PDA

View Full Version : Random Rogue Death

Qualadifier
09-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Recently tanking normal HoL and HoS I was running with a rogue and even though I am keeping good threat on all targets and the rogue is on my target DPSing he still seems to die about every fourth or so pull. Any ideas?
Rogue Armory- The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackwing+Lair&n=Timosvail) he is using the combat spec.
Tank spec- The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackwing+Lair&n=Tainkus) just in case this matters.

Phiro
09-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Is he dying to the whirlwinds that various npcs can do in those dungeons?

Qualadifier
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
He seems to die commonly between Volkhan and Loken with deaths on the Volkhan fight so it is a definate possibility. Our guild also had a rogue that died every other pull in Naxx 10 is this just a common rogue thing or does that mean our rogues are too squishy?

Vorla
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
The dorfs in the room leading up to Loken after the ... spark guy do whirlwind and appear in every other pull or so. He should probably l2p. :)

Phiro
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
There are a lot of NPCs that can cleave or whirlwind. To mitigate this there's a couple of options.

One is for the rogue to learn which NPCs are whirlwinders, and to pay attention (or get an addon) to when they are channeling it. This can be a challenge because different NPCs often have different names for what amounts to the same effect (e.g. Whirlwind, Charged Flurry, Bladestorm, what have you).

Healers should also be aware when there are packs with whirlwinders, and be ready to hit any squishy DPS with some heals. I've seen other melee besides just rogues get ground up by them.

Likewise, squishy DPS should be ready to disengage. In the case of a rogue, you can hit Feint and take 50% less damage from the whirlwind, buying you time to stay in or to run out of the fight until it clears. This works if there's one Whirlwinder in the pack, but doesn't generally save you if there are two going at once.

Some whirlwinds are also interruptable, so the rogue can just e.g. kick and knock the NPC out of it.

Some NPCs also simply cleave or toss poisons or other damage to random party members, and if people are unlucky, they can get clocked that way.

The other night, doing UP, Skadi one shotted my rogue before he even landed, just clobbered me while he was in the sky. Was funny :)

If I am asleep on many fights in HoL, HoS, Skadi, Naxx, etc, my rogue will get easily plastered. Also helps to have healers aware that more than the tank can take damage, even in heroics.

TL;DR: Rogue should watch whirlwinds, run away and/or use feint and/or kick to interrupt it. Healers should be aware of when there are NPCs that have attacks that hit more than the tank, and heal appropriately.

Qualadifier
09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Indeed he should thanks for the advice.