PDA

View Full Version : Raid tank advise

ghengas
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I've primarily run 5 man content up till now farming emblems and ran TOC for most of my gear. I'm now starting to run some 10man raids and have been promoted to main tank for all our ULD/10 raids. I'm looking for some help.

I'm looking for any constructive criticism on my gems, glyphs, spec, etc... Any advise is appreciated.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Grizzly+Hills&n=Ghengas)

Strit
09-10-2009, 01:38 PM
As I can see you should be fine for 10m content.
PS: What is that armor enchant on your gloves called? 885 armor is a lot! :)

ghengas
09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Its an engineering enchant:

Reticulated Armor Webbing

Strit
09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Ah, nice one. Engineering bringing something other than headgear and guns to the table. :)

Eravian
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Gearwise you're in pretty good shape from having only done 5-mans. The only small changes I might make are swap in Glyph of Command instead of Glyph of Battle, which will give you a 4-minute Commanding Shout instead of a 4-minute Battle Shout (much more useful in my opinion, especially since Blessing of Might doesn't stack with Battle Shout, and dps warriors will usually have a better Battle Shout anyway), and perhaps try to get a little higher Block Rating, especially since you have some pieces that add to your Block value. Sure Shield Block gives 100% for ten seconds, but on a 40-second CD that means you're still going to have time where you have a greater chance of eating a full blown hit. Can't really gem for better block rating, though, so short of switching out pieces, there's not much you can do. Looks like you should be in fine shape for 10-man Uld, though, and you have a very good health pool considering you haven't done a lot of 10-man raiding.

Good luck!

Horace
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
As others have said, you will be fine in ulduar 10. A couple things you might consider as you continue to gear up your toon:
1. You are over the hit cap. You could take some pieces with less hit in favor of other stats.
2. Your gear has very little block rating or value which is fine but you are glyphed for more aoe tanking. If you have a BV set for heroics and are just not in it and don't want to change your glyphs, so be it but for ulduar boss tanking you will not find yourself cleaving or getting hit often and lightly enough to make those glyphs the best choice. In my opinion, revenge, vigilance, last stand, heroic strike and devestate would all be better.

Insahnity
09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Gearwise you're in pretty good shape from having only done 5-mans. The only small changes I might make are swap in Glyph of Command instead of Glyph of Battle, which will give you a 4-minute Commanding Shout instead of a 4-minute Battle Shout (much more useful in my opinion, especially since Blessing of Might doesn't stack with Battle Shout, and dps warriors will usually have a better Battle Shout anyway), and perhaps try to get a little higher Block Rating, especially since you have some pieces that add to your Block value. Sure Shield Block gives 100% for ten seconds, but on a 40-second CD that means you're still going to have time where you have a greater chance of eating a full blown hit. Can't really gem for better block rating, though, so short of switching out pieces, there's not much you can do. Looks like you should be in fine shape for 10-man Uld, though, and you have a very good health pool considering you haven't done a lot of 10-man raiding.

Good luck!

Ulduar is NOT for trash. Avoid Block like the plague, that is for heroics where there is easy trash to block. I am avoiding the T8.5 helm because of its block.

When considering upgrades, value expertise over hit, you are over the hit cap of 264, but under the expertise cap (although with your current gear you can't do much about it, other than gem for expertise which you have tried). I see you are trying to hit socket bonuses, which I do as well, but gemming for crit is not the best approach. I'd drop a def/stam in place of crit/stam, and put a flat 30 stam in the chest socket instead of defense/stam, losing the 6 defense socket bonus. The 6 defense loss is more than compensated by the extra 15 stamina. Generally, if you need to make hard choices, keep stamina socket bonuses, and if it's not stamina then ask yourself if you really need that bonus or do you get more benefit to breaking the bonus in favour of a better gem.

You are pretty good shape for Ulduar gearwise, it will now come down to good teamwork and knowing the fights.

As for glyphs, Eravian is right, the command minor glyph is much more valuable. As a side note, if you need to respec to 5/15/51 for more survival, note the following behaviour to Commanding shout (or battle if DPS)

Glyph -adds 2 minutes
Talent - increases 50% duration

Unglyphed, Untalented - 2 minutes
Unglyphed, Talented - 3 minutes
Glyphed, Untalented - 4 minutes
Glyphed, Talented - 6 minutes !

Talents come after glyphs, a huge bonus.

If you need more single target threat, Switch out Cleave Glyph for HS Glyph, for rage issues use Revenge Glyph. Once you have gone through it a few times, you should be able to correctly adjust, based on your gear decisions.