PDA

View Full Version : Druid tanking spec

animalnuff
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
If an expierienced druid tank could armory my druid, Animalnuff, and tell me if my spec is right or not that'd be nice. :o Just wondering weather I need some points in somewhere else... like infected wounds xD.

Ukk
09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Drop 2 points out of furor. With the one point in Infected Wounds you have 3 points to play with. Place them in Infected Wounds or Feral Aggression depending on which one of those overlaps with your raid comp. If both are covered youcan throw them in mangle for threat but that's not necessary.

animalnuff
09-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, I don't plan on tanking ulduar soon, because I'm more of the "oh dang we need a heroics tank" type. I tank naxx every once in awhile but, besides that I mostly heal all of our raids =o. Like I can tank most of the stuff in ulduar, but my guild needs healers more then tanks yaknow? :P Oh also should I get rid of the maul glyph because on some fights, like emalon when the add spawns next to him I'd pull threat. And yes, I have tanked 25 man emalon before o.O. Kinda new to druid tanking >.>

Liquidska
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Take 3 points out of natrual shapeshifter. You should not be shifting in the middile of fights, I would also take 2 points out of Furor as well, yes it's not a 100% chance to get rage, but when enrage gives triple the rage it really shouldn't be an issue. I also wouldnt slot shredding attacks, the rage benfit is near negliable.

So if you do those, you got 7 points to play around with. Getting 3/3 of infected wounds I think is a must, every tank class has talents to slow the attack speed of mobs by 20%, that is a standard that blizzard assumes each tank is doing. I would put the last 5 slots in either

5/5 Feral agression

OR

2/5 Feral Agression
3/3 Improved Mangle

Insahnity
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
First off, decide if you want to be pure bear or if you want some cat abilities as well. I am going to assume pure bear, based on what you have told me.

-Natural Shapeshifter doesn't make sense, drop it.
-DO KEEP FUROR 5/5! I doubt you want to be dealing with large chances of not getting rage is you don't tank all the time. Even as an experienced feral druid from vanilla wow, I findit is not worth the risk and frustration.
-Shredding attacks are for cats, the lacerate rage reduction is minimal and not worth the points.
-Do put 3/3 into infected wounds.

If you follow the above, you should have 3 points left. You have to choose between imp mangle (the likely spot), or king of the jungle. King of the Jungle is more a cat talent, because having energy back is huge, but the extra damage during enrage can be useful at times (beating down the heart during XT is just one example). A loss in armor is a non issue for magic fights, keep this in mind. If you do not have improved mangle, it does not impact your idol uptime (increased agi on mangle can be kept up without it), and the benefits are minimal if you are using beserk as often as possible. Having improved mangle does give you another button to dump rage and does translate to a respectable dps increase while in bear form (you should be shredding only in cat form).

Once you are comfortable with this, then you can experiment with losing 2 points in furor to go somewhere else, but really the same can be said about primal precision, you can gain 10 expertise from relatively easily from gear at higher gear levels.

Liquidska
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Insahnity and I are going to rip each other to shreds over this Furor thing? :p

Darksend
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I HATE HAVING 3/5 furor ever since imp mark became mandatory. that said THERE IS ZERO REASON TO HAVE IT MAXED FOR PVE

you use it once a fight, and that is before the fight starts when you can shift 10 times to get the rage if you need to.

animalnuff
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh ok thanks for the advice :D. WOAH wait one second lolol. Lately tanks have been stacking stam the most any point to it? xD. Too many questions from the newb druid.

Liquidska
09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Stacking stam is a great place to start, but there is a point where you gotta draw the line with it. If you stack stam above anything else then you just turn in to a big ole' mana sponge. You want a balance of Stam / Agi. Sadly I don't got a real good number for you to stop stam at, I follow this rule.

If gem bonus is Stam or Agi match with
-Blue - +30 stam
-Red - +20 Agi
-Yellow - +10 Hit / +15 Stam
If it's anything but Stam or Agi, +30 Stam

Insahnity
09-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Insahnity and I are going to rip each other to shreds over this Furor thing? :p

Heh heh. Furor is PITA. Everybody will have different opinions on it.

Darksend, if you need reasons, go see the debate Liquidska and I are engaging in. But I agree, it is all caused by imp mark, god I hated that change, although it did force imp mark on more druids, which is nice. They should have reduced something else from 5 to 3 in the feral tree to compensate,

Insahnity
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Stacking stam is a great place to start, but there is a point where you gotta draw the line with it. If you stack stam above anything else then you just turn in to a big ole' mana sponge. You want a balance of Stam / Agi. Sadly I don't got a real good number for you to stop stam at, I follow this rule.

If gem bonus is Stam or Agi match with
-Blue - +30 stam
-