PDA

View Full Version : help.. do i look that bad??

deathda
09-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I mainly solo...
guess i need to start raids...

am i ready?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cenarion+Circle&n=Deathda)

TKS

Hades
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Point blank: No, you're not ready. Allow me to explain.

I figure you're trying to go DPS. As much as I hate to say it, dual wield needs to be a frost build for the new ToT talent, which makes both weapons hit for an Obliterate or other Frost/Unholy strike. Also, you're going to want slower weapons for the bigger damage they can cause due to those strikes. As it stands, your talents are a bit off even for a mainly blood build due to the lack of Heartstrike. I'll go ahead and whip up a couple of DW specs real fast you might enjoy for DPS.

Blood:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jfV0VhcIcbRfostG0cZfMhoz:GpqcMV)

Frost:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jfV0mZGMe0Abcof0fhzAof:poaMmV)

Now, you'll need to focus your gear around Strength, Hit, Expertise, and Armor Penetration (ArP for Blood mainly), and get into groups for regular TotC. The plate gear's gonna be your main focus, obviously.

Rotation:

IT, PS, Pest, BS, DS or OB, then dump with Dc or FS. Should be good for about 1500.. I know if you don't deviate from this with a 2hander and low gear level, 1500 works. I WON'T know about DW until after tomorrow, when I can get my account paid lol.

Rhyseh
09-13-2009, 09:33 PM
To fully answer your question I would need a little more info, however I assume you are talking about tanking. If that is the case then no, you are not ready to tank heroics or raids. The reason I say this is because you currently do not meet the defense minimums required to not be critically struck.

To force crit's off the table you need 535 defense for heroic 5 mans and 540 defense for Raid bosses. If you are looking for an easy guide to 540 defense here's a link to Ciderhelms guide.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/41986-cider-s-easy-540-defense-gear-guide.html

Jameak
09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I was a bit hesitant to respond to this post for those same reasons, looking at your gear it looks like your trying to DPS, and, it also looks like your a fresh 80, in which case yes you could probably get into a PuG raid and do woeful DPS, with the risk you will get kicked out for it (as seems to be the trend these days, made worse if you have no idea what to do in any of the fights). Whilst it isnt uncommon to have DPS frequent tankspot for advice, I think you need to be more clear in your original post with respect to your goals.

In either case, before your raid ready your going to have to work long and hard on your gear and this may involve you doing some research and building a hit list of what gear you need to get and where to get it.

deathda
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Point blank: No, you're not ready. Allow me to explain.

I figure you're trying to go DPS. As much as I hate to say it, dual wield needs to be a frost build for the new ToT talent, which makes both weapons hit for an Obliterate or other Frost/Unholy strike. Also, you're going to want slower weapons for the bigger damage they can cause due to those strikes. As it stands, your talents are a bit off even for a mainly blood build due to the lack of Heartstrike. I'll go ahead and whip up a couple of DW specs real fast you might enjoy for DPS.

Blood:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jfV0VhcIcbRfostG0cZfMhoz:GpqcMV)

Frost:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jfV0mZGMe0Abcof0fhzAof:poaMmV)

Now, you'll need to focus your gear around Strength, Hit, Expertise, and Armor Penetration (ArP for Blood mainly), and get into groups for regular TotC. The plate gear's gonna be your main focus, obviously.

Rotation:

IT, PS, Pest, BS, DS or OB, then dump with Dc or FS. Should be good for about 1500.. I know if you don't deviate from this with a 2hander and low gear level, 1500 works. I WON'T know about DW until after tomorrow, when I can get my account paid lol.

Ok When i started I was not doing enough damage for good PVE... Thats why I went blood... and raised my hit count so I never missed... With the built-in healing it worked well until I ran across elites then i did minor tweeks to survive most of those...
Now that I am end game I need run some instances to gather ~stuff~ and increase REP...
So I tried a few dungeons then Magisters' Terrace...
I died.. SO I am looking at how to survive...
I have now done a few call to arms in warsong gulch and found that in PVP I get wasted easily.
I seem to be spinning in a circle trying to hit a guy that is dancing everwhere getting in only a few hits while he cleans my clock...
i am working on building funds to acquire some better gear...
It seems hard or very exspensive to find gear that has both defense and hit rating on it!
the other thing is that looking at my stats show you what I have equipped right now.. not what I am able to equip from my bag..
because of my playstyle (stand there and ~thump~) I figgured my best bet would be to switch to tank rather than DPS...
Now that I see I need 540 defense rather than the 300 hit rating to keep from dying, then I can add hit rating to do more damage.
I up to the point where it is 10 gold to re-spec sO I am waiting for the 30 day cool-down so it doesn't cost so much.

