PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior talents n such.

Adryen
09-27-2009, 11:02 AM
I've read some about going more into arms than what I am and dropping everything from fury. I am curious to know if how I am spec'd n geared atm is ok for Wrath as I have had a several month downtime away from the game and am not sure if things have changed. Here's a link to my armory :

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Mug%27thol&cn=Adryen&gn=Bushido)

Any tips would be appreciated. I am a firm believer in people making the best spec that works for them but also understand...there is always someone who knows more.

Thanks again for any help. :)

krc
09-27-2009, 12:07 PM
The fist thing I would change with your glyphs and spec is grab Glyph of Shieldwall and Glyph of Devastate. I would also take two points out of puncture, 5 out of cruelty, 2 out of imp revenge since devastate is by far better as of 3.2 and I feel like Imp Spell reflect is only worth it for a heavy survival spec. With all those points I would put them into Improved Heroic Strike, Imp Charge, Impale and Deepwounds. The tps you will get from those talents will far outweigh those from Cruelty, Improved Revenge and Puncture.

With that you will still have one point left over and with that I would put it in Improved Disciplines. And for the last point in Improved Disciplines I would take it from either Vigiliance or Improved Shield specilization, I feel like you will get more tps with Vigiliance than 1 more rage on avoidance but it is really your decision.

For your gear I would reccomend staying away from gemming for strength unless you are using a heavy trash or block set, because strength offers less survival than avoidance or EH and less threat than expertise or hit. I would try and get some more expertise also even my EH and avoidance set where my main focus is EH or avoidance I still try to attempt to be above 26 experise with food. Unless you are using an heavy EH set I would reccomend putting 20 defense on your shield. And finally the minor glyph Glyph of Command is good for just pure convienence.

Other than those small things everything looks pretty good, I hope that answers any questions you might have.

Athenodorus
09-27-2009, 07:28 PM
If you have only one prot spec, I would make it a 2-min Shield Wall spec (thus using the Shield Wall glyph and Imp Disciplines 2/2). The utility is tremendous. Being able to wall more than one of Koralon's meteor fists for instance, is very nice. To find the points: Puncture is not great, and Imp Spell Reflection is useful on only a couple fights.

Instead of Glyph of Mocking Blow, consider something like Command. For Majors, Devastate is lovely (phantom threat as well as what you see on the tooltip; see the mechanics forum for more info). I'd replace revenge with Shield Wall to facilitate the 2-min SW plan.

Now for gear. You seem to be on the right track. Your pants are better than mine for progression tanking (I've been unlucky). But consider gemming expertise/sta in those red slots (if you want the socket bonus) instead of str/def. Note that the 15sta from an expertise/sta gem in that piece would give you nearly as much stamina as your shield enchant, so that even if you have to reenchant for def to shield it's a net gain.

Adryen
09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys...as soon as the cable guy comes and I can log back on to WoW I'll try that stuff out (I hate moving). I've read alot about deepwounds but wasn't sure where to grab the points from. :)

Noiranda
09-29-2009, 03:09 AM
As the others have already said, I would recommend you to spec to a Deep Wounds build with Imp Disciplines and the glyphed Shield Wall, something like this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZmItMx0didIzsGo:cTd)

As for the glyphs I would recommend grabbing the Devastate Glyph as it lets you get Sunders up faster (Might increase the dmg aswell? Think I've read something about that) to boost the melee dps and your threat a little bit.
With Imp Disciplines you should definently take the Shield Wall Glyph aswell to reduce Shield wall to a 2-min cd, it's really helpful on alot of fight.
The last glyph I would take is the Glyph of Blocking as it helps a bit on migation and extra dmg on your Shield Slam.

As for your stats you're a bit overcapped on hit atm, and very low on expertise.
You should aim to see if you can get your hit around to 8% and should try and see if you can raise your expertise to 26 which is the soft cap.
If you can get the legs from normal ToC and replace them with your 25 man OS legs that would give you a bit more expertise and also give you a bit less hit.

As for your gems, gemming for parry is a very bad idea, and you should stick exp / stam gems in the red sockets instead. As for the blue ones go with pure stamina gems and for the yellow sockets, I would either go with a pure stamina gem (if you feel the socket bonus isn't worth to get), or a defense / stam gem (if you lack defense) or a hit / stam gem (if you need hit).

Suessa
09-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Most has been covered. A really, really simple answer is "Take points out of Improved Spell Reflection, Puncture, and Focused rage, and use them to get to (or get close to) Deep Wounds in the arms tree."

