PDA

View Full Version : Warrior with low avoidance- drop some hp?

mentalescape
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
My first time as a registered member here on tankspot.
Recently, I've noticed that my avoidance seems quite low compared to a lot of other tanks with roughly similar gear level.
Here is a link to my armory.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Aiell)

I'm also overcapped for defence. So what should I do with my gear? Do I need to gem differently; change my enchants perhaps? I think my only major problem is that no one seems to accept a tank with less than ~30k health to heroics anymore.
I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Darthknight
09-12-2009, 06:01 AM
If you are overcapped on defence try and loose the defence trinket, by running many heroics you will be able to build up emblems for the t8.5 head piece and Wyrmguard Legplates (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45842), the legs provide shield block so that will be nice to boost that stat for you, to replace the trinket try and getting Lavanthor's Talisman (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37872) from VH which provides shield block i think this will boost it by around 3% your parry and dodge seem ok just try and get all 3 to 20%, also Kyzoc's Ground Stompers (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40743) are quite nice, or if you have alot of emblems to get runed orbs and have a miner that will help with titansteel get Spiked Deathdealers (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45560) which are very nice and will last a long time even though the mats may seem a pain at first.

hope this helps

mentalescape
09-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. With regards to replacing repelling charge (trinket), would it be worth buying the emblem of heroism dodge trinket instead of Lavanthor's.

I suppose I'll get to work on some emblem farming.

Deathsupply
09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd switch your hit/stam gems in both your helm (when you get T8.5)and your chest to +8 defense/stam. Currently, to drop your tirnket, you need another 15 defense rating, so that'll keep you capped while being able to pick up another good trinket. Recomend picking up BOTH Essenec of Gosamer and Valor Medal from Badges, both are great additions to any tank set, depending on what you need at the time. Go into a PuG, and throw that 1.2k health trink on, and you'll get PuG's attention real quick :P Your already over the hit cap of 264, so having more than that does very little for you.

Also, you can easily pick up the T7.5 Gloves from the easily PuGable 25M OS to get a minor upgrade on your hands, or get them by badges. I see that your in the process of gemming out with Epic 30 Stam gems as well, don't skip out on the gems in your gear, unless you'll replace em soon :P they cost a pretty penny, but every little bit makes a big difference when all tossed in together.

Another note as well, I assume your doing your Heroic daily every day for the awsome Triumph badges. I would recomend that you either pick up the Shoulders or the Ring first. The ring is such an amazing piece that you probably won' repace it for a long time, and the shoulders are amazing as well. The expertise from them will help you get your expertise up to the softcap, which is 26 (6.75%) They both cost only 30 Badges, but both are super 1337 WIN!

Darthknight
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
just try focus on getting the items i said and for trinkets i would recommend the shield block one for the defence one and any other stam trinket, if you have JC get the monarch crab since that has stam and a dodge boost when you need it :) i cant see your gear atm because armoury seems to be down, hope this helped too, thats if you dont already have what i just said :P

Insahnity
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I disagree with some of the posts, you should avoid anything with shield block like the plague, there are much better alternatives (I find emblem legplates exceptionally bad for this). About the only exception to this is the t8.5 helm if you are desperate, but even I am using your helm over t8.5. If I were you, my next emblem purchase would be necklace using conqueror emblems.

For calculating defense cap, it sometimes helps to think in terms of defense rating (how much defense you get from gear) rather than defense skill, because defense rating <> defense skill and adding/removing defense doesn't give you a feel for how far away you are from 540 (the conversion is 4.92 rating per skill, FYI).

In your current armory with repelling charge, you have 762 rating. Your target is 689. if you remove repelling charge (84 rating), you will be at 678 rating, 11 rating short of defense cap. Targetting your hit/stam gem, an epic 10 defense/15 stam gem is just 1 freaking defense rating point away, which sucks, so you may have to go with a pure defense gem. If you can do the conqueror emblem necklace with 10 def/15 stam gem, thats the better way and about as fast.

Thedom
09-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Also the tanking legs from ToC are probably a good option because they would add a good chunk of expertise which is never bad. Also agree with insahnity the conquest legs with shield block are pretty rubbish for a general tanking set unless the legs you have are particularly poor. The heroism dodge trinket would also be a better upgrade than lavanthors. The block set items are good for regular instances and trash but if you are going to raid then the dodge would be a much bigger advantage for you.

(If you are just running heroics without intending to raid excuse the avoidance part because as hard as heroic bosses hit block is acceptable)