PDA

View Full Version : How to manage member rotation w/ raids...and then some,

Stirsticks
09-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Hello TankSpot!

Alright so here are several of my problems/issues/concerns. Myself as well as a large group of real life friends have gotten to the stage where were wore out. We're tired of the big shot guilds, and we're better than the small ones that don't move very far content wise. So we've formed <Arrogant>

We currently have 51 Level 80's in guild and on average have between 10-25 online which is a great thing to see. Raids are always put up on calendar along with times, etc. Our guild message is updated usually as content is downed for the week or there are important things that need to be noted to guild.

We've pretty well filled out diversity in class roll tank/heal/dps.

And I think we're taking the proper action with the guild and things seem to be running full speed ahead.

However, what do you do when it comes down to rotating players into raids.

Lets face it you don't want someone that isn't pulling there pull potential in a raid that really calls for your best. Also, I realize that may be interpreted that I am calling players bad. I am not. With any roll it is a sensitive subject to approach when you know that someone could improve or has the gear but a rotation is off, or maybe there is an add-on to help them out with somethings, etc, etc.

For example: We have this one Holy Paladin that has a great looking gear score for what he's in and has a mana pull of 22k self buffed, not too shabby for ToTc/Uld content that we are in. However on XT Hard Mode he was pulling 900 healing. Now we've seen him heal much better, but that wasn't cutting it. Maybe it was an off night, I'm not sure and I haven't asked so that is something I will look into, none the less..,

We had dps whispers about him not healing enough, etc. Now, I myself don't have any healer class, so I am not going to speak up and tell them how to heal. I do care though, as one of the founding members and an officer, I really want to help him improve!

I am NOT going to say: " You're not healing good enough and you're bad we can't take you in raids "

I feel as if I've gone off subject? But, if you here on the forums could toss some info my way, some personal experiences similar to my situation please enlighten me =]

We want what's best for the guild as whole, but we do care about our members are individuals too, we are not here to bully anyone, but to be a great guild as we have already shown to be.

And yes like I had stated before, is there an easy simple way to manage rotating players into raids, is it as simple as taking a spiral notebook and keeping tabs?

So yes, any info concerning what I typed as well as anything helpful on the subject would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Gretchin
09-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Get one of your healers to be a healer assigner, either pick one with high attendance that will nearly always be around to set assigns or let the raid leader set one each raid to do this job.

A healer assigner can then put the healers to a job and be in charge of editing the setup and evaluating the job done.

TiptoesDMF
09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
A healer assigner can then put the healers to a job and be in charge of editing the setup and evaluating the job done.

Pretty much this one. And make sure your healer lead actually knows what they are doing, there is nothing worse than assigning Holy Priest on tank at the same time as assigning Disc Priest on raid.

As well, this might help you with the meter problem...
[/URL][URL="http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/06/19/what-can-healing-meters-tell-you/"]World of Matticus - What can healing meters tell you? (http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/06/19/what-can-healing-meters-tell-you/)

heidar
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I feel like you have two separate problems.

First off, rotating members. What I used to do (this was in TBC) was to always take the best people for progression raids, that just makes sense to me.

For farm raids, it gets a bit more complicated. I had one class manager for every class. Class managers asked every member submit a gear list on the forum for every boss they needed loot from and members had to keep it up to date as they got the items they needed. Then the class managers added and removed people from raids at every boss to make sure that people who needed loot were in on the bosses they needed loot from. It worked great for us and was next to no hassle. It also eliminates "I never get to raid" drama. It also gives you a clear image on when you can stop having scheduled raids for an instance.

About your problem with your paladin, like suggested above, this could be remedied by having a healer assigner who watches over the healers, or well, a class manager who watches over the paladins... I have more than once had a similar experience though, a good player was in a farm raid and didn't perform very well but normally was pretty good. Turned out it was a friend or a family member playing for him because he was busy but needed loot/attendance. Or he could just be slacking, a very common problem, esp. in farm raids. :p

Hope this helps a bit, take what I say with a grain of salt as I haven't done any guild leading in WLK!

orcstar
09-15-2009, 02:32 AM
The first things what I should do in such a stuation is a quick whisper.
Hey, somethnig ging on today?

Most of the time people will come up with why they lacked focus on a particular night or so.

Starting with a gentle pat works better then immediately start slapping someone around with meters.

heidar
09-15-2009, 05:34 AM
The first things what I should do in such a stuation is a quick whisper.
Hey, somethnig ging on today?

Most of the time people will come up with why they lacked focus on a particular night or so.

Starting with a gentle pat works better then immediately start slapping someone around with meters.

Have to agree with this, good advice!

Taylana
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I noticed that you said "We had dps whispers about him not healing enough, etc" If you have a pally not tank healing but doing raid that is part of the issue. For most healing classes there is an area where certain classes shine. Pally healing shines in MT, OT healing. If you have a pally healing raids they are going to have a MUCH harder time healing it. It is like taking a rogue and telling them to spam Fan of Knives on a boss fight with no aoe adds. It is not the best use of that class. In my opinion, yes you need to have a healing officer. Pick the one who seems to know all the healing classes and their mechanics. I have chosen among my own officers a healing officer who has played all of the healing classes and therefore know that he can decide what is best for each fight. ;) Hope this helps you!