PDA

View Full Version : Spec review

Dabaws
09-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Hi

I'm pretty much new to WoW and this is my main char. As you can guess it's a tank. I'd like a review of this spec which i've made up myself from my leveling experience. If possible also comment on my weapon enchant, lots of ppl have whispered me that it sux and blade ward is better but so far i am very happy with Blood Draining, it's really useful when you go below 35% and goes very good with Ardent Defender.

I mainly do HC's as i'am limited time wise atm, but in the near future i want to start 10man raiding. I've never had problems in HC's, very little wipe (0 were i screwed up) but i do have a little mana problem and have to switch my seal to SoW sometimes.

Any tips and critics are welcome.

This is my armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmane&n=Dabaws)

Irat
09-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Dabaws, welcome mate.

Blood Draining is a fine enchant and if fact is the only EH enchant that we can get. Personally i would take it over Blade Ward for sure.

On your spec/glyphs the points spent in the prot tree are solid, I wouldn’t change anything there. In Ret though you really shouldn’t need (or want) to take Benediction. It sounds good but it really isn’t much help, our mana pools are so small that 10% extra isn’t really significant. The basic man rule of Prot Paladin is,
Get Devine plea up before the pull
If you are having Mana trouble bless Sanc
Still having mana trouble seal wisdom
Still having mana trouble then pull more. ( sound wrong but it works a treat)

Those point can be better spend further down the ret tree. Vindication is a massive reduction in boss damage atm, it is defiantly worth it.

Which brings me to glyphs. SoV glyph is awesome, Righteous defense glyph is good when you start out but loses value pretty quickly. The SA glyph how ever falls into the same boat as Benediction. Really is a wasted slot. Check out glyph of Judgement for extra threat or HoSalv for another cooldown. In the minor slots it is really worth taking Glyph of sense undead. 1% extra damage in a minor slot is pretty OP

Tank on.

kpxneophyte
09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Glyph of Divine Plea would be a better choice over the others, however. 3% damage reduction, while small, is still damage reduction.

Dabaws
09-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Hey Dabaws, welcome mate.

Blood Draining is a fine enchant and if fact is the only EH enchant that we can get. Personally i would take it over Blade Ward for sure.

On your spec/glyphs the points spent in the prot tree are solid, I wouldnít change anything there. In Ret though you really shouldnít need (or want) to take Benediction. It sounds good but it really isnít much help, our mana pools are so small that 10% extra isnít really significant. The basic man rule of Prot Paladin is,
Get Devine plea up before the pull
If you are having Mana trouble bless Sanc
Still having mana trouble seal wisdom
Still having mana trouble then pull more. ( sound wrong but it works a treat)

Those point can be better spend further down the ret tree. Vindication is a massive reduction in boss damage atm, it is defiantly worth it.

Which brings me to glyphs. SoV glyph is awesome, Righteous defense glyph is good when you start out but loses value pretty quickly. The SA glyph how ever falls into the same boat as Benediction. Really is a wasted slot. Check out glyph of Judgement for extra threat or HoSalv for another cooldown. In the minor slots it is really worth taking Glyph of sense undead. 1% extra damage in a minor slot is pretty OP

Tank on.

Thanks for the help mate.

Thing is, i run out of mana really fast especially when the healer is a Priest or a Shaman. I am not sure but i think that when the shield me i don't get that much mana back from BoS as i do usually.

Can anyone confirm that or am i just trippin?

Irat
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
You can both block and absorb (through a shield) the same attack. Which will proc BoSanc so i don't think if that is your problem. It is more likely that because of PW:S and the Shammy increasing your armor that you are taking less damage and thus need less heals. SA is still a major part of our mana regen even with only 1 point.

If it is easier content then pull more mobs. If that isnt possible then you may need to drop Conc from your rotation.

Dabaws
09-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Last night in heroics i noticed that in most cases the healers mana is almost full every fight. Lots of ppl have good gear now so they have alot of mana regen. I noticed also that i was taking very few heals (especially with shaman and priests) so i nicely asked them to heal me a bit when i'm low on mana so that i can get mana back, most responded good about it unlike 1 clever dude who told me that he can't heal my mana, when i tried explaining him about SA he ignored me xD.

Thanks for all the help Irat.

Dabaws
09-29-2009, 02:53 AM
1 more thing i need to now about the Glyph of Righteous Defense. If ur hit capped (which is 8% from what i know), do you still need that glyph?

Mert
09-29-2009, 03:20 AM
8% is the melee hit cap, yes. As for Righteous Defense and Hand of Reckoning, they have the base miss change of a spell, meaning that they require 17% Spell Hit in order to be guaranteed. So yes, in that sense, the Glyph is still needed if you want to guarantee a taunt.

Back in the day, Spell Hit and Melee Hit used to be entirely different things and there was a change that allowed Melee Hit to count toward the likelihood of taunts hitting, despite being spells but, crucially, the actual hit table of the spells themselves remained the same.

Having said all that, with two taunts available to you it's not often you'll need to guarantee you'll definitely taunt on your first cast, so I don't personally bother glyphing for it. Your mileage may vary, of course and as long as you have Glyph of Seal of Vengeance and Glyph of Divine Plea your remaining slot is largely a matter of personal preference.

Irat
09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Last night in heroics i noticed that in most cases the healers mana is almost full every fight.

Thanks for all the help Irat.

This is really the case for pulling more, if they arenít healing you imo you should give them a reason to. After the first couple of times that you pull two groups at once your will get used to it.

My pocket healer was giving me grief for always stopping before bosses so i pulled all three mobs and Maiden of Virtue at the same time. Good fun, some scary moments but thatís what makes the game interesting.

Gotta give healers a reason to heal or they will fall asleep.