Meythos
09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys...as soon as the cable guy comes and I can log back on to WoW I'll try that stuff out (I hate moving). I've read alot about deepwounds but wasn't sure where to grab the points from. :)

Hey man,

Lot of good advice here. I'd also recommend the following thread: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/54066-prot-warrior-bis-toc-ulduar-hardmode-gear-list.html#post270053

Squirrelnut (srry on the spelling man :confused: ) did a really nice job of summing up the gear that's out there for tanking but, if you go to section 3 of his post, there's a nice compilation of spec's to look over.

I approve of experimentation... but why reinvent the wheel!
happy tanking
M

Adryen
09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
you guys rock...is definitely an upgrade :)

rox
10-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Glyph of sunder armor and devestate is a waste. Being specced into focus rage is a waste as well.
Pick up glyph of vigilence and see a tps increase of anywhere between 200-400 tps. This is worth more than the increaes ghost threat (which is very very minimal, we are talking 500 threat at the initial start of the fight)from stacking your sunders two (ya just two) swings faster. Also this holds off your highest threat generator by 5% (the reciepient of your vig which should change if somebody found the right buffs on a gimmick fight IE hodir). Sunder armor glyph is very situational and will not help you more than say glyph of blocking when you consider that with the 9.0 4 piece bonus having a shortened shield block this will in fact help you have bigger shield slams and increase the amount of your shield block. You are talking about having shield block being increased by 10% 1/3 of any fight.
Also you guys are all talking about focus rage as being a valuable thing to spec into. This simply is not true. With our buff to shield specialization (which needs to be 5/5) and the fact that northrend beasts impale tick for close to 20k ... rage should never be an issue. You have to literally Get lucky to be rage starved on almost any encounter in toc.
The old addage was be geared for situations. I never do much more than switch out weapons/shield and trinkets to either go for mitigation or EH. Block heavy sets are kinda out these days because blockvalue has a soft cap that should never be breached.
Good luck with your tanking and I hope you gain some better results as you get through content.

krc
10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Glyph of Devastate currently adds massive amounts of threat and is in no way useless.http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/53864-3-2-threat-values-devastate.html read this thread and still be able to say that the best threat glyph in the game is useless.

I still gear for the situation and find it very helpful. So you gear for mitigation or EH which are about half the same, for a fight like Kologarn your survivability will greatly increase if you are using an avoidance set as opposed to EH because of his debuff. If you are using an avoidance set though like Rox said make sure you don't switch out too much EH for avoidance because of how hard bosses hit these days and the risk of getting 2 shotted.

rox
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Getting to a five stack of something you should be spamming anyway and will not be falling off the boss.
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/39775-wow-3-0-threat-values.html
You are gaining threat by being at five stacks and continuing your rotation/priority. Glyph of devestate is simply only putting your stacks there in three gcds as opposed to five.
If you are planning on letting stacks fall off then by all means let the stacks fall.
5% gain in tps from the top lock in your raid pulling 5ktps will def. beat out any threat gained from getting there two swings faster.
The thing your linked thread didn't take into account
Devastate: Weapon damage and bonus per Sunder Armor on the target increased by 100%. This ability now requires a shield to be equipped.
WoW -> Patch Notes -> Current Patch Notes (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/)
That original testing was done before this. The glyph of devestate devestating seems to be done after. If there is something updated comparing the two but my personal testing (though not as precise as anything tankspot can do) hasn't yielded anything promising. If my assumption here is wrong please let me know.
If you need to model this might as well do it from the best.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Sen%27jin&cn=Xav&gn=Premonition)
He is glyphing for taunt because wow is evil and left hit rating off most toc gear and something I am entertaining.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-achievements.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&cn=Karnage&gn=Scripted+Encounter)
Anyway, this maybe leading to derailing your original questions but good luck and I'm now looking into learning more about this glyph.
-rox

MellvarTank
10-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Check out WarTotem's "Complete Prot Warrior TPS/DPS" thread, download the spreadsheet. Devastate (glyphed) is your highest TPS ability.

Glyphing for Taunt seems like a bit of a waste, as taunt is subject to diminishing returns.

rox
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
When Gormock has 3 stacks on another tank and it is your turn to taunt and you are sitting at 84 hit there is a chance mocking blow and taunt will miss.

I am talking about current raid content and being geared from it. These problems may not refer to the content you are seeking to tank and/or your roles in these fights.

krc
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
What I do actually Rox and alot of other tanks are doing is carrying a stack of Glyph of Tuants and Glyphs of Devastate and for fights where missing a taunt could cause a wipe like you said Gormok Glyph of Taunt surpasses Devastate and I use it. But for most other ones I use Glyph of Devastate.