PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a rusty tank

Kerith
09-09-2009, 05:34 AM
I use to tank 5 & 10 mans for a small guild at the start of WotLK and did fairly well I do say. Although towards the end of my tanking experience as everyone began gear up, especially heavy AoE classes, they started pulling aggro more and more.

Back then how I generally started a pull was with Charge>TC>SW and then trying to tab target SS, Revenges, and Devastates while hitting TC and SW if it came back up.

Some pulls this would work to perfection, and others if I had even a slight mishap in positioning or an unlucky tab mobs would begin to peel off. Now what concerns me is with my very outdated gear for the moment, I will end up having massive problems with some DPS and get discouraged and shelf this character completely again.

My current spec/gear is: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ysondre&n=Kerith)
Is this current spec optimal for 5man use or should I look into something else? I've been messing around with MMO-Champs talent calculator and came up with this: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warrior#w3MI6pyu-y655,eR63Hq,10392.

Honestly, I'm pretty out the loop as far as specs go and wouldn't mind any advice at all as far as gear/spec/rotations are concerned.

Squirrelnut
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
The first obvious thing to change is removing the Glyph of Whirlwind (lol) for either Devastate or Heroic Strike. Beyond that 15/5/51 is good for 5mans and your gear seems fine so just work on your positioning and priorities, seems like you have the right idea just need some practice.

It never hurts to throw a skull on one target to condense the DPS a bit because there are a lot of stupid ones out there

Kerith
09-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure I use to have the Devastate glyph instead of whirlwind. I think I was going fury for a short time and changed it out. It's been well before Ulduar since I've played so I'm not even sure what I was thinking at the time =P.

I'm probably going to try and run a few heroics everyday after I get through with dailies on my current main and see if I can get back into it.

Eravian
09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately, warriors are suffering from less threat gen than other classes, but it's still very manageable. Make sure you pop Shield Slam and Revenge whenever they proc, and keep up Rend as well - every little bit helps. Raising your block value will also raise Shield Slam damage, although I can't really see what your current value is, only your rating. Also, if you're tanking one target make sure you're using Heroic Strike as much as possible, or Cleave if you're tanking multiple mobs. These moves activate on a normal weapon strike, and don't use GCD's, which make them ideal for tanking. Rage shouldn't be an issue if you have aggro.
Also, remember that you DO have that handy little Vigilance ability. If you notice the same dps passing you over and over again, pop it on them, and 10% of their threat goes to you.

Walbomb
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah Vig is a huge help. Also have dps who aren't asses will make your life easier. If they are starting aoe before you've gotten both your SW and TC off then it's a problem that the dps are stupid.