotation.

FFF+Mangle+Lacerate/Swipe+Lacerate/Swipe = 6 sec rotation [lacerate or swipe, depending on refreshing the stack]

As I understand it, iMangle+FFF+L/S+iMangle+L/S+FFF+iMangle+L/S+L/S repeat is a more complicated, slightly greater threat rotation - that becomes lower threat for anything involving multiple mobs, or if you miskey anything.

Liquidska
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I used a spec very simmiliar to the one that you are sugessting for a long time. The only true diffrence is IW is 3/3 and furor is 3/5.

In my eyes, 3/3 IW is nessecary for tanking. If you look tanking warriors, DK's and pallys all have acess to a 20% attack speed reduction ability fairly easy. Blizzard assumes that anytime a mob is attacking a tank it is attacking with this debuff on them. It is part of blizz's caculation of what kind of damage a tank will take. I am not saying that you can't get by with out this, but if you don't have that 20% slow on the boss somehow then you are taking damage faster then what the encounter is balanced around.

Rest of your spec looks fine though, I OT'd Uldur 25 when it first came out with that spec and did just fine. The enhanced demo roar will probally never make or break a fight, but less damage is less damage.