deathda
09-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok When i started I was not doing enough damage for good PVE... Thats why I went blood... and raised my hit count so I never missed... With the built-in healing it worked well until I ran across elites then i did minor tweeks to survive most of those...
Now that I am end game I need run some instances to gather ~stuff~ and increase REP...
So I tried a few dungeons then Magisters' Terrace...
I died.. SO I am looking at how to survive...
I have now done a few call to arms in warsong gulch and found that in PVP I get wasted easily.
I seem to be spinning in a circle trying to hit a guy that is dancing everwhere getting in only a few hits while he cleans my clock...
i am working on building funds to acquire some better gear...
It seems hard or very exspensive to find gear that has both defense and hit rating on it!
the other thing is that looking at my stats show you what I have equipped right now.. not what I am able to equip from my bag..
because of my playstyle (stand there and ~thump~) I figgured my best bet would be to switch to tank rather than DPS...
Now that I see I need 540 defense rather than the 300 hit rating to keep from dying, then I can add hit rating to do more damage.
I up to the point where it is 10 gold to re-spec so I am waiting for the 30 day cool-down so it doesn't cost so much.

As for gear most of what i want or need comes from a raid or AH..
and AH gets exspensive QUICK!!

Insahnity
09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I still don't feel you have your role defined properly.
If you want to contribute to the raid to by
-Holding the mob's attention while everybody else pounds it to death, you want to be a tank. Survivability is your main concern, damage is not. Based on your gear, you aren't ready for that.
-If you want to kill things in a raid but are dying, either your tank is not holding threat, or more likely, you have not developed awareness for your surroundings, and are getting yourself killed (think in real life... if you are in a burning building do you get the heck out or do you continue working? You might be doing the latter).

If you are talking about battlegrounds, that is a whole other role. In that scenario you want to kill stuff and be hard to kill, but that strategy is really bad in raids, you accomplish neither in a raid. In battle grounds, you stack resilience, not defense (and in raids you never stack resilence).

Before going any further, clarify to us in a post what your intentions are, we can then direct you accordingly.

deathda
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I would LOVE to be able to solo an level 80 instance.
i seem to work better in a solo enviorment.
PVP is NOT for me.. (at least not yet)
warsong gulch and other battlegrounds are more for rep and as a learning exsperiance.
Most instances seem to require a raid group.. so i need to learn what and how to do... My slow style suggests tanking... thats why i mention it.
And yep tried running out of that burning building, but usually just keep getting slammed in the back to the point of death.
walking backwards and swinging seems like the slowest death.. escape is rairly an option.
solo'ing instances and dungeons seems my best way to learn and make a few bucks.... kinda prefer it...
but would I find that good of equipment in any of them?
(YES I know I need to visit the armory more)
So to solo a level instance or gungeon i assume i need 540 defense and 275 hit rating and everything else ~extra~ (crit, ect)
is that about right?

deathda
09-14-2009, 12:04 PM
thinking bout adding signet of accord

36 strength
73 stamina
expertise = 29
defense rating = 31
parry = 35

and dropping
lost vrykul signet
18 stamina
hit rating 30
ap 36

that should get my defense about 500
but my hit rating will take a loss

deathda
09-14-2009, 12:05 PM
and how important is expertise??

joep180
09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Frankly, you are not making any sense.
1. It is impossbile to solo a lvl 80 instance period, no matter how good you are, so you have to get that out of your head.

To have people be able to help you out, you have to define what kind of help you are looking for.

Are you asking how to gear/what to stack to be a tank?
Are you asking how to gear/what to stack to be a dps?
Are you asking for help on battlegrounds?

You are going all over the place, from bg's to raids to soloing, you have to define what your looking for to be able to find it.

Insahnity
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
I would LOVE to be able to solo an level 80 instance.
i seem to work better in a solo enviorment.

Even a top geared tank would be hard pressed to do this, and you are nowhere near this. People solo 70 instances at best. This is a multiplayer game, teamwork is required to get ahead, once you have done all that you can soloing.

PVP is NOT for me.. (at least not yet)
warsong gulch and other battlegrounds are more for rep and as a learning exsperiance.
Most instances seem to require a raid group.. so i need to learn what and how to do... My slow style suggests tanking... thats why i mention it.
And yep tried running out of that burning building, but usually just keep getting slammed in the back to the point of death.
walking backwards and swinging seems like the slowest death.. escape is rairly an option.

Tanking is not for the slow, just the opposite. A tank is probably one of the fastest reacting person, they must protect anywhere from 4 to 24 people from harm, that takes a lot of quick work. However, some people like it, myself included.

DPSing can be easier, as it can be compensated by others (whereas bad tanks tend to fold quickly). To be really good DPS sometimes requires a immense skill, and it is something that needs to be learned.

