PDA

View Full Version : Why am i getting butchered:

Trork
09-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Hi, I have been here in the forums latelly reading alot and also asking stuff and getting good answers, now I have a new question:

Why am I getting owned by mobs/bosses?

to start, i will post my tank suit (armory got my dps atm):
WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Shadowmoon&name=Trork)

and stats:
http://i25.tinypic.com/jl30p0.png
keep in mind that with frost presence my armor goes to around 24-25k.

Now, what happens is that many healers are complaining that I am getting really alot of damage, they even ask me if i am defense caped....

I ran timed CoS, helping a friend get rid of jazon flying mount, we had around 3-4 mins to run the corridor full of mobs so i pulled one after the other... and i saw i almost died a few times. I also did yesterday a naxx10 where the DPS did not listen on vent and killed the 4 adds in Faerlina, she got enraged the whole fight of course, and my health was going down like crazy (but that should be normal when she is enraged and dps arent listening).

Annother good example is in UP H, I have been going there alot to get the 1h tanking sword to a friend, and he is very much undergeared compaired to me. When i tank it i need to get alot of heals, when he tanks it, the healer( usually a shaman ) doesnt even heal him and go casting lightning bolts on him.... whats up with that? lol.... did frost presence get THAT nerfed?

squats
09-09-2009, 06:16 AM
do you have any WWS reports?

Trork
09-09-2009, 06:19 AM
no, but will start making them and post here as soon as i have something (at work atm)

squats
09-09-2009, 06:25 AM
no, but will start making them and post here as soon as i have something (at work atm)

yeah, id like to see just how hard your getting hit. your dodge and parry isnt bad for a DK. your armor is a bit low, but then, armory doesnt show what it is with frost presence. Generally DK's do get hit hard, i hate healing them. Rolling CD's on a regular basis when they are on CD helps a lot. the only real time you have to worry about saving them is when you know something big is going to come up, like fusion punch.

Dragaan
09-09-2009, 06:59 AM
If your friend is a warrior or paladin, then it's understandable. Heroics and trash hit for much, much less if you have the ability to block (and if he's a warrior, he's also able to stun mobs like crazy). I usually block or avoid ~80%+ of all melee attacks in heroics. That combined with my stuns makes healing me trivial.

Esch
09-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I suggest replacing the IT or RS glyphs with Glyph of Howling Blast, thus getting Frost Fever on mobs 'faster' and more reliably. AoE pulls are a challenge to all DKs since we either avoid or get hit. By slowing those attacks, we easy up the rate of damage intact.

You can also pick up Chillbains, which slows mobs. On AoE pulls, this means mobs 'later' in the group take a little longer to reach you, thus they don't even deal damage at the start of a pull. With focused DPS, this means you are killing early targets, possibly before the mobs in the 'back' arrive. Again, less hits being delivered over the same window of time.

Finally, look at Hungering Cold. One button, 40 RP (unglyphed), 'stun'. Frozen mob dps = zero. It's tough to use 'well', but I have to admit... HC can be very impressive. At 'worse', you infect a bunch of mobs with Frost Fever, which again, means their melee swings are slowed.

Kurtosis
09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
3-4m for H CoS guantlet is not enough to get through comfortably, you'll be taking alot of dmg chain pulling at the rate required to get through in that time. And Faerlina's enrage lets her hit tanks for 15k-20k dmg, so probably not the best judge of your mitigation/avoidance.

Regarding how DK's compare to other tanks, here's a comment on the wow tank forums (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=19717692375&sid=1) about the issue. This mainly concerns current end game tanking, but worth being aware of at least. In a nutshell, some hardmode pally tanks are calling for DK's to be partially un-nerfed.

Gearfighter
09-10-2009, 05:16 AM
mate all i can say is i dont know why u should be getting hit hard, ur armor is a little on the low side and ur avoidence is around 45% which is pretty good. if you would like to, please have a look at my spec and glyphs i am a very, very good tank, not raid wise but i mean boss fights/trash pull fights, i always ask my group how i do and its always positive, with my glyphs and specs i usually run into the mobs and drop DnD, pop a blood boil, if i get a rune strike, use that then use a Howling Blast yo infect frost fever on them, then its a simple rotation of runestrike, blood boil and howling blast when i get killing spree for AoE crit damage. any other suggestions u may need, feel free to message me on-site

Darthknight
09-12-2009, 08:35 AM
your not defence capped, cap is 540 your on 531, looking at your current gear that is, on your stats that you posted you are

ivypapa
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes - Frost presence got nerfed that bad. DKs as a whole got nerfed way to hard - I have all but given mine up.

Hades
09-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Indeed, according to wow-heroes, you're gonna get banged on pretty hard due to that 9 point difference between your skill and a raid-ready 540. Your gear's just fine. Everything looked great until I saw the rune you're using. Switch it back to SSG, and you'll do wonderful. I'm usually my guild's most reliable tank as a frost DK, and while the nerf bat to the knees almost made us worthless for everything but trash, when everything's clickin right, my guild's nearly unstoppable in 10mans even with a DK MT. Long story short, fix your rune and you'll be back in good shape, to my knowledge.

Jameak
09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Keep in mind guys DK's dont need 540 to be crit-immune, as long as the crit reduction is 5.6%. I'm not sure where they pick it up but they get crit-immune much earlier than us other tanks.

motoucle
09-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Keep in mind guys DK's dont need 540 to be crit-immune, as long as the crit reduction is 5.6%. I'm not sure where they pick it up but they get crit-immune much earlier than us other tanks.

Im sorry but it s very wrong, we still need 540 like the rest of plate tanks. What you may be confusing though is the fact that through runeforging we can get 15 defence (may be wrong on the number :) ) and that indeed makes it a little easyer

Jameak
09-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes your right. What I mean't is (which is now totally unrelated and meaningless) is normal plate tanks need 689 defense rating, DK's reach 540 defense skill with a lot less defense rating. Think I got confused :P

Trork
09-30-2009, 06:51 AM
do you have any WWS reports?
after a long time, i Have now finally made a report, not WWS - heard it is not so accurate anymore, but here is my report (my new guild is going ulduar 10 atm slowly progressing) i was tanking and here is the report:

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sJwwIlUTQyt6juG4/)