PDA

View Full Version : A bit of help for gear (Prot mostly, but some holy)

Juu
09-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone, I'll start off by giving 2 links to my gear and talent sets:
WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Boulderfist&name=Juulna)
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Boulderfist&n=Juulna)

I believe WoW Armoury only shows my holy set at the moment, but WoW Heroes is a fine substitute to get an idea about my gear in both sets.

My question: What upgrades should I get right now?
From what I've seen, the only big upgrades (one's I won't replace in a week) are in Ulduar or Trial. I don't belong to a raiding guild but am not willing to leave them. I have friends who raid that I can join, but I don't like to be carried through raids. My healing set, I've been told, is adequate to do certain parts of Ulduar, so perhaps I should run as holy and get upgrades for both my holy and protection set?

I enchant all of my own gear. It is extremely expensive, but I need to enchant everything, otherwise I would not have enough defense or stamina to survive properly.

I pride myself on what I can do so far, as I've done it all without help and advice, but I'd love to get better! And for that, I think, it's time to ask for help. xD

Any and all comments are appreciated, little and/or small!

Thaaaaanks. :)

dagimp007
09-11-2009, 10:18 AM
just by looking... farm heroics for badges....

get the T8.5 Head, and chest

then do the daily heroic, and get a peice of t9.

after you get your chest and head from conquest turn those into valor badges and get the ring and back.

Hit 5 man ToC ever day for the trinket to replace essence
hit 5 man H Toc every day for the weapon and everything else that drops

in 5 man H ToC all the gear is = Ulduar 10 man gear (atleast in ilvl)

if you have the money get the Ulduar Belt and boots made

Myrddraak
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I would definatley run some more heroics to get the conquers gear from the vendor. But also look at the gear from the valor vendor and the hero vendor. Might have some upgrades there. But a huge one right off the bat is get mariels sorrow from h toc.

Martie
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
My healing set, I've been told, is adequate to do certain parts of Ulduar, so perhaps I should run as holy and get upgrades for both my holy and protection set?

Ulduar normal modes, especially 10man, are a lot more about skill then they are about gear.
(10man has been cleared by a group in blues.)
So, as a healer you shouldn't worry too much about being carried - paladins have a lot of overhealing anyway, and you should be okay if you make sure to know the ins and outs of every fight.
(And this site has wonderfull movies for that.)

Once you are in Ulduar, you'll probably find that it's easy to pick up both holy and protection gear there - the drops for both are kinda numerous, and the people who need it are kinda few.

Of course, the advice people give here is good - there's nice badge gear out there, and definatly don't underestimate the older badge gear.

Juu
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Oh, this is all great advice. It'll take some heroic grinding. I'm not on too often lately, and get frustrated with heroics, but hopefully something goes okay. That's the problem with having even a non-heroics guild. Sigh!

Now, a follow-up question:

What raids do I seem able to do with my gear?

Insahnity
09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
As much as some people despise it, wow-heroes gives a nice graph showing what raids you can tackle.

Juu
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Okay, fantastic! I actually love wow-heroes. ^^

Thank you; I'm going to try ulduar tonight. Think it'll be easy with 28.7k base? With buffs and food I can usually hit 35k.

If not, I'll heal it haha.

I can't even be carried as a dps cause I have no dps gear to speak of.

Foolosophy
09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Since I can't see your gear set at the moment, I'll comment on your talents instead. If I look at your build, I have a few things that I would change in your protection spec:

Get rid of:
- Divinity; It's not worth it, since you get overhealed 4 out of 5 times already. There are better talents to take.
- Stoicism; it is a, mostly, pvp talent. It doesn't help you (much).
- Reckoning; there are better threat talents out there, that you haven't got at the moment (yet).
- Hammer of justice; mostly it won't work against bosses and there are better talents out there to take.
- Spiritual attunement; you only need 1 point in it. Buff Sanctuary on yourself and use Divine Plea. If you get oom, pull more trash or pick a harder boss (:
- (OPTIONAL) Imp. Judgements; you only need 1 point in it. As you seem to be a little bit of a beginner (?), 1 point will help you a lot with your 969 rotation.

Really get points in:
- Touched by the Light (prot tree); major threat. We still use some spellpower ;)
- Vindication (ret tree); you can rely on other raid members to debuff boss AP, but it's better to do it your own. Remember: boss AP scales differently then player AP.

Doing this, you'll get more threat per second and you will live a bit longer. An alternative is to get 5 points in Seals of the Pure, but in Naxx and the new raid, Crusade is worth more threat. Plus, we will pick up some running speed (faster towards mobs / out of nasty stuff), AP debuff for the boss and some threat.

Spec I would use:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxsRobc:pG0zcm)

- faster running speed.
- more threat
- more survivability (AP debuff from Vindication & better Sacred Shield)
- more raid utility (Divine Sacrifice + bubble)

Glyphs:
- Divine plea; best defensive glyph
- Seal of Vengeance; 10 expertise SKILL. That's a lot of threat and a nice bit of damage reduction (less parry haste)
- Of Judgement - more threat

Or you could take the Glyph of Salvation, but without hard modes, you don't really really really need a 3th cooldown.

Happy tanking!

hiya btw to all (:

Juu
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Oooh nice amount of info there. That sounds like something I will respec after I finish running.

I do oom a lot so hmmmm I don't know about that one point. I'll see!

My gear is listed on wow-heroes.com if you would like to take a look there. It's not a bad site. I have the link at the top.

Yay glyphs! I couldn't figure out which to get.

Thanks very much ^^

Foolosophy
09-12-2009, 04:17 AM
In which fights do you OOM a lot?

Read those two:
View topic - 3.2 Frequently *Answered* Questions - Tankadin basics - Maintankadin (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21932)
View topic - 3.2 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ. - Maintankadin (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21933)

:)

Juu
09-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Let's see.... I'm ooming in first fight of HToC, all other encounters in heroics. I haven't done raids as a tank in a while, but from what I remember, I did oom on encounters such as Gluth, Thaddius, some of the spiders. Not the guy with the 3 humanoid ads and enrage, I was just holding ads and that was easy.

I changed around my spec a bit to suit what you've suggested, but keeping a bit of what I like. Bye Bye PvP though :( Lots of fun as prot, actually!

Hmmm I'll take a look at the links.

Ran Naxx25 last night as holy, that went really well. ^^ No tank items though, MS needed it unfortunately.