Realize that working in a heroic/10 man/25 man means working as a team. If you have everybody soloing you will fail. A tank's job is to ensure mobs are not hitting DPS. Conversely, it is the job of DPS to learn NOT to pull mobs off the tank, or you will end up with an angry mob that will eat you alive, which is exactly what is happening. Only geared and talented tanks working as a team with a healer can survive a raid mob, relying on DPS to burn them down. To explain how not to pull mobs off the tank is a bigger discussion.

solo'ing instances and dungeons seems my best way to learn and make a few bucks.... kinda prefer it...
but would I find that good of equipment in any of them?
(YES I know I need to visit the armory more)
So to solo a level instance or gungeon i assume i need 540 defense and 275 hit rating and everything else ~extra~ (crit, ect)
is that about right?

Assuming you lose this mindset that you will solo instances, pick a role, DPS or tank (I suggest DPS). Once you have picked that role, gear accordingly (Get to 540 defense if a tank, avoid all defense if a DPS).

If you want to earn cash, questing is a really fast way to do so.

If you want gear, run heroics. With enough heroics, you will pick up good gear or be able to afford gear by accumulating emblems of conquest.

For all roles, aim for 264 hit rating and 26 expertise SKILL.
Beyond this, tanks stack defense and stamina
DPS stacks strength, crit, and in some cases armor penetration or haste

Hades
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Oh man.. for sure, you need to get your goal straightened out before I can offer you too much more advice because it seems you're trying to fill every role but healer and that doesn't work at all. I'm a tolerably geared tank, and the thought of soloing heroics makes me snicker, chuckle, and otherwise laugh. I actually tried once anyway. The second pull into H UK, I was done.

If you're gonna look into a DPS role, Honor points and Stonekeeper shards can get you some gear that'll up your damage immensely, and get you a spot in a heroic, maybe even a raid. I recommend grabbing the Savage Saronite set just to start out if you go this route.

If you're looking to tank, Wyrmrest rep is win. Pick up the Daunting Hands/legs from the AH and start picking up rep. Until you hit 540 defense (I never include the bottom goal, just to avoid confusion.) don't even offer to tank. But lets be clear. The tank isn't just some dumb brute going "GRAAAWGH I R GET BEAT ON!" The tank is always making situational adjustments, positioning mobs, remembering fights (hopefully lol) and doing everything they can, sometimes many small adjustments in the blink of an eye, plus attacking, so that with the healer's help, nobody else is going to take damage. Not even DPS gets to roll their face across the keyboard for the best results anymore... unless it's a pally. HA! But seriously, you figure out what role works best for you, and we'll do what we do, and get you prepared for it. Best of luck.

Jameak
09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Not even DPS gets to roll their face across the keyboard for the best results anymore... unless it's a pally.

Aww that cut me deep man :(

I managed to solo normal AN as prot, its brutal. Never again. So not worth the effort.

deathda
09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
You are answering just what I wish...
can I solo a level 80 instance --- NO WAY.. (but I was hoping)
how about a level 70 instance ---- Possible but very difficult.
looks like I would do best at DPS with off-tanking as needed.
At least untill i get better gear.
But I need to tone down my aggro or i will pull the MOB off the tank. correct?
VERY new at level 80 -- yes..

Also would like to know..
Is it a bad thing to die in a battlezone? I see emblems picked up from the dead opponets but do I lose anything when I die?
(I.E. should I fight to the death or try to run like hell!)

And the magic numbers I seek are 540 defense and 275 hit rating ...
but I am a bit confused.. I should not have both? (hit rating for DPS, defense for TANKING) Plan on trying a raid later this week.. wish me luck..

joep180
09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
540 defense and 275 hit rating- both required for tanking.
Defense- don't get hurt
Hit Rating- hurt mobs and get threat

Also, pick either DPS or Tanking and get good at one before going to the next. You have to work at something to get good at it. You can't DPS forever and one day just say I'm going to go tank Naxx 10, there are different rotations, mechanics, gear sets, and all sorts of other things that come into account when you tank.

I know this isn't very specific but I'm short on time and I figured I would throw something up there.

deathda
09-22-2009, 03:27 AM
first and formost i wish to thank ALL of you for your input!
and boy do i have a lot of work to do..
as a newbie 80 I have learned a lot in a short time!
and got myself caught stuck somewhere between HIT and DEFENSE.
OK.. re-evaluate.
1st.
get hit rating up to 275 and keep defense as high as possible and go DPS.
2nd.
RE-SPEC for DPS till i get better gear.
i think I will try the blood as hades suggested.
3rd.
re-evaluate weapon thats the hard part..
i like look and ~feel~ of my blades..

kemikalkadet
09-22-2009, 08:48 AM
get hit rating up to 275 and keep defense as high as possible and go DPS.

As DPS you don't want anything with defense on it at all, that's tank gear. Avoid anything with defense, dodge, parry, block. The stats you should look for are strength, crit, hit, attack power and expertise.