PDA

View Full Version : Starting Tank, Trinkets, Boot and Wep Enchants help.

Ferghus
09-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Hello, I leveled to 80 and promptly quit before 3.1 hit (Was primarily arms and really dissatisfied). I just came back and have decided to tank.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tortheldrin&n=Ferghus)

That's my armory, as you can see I had some decent luck in ToC (damn you Paletress, no glove love)

But anyway, my question is, are there any obvious improvements that you can see that are easily correctable through farming? I'm lacking on the badges and play time right now, but they will start coming soon.

Also, I just got the Sen'jin axe, and was wondering if Mongoose is still viable, or if there's another enchant I should be going for?

Finally, I have four trinkets.

The Black Heart (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216)
Figurine - Monarch Crab (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44063) [Solid Dragon's Eye, Enduring Eye of Zul]
Bubbling Brightbrew Charm (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49118)
Brawler's Souvenir (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49080)

Which two of the four would compliment my notable lack of gear?

Are there any other places where I have bad gemming/enchants?

As to the bracers, I really don't want to blow 450g for 40 stam on those bracers.

Also, Tuskarr's Vitality (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44491)or Greater Fortitude ? (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38966)

Firstprime
09-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Youre right on track. Only upgrade for you from farming would be an armor plated shotgun. Other than that keep running reg and heroic toc daily. You can find helm, neck, shoulder, and a weapon upgrade from heroic mode. You said youre already working on getting the gloves from reg toc but there are also a pair from heroic gundrak which you could work on as well. There are also bracers from heroic old kingdom which you could go for as well.

Some people might disagree but I'm a firm believer in tuskarrs vitality. Run speed is amazing for a tank.

Hades
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
For some reason, my IE is being a shmuck and won't let me armory you. That said, all I can really speak on is the trinkets. BIG stam is win. The brew charm thing, and the way you've got your crab gemmed, that's a good combo. When your gear steps up a notch or three, I'd personally switch out the brew thing for the Black Heart or Essence of Gossamer when you pick it up (Subtle hint?). When you get to a point that it won't drop you below like 25k or so, I'd go with a brawler charm/Black Heart combo for the hella mitigation. For your enchant, I agree with Tuskarr's Vitality. Run speed helps a great deal.. I'm just not sure how much it speeds you up. lol

Ferghus
09-28-2009, 12:47 AM
My armory's in my crappy arms gear right now anyway, but completely unbuffed with Monarch Crab/Brewfest on I'm sitting at

23,491 Armor
541 Defense
20.06% dodge
18.47% parry
20.08% block
872 Block Value :(
31,441 Hit Points.

I can use the Tattered Castle Drape and Burning Skull Pendant, and have 1102 block value, but I lose .5% parry and drop to 539 defense (damn you!)

Now, the kicker that bit me in the ass 3x in Naxx tonight, 49 hit rating (halp) and dropped down to 21 expertise. Definitely have tograb a weapon chain my wep as over agility/mongoose, and I seriously need to pick up some hit.

!3M
09-28-2009, 01:06 AM
first off grats on the trinklets...

hmmm.... everything everyone said except on the Essence of Gossamer which Hades mentioned (it's a good trinklet, I just think that you have better ones now)... unless you're tanking a big grp of mobs... even then, I'd prolly run with Black Heart and the Monarch Crab... my reasoning is that the the Crab with your gem will give you +114 stam while the Essence only gives +111... to top that off the Eye of Zul that you've gemmed adds another +12 stam (which then gives you +9 from soket bonus) which makes it a total of +135 stam... and you get a nifty avoidance CD as well...

Skaggi
09-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi there!

At your stam level I would go for double brewfest stam charms. If you're unlucky with the other charm take the black heart.

Monarch crab always seems so tempting with it's short CD but dodge trinkets are not what they used to be. And now the kicker: you loose one extra jewelers gem on your gear if you swap around a trinket for a certain fight.

Trinkets are the easiest form of customization and by socketing that crab like that you slightly gimp yourself in that area.

If you outgear the content (Naxx for example) you can easily switch to a +hit trinket (brewfest again has one as I recall) for added threat and DPS.

Cheers!
skaggi

Griff
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't done the math but I suspect the black heart is better than the brewfest charm with the proc.

I wouldn't mess with the brawler's charm, you shouldn't need that much avoidance in heroics.

Your defense is fine for heroics, but if you plan on tanking Naxx, you'll need a bit more defense.

Some quick upgrades would be the boe valor badge wrists, the boe ulduar shield and the boe tanking ring for Sartharion. Also, the +4 stats enchant on your wrists is unappealing.

nethervoid
09-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Gear:

Neck - Upgrade out of H ToC
Back - 25 Badges of Valor (I think)
Wrists - Upgrade out of H OK (same damn bracers I'm after! lol)
Shield - Might want to think about picking up a shield with more def on it - Will help with other slots - Titansteel shield wall (64 def) or H CoS shield
Ranged - Armor Plated Shotgun is awesome (bout 500g in mats, I think)
Trinkets - I would use the biggest stam ones you can get (double brewfest trinks)
Ring - 25 Badges (56 def!)
Hands - Gloves from reg ToC are a no brainer, as you can farm it all in one day until they drop

I'm wearing most of what I just suggested, if you need names - Check my sig.

Enchants:

Shoulders - Get exaulted with Sons of Hodir so you can get the better shoulder enchant
Back - Once you get the badge ring, you should be able to put armor on your back instead of def
Chest - Once you get more def you should be able to put super health on your chest - Or you'll be able to put more stam gems in your gear and just leave your chest enchant - Not sure how that will work - Depends on future gear
Wrists - Don't enchant those POS wrists beyond what you have now - Get an upgrade and THEN put the +40 stam enchant on them
Weapon - Blood draining is my pref (but I'm an EH nut)
Shield - If you had more def, you could put +18 stam here
Boots - IMO +22 stam is best here - If you need to run somewhere, charge or intervene - Use heroic throw - Moving around many times means the damn boss and adds move with you - This can really fark up the situation - My credo: don't move unless I have to - Taunt: the mob will come to you!
Hands - I like what you've got on them now - Threat shouldn't be an issue at this point in gear, so stam stam more stam

Gems:

Not sure what the socket color is on your chest, but you might be able to put a stam/def gem in there or something to get the socket bonus and add a little def in the process.

I like your other gem choices.

Ferghus
09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Gear:

Neck - Upgrade out of H ToC Just dropped for me.
Back - 25 Badges of Valor (I think) Gloves are getting my badge priority.
Wrists - Upgrade out of H OK (same damn bracers I'm after! lol) Yeah, just won't drop!
Shield - Might want to think about picking up a shield with more def on it - Will help with other slots - Titansteel shield wall (64 def) or H CoS shield Back up to 543 defense with HToC neck, and have CoS shield as well.
Ranged - Armor Plated Shotgun is awesome (bout 500g in mats, I think) Farming for that now.
Trinkets - I would use the biggest stam ones you can get (double brewfest trinks)
Ring - 25 Badges (56 def!) Gloves are getting my badge priority because the heroic gloves are a downgrade (lol).
Hands - Gloves from reg ToC are a no brainer, as you can farm it all in one day until they drop I'm at 14x runs, 2 Paletress shows, leather both times.

I'm wearing most of what I just suggested, if you need names - Check my sig.

Enchants:

Shoulders - Get exaulted with Sons of Hodir so you can get the better shoulder enchant Working on it everyday, farm as many everfrost as I can stomach a day
Back - Once you get the badge ring, you should be able to put armor on your back instead of def Thanks for the pointer
Chest - Once you get more def you should be able to put super health on your chest - Or you'll be able to put more stam gems in your gear and just leave your chest enchant - Not sure how that will work - Depends on future gear I'll probably keep the defense rating, as upgrading right now tends to drop me below 540. I'd like to sit at 550 for now due to this.
Wrists - Don't enchant those POS wrists beyond what you have now - Get an upgrade and THEN put the +40 stam enchant on them My thoughts exactly, I hate these bracers so much but nothing will drop.
Weapon - Blood draining is my pref (but I'm an EH nut)
Shield - If you had more def, you could put +18 stam here See Chest Enchant.
Boots - IMO +22 stam is best here - If you need to run somewhere, charge or intervene - Use heroic throw - Moving around many times means the damn boss and adds move with you - This can really fark up the situation - My credo: don't move unless I have to - Taunt: the mob will come to you! Sound reasoning.
Hands - I like what you've got on them now - Threat shouldn't be an issue at this point in gear, so stam stam more stam Yeah, and chanting mats are high on my server, don't want to drop 250g enchant on crappy gloves: See bracers.

Gems:

Not sure what the socket color is on your chest, but you might be able to put a stam/def gem in there or something to get the socket bonus and add a little def in the process. Socket colors are pure yellow. While I could run two Enduring Eye of Zul, I'd lose 42 stamina to pick up 20 defense rating.

I like your other gem choices.

Thanks, I'll answer in bold blue.

Muffin Man
09-28-2009, 04:05 PM
If you're sick of farming there are a few alternatives:

The valor wrists are 60 emblems or gold.

And for hands, there's also the T7 hands for 60 emblems.

Both are a little pricey compared to conquest gear, but if your farming doesn't net you any love then there's always that.

nethervoid
09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Ooh yeah double yellow slots on the chest. No thanks. I thought maybe it was a blue and yellow or something.