PDA

View Full Version : DK Gem Question.

Parabella
09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
So i just started back up on my DK a few weeks ago after long months of her just waiting to be put back into service. So please forgive me on my lack of DK tanking state knowledge i apologize. I'm 2H Blood 52/8/11 Tank spec.

I got [Spiked Deathdealers] and as of now i only added a [Solid Majestic Zircon] into the Blue Socket and slaped on a [Enchant of Greater Fortitude]. What should i do with the yellow/last socket?

In case my armoy is not up-to-date here is my stats as of late with the missing socket.

540 Def, 24 Expertise(Rating 152+18), 25.08% Dodge, 18.42% Parry and 340(10.37%)Hit, 32431 HP (33891 in Frost Presence) unbuffed stats.

I figured an expertise gem/combo gem to hit 26 (cap?)

Please feel free to add any additional comments or information on anything you see fit. Thanks for your time and generosity ^_^

-Parabella

Parabella
09-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Anyone got any tips or pointers?

Strit
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, i'd take the expertise stamina to hit the expertise soft cap at 26. :) The nice 9 stamina socket bonus is well worth it for getting to that cap.

Parabella
09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, i'd take the expertise stamina to hit the expertise soft cap at 26. :) The nice 9 stamina socket bonus is well worth it for getting to that cap.

Problem is it doesn't match the socket color. If it did i think i wouldn't have any doubts and go right ahead and put a [Guardian's Dreadstone] in the socket. I just thought maybe a combo gem with 15 stam + the 9 stam would be a good idea to to come out in the end with 24 stam and a extra stat. Tho maybe just going with the expertise/sta is the better way to go and skip the +9 sta socket bonuns.

Gems i been looking at, but can't decide.

[Guardian's Dreadstone]
[Defender's Dreadstone]
[Regal Dreadstone]

[Champion's Ametrine]
[Glimmering Ametrine]
[Resolute Ametrine]
[Stalwart Ametrine]

[Enduring Eye of Zul]

ScaryGary
09-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I would go with the exp stam gem but whatever you decide dont put that parry one in there and I wouldn't gem str as a tank either.

Esch
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Resolute (exp/defense) is the best gem of those choices for those shoulders. While it will not put you at 26 expertise skill, 25 isn't something to sneeze at either. The extra defense is a bonus to your avoidance, and you get the stamina off the socket bonus.

Alternately, you could give up the Solid Zircon and socket the Guardian Dreadstone (exp/sta). While you do lose 15 stamina, you hit the cap. Finally, you have several red sockets in your gear already using Guardian Dreadstones. Again, sidegrading those for Precise Cardinal Rubies (30 expertise) may be worth the lost in stamina so you can focus elsewhere on gear. Keep in mind that your belt buckle socket is prismatic, so you can use that for anything.

I do think you need an expertise heavy gear upgrade, as you are generally 'low' yet are significantly over the hit cap.

ScaryGary
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't advocate an expertise only gem in place of stamina, especially since threat hasn't proven to be much of a problem in most fights. I also think that 15 stamina > 10 defense rating at your current HP and avoidance levels.

Edgewalker
09-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Get Clutch of Fortification when you can, and drop your shoulder enchant for 30 Stam / Resilience PvP enchant. Don't worry about expertise or matching socket bonuses... generally you will get a greater return out of raw stamina stacking. Once you are hit and defense capped, yellow sockets simply aren't viable options.

Mark of the Relentless is easily farmable and a better choice than Gatekeeper, and another stamina upgrade!

I always recommend Glyph of Runestrike over Glyph of Disease, and really think people don't fully appreciate the TPS differences between the glyphs.

Parabella
09-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Resolute (exp/defense) is the best gem of those choices for those shoulders. While it will not put you at 26 expertise skill, 25 isn't something to sneeze at either. The extra defense is a bonus to your avoidance, and you get the stamina off the socket bonus.

Shoulders give a +4 Def socket bonus. But i think the Exp/Sta in them currently is not a bad choice until an upgrade.

Alternately, you could give up the Solid Zircon and socket the Guardian Dreadstone (exp/sta). While you do lose 15 stamina, you hit the cap. Finally, you have several red sockets in your gear already using Guardian Dreadstones. Again, sidegrading those for Precise Cardinal Rubies (30 expertise) may be worth the lost in stamina so you can focus elsewhere on gear. Keep in mind that your belt buckle socket is prismatic, so you can use that for anything.

The reason i been using the 10 Exp/ 15 Sta gems to to get that 26 Exp cap i need. As for a pure Exp gem, I may think about that for my prismatic gem socket on my belt.

I do think you need an expertise heavy gear upgrade, as you are generally 'low' yet are significantly over the hit cap.

Yeah i could use something such as the Heroic ToC ring for a bit more expertise.

Parabella
09-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Get Clutch of Fortification when you can, and drop your shoulder enchant for 30 Stam / Resilience PvP enchant. Don't worry about expertise or matching socket bonuses... generally you will get a greater return out of raw stamina stacking. Once you are hit and defense capped, yellow sockets simply aren't viable options.

I don't have the badges on this toon as of yet for the [Clutch of Fortification] I was thinking about going for [Koltira's Pauldrons of Conquest] maybe i shouldn't? They do look badass. The pvp shoulder enchant is really the better enchant for a tank?

Mark of the Relentless is easily farmable and a better choice than Gatekeeper, and another stamina upgrade!

Yeah i been trying to get [Mark of the Relentless] maybe i'll get lucky here in a few when i run it. What gem would you recommend if i do happen to get it?

I always recommend Glyph of Runestrike over Glyph of Disease, and really think people don't fully appreciate the TPS differences between the glyphs.

I'll have to give that a try for sure.

Parabella
09-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Well i made up my mind and went with [Resolute Ametrine] (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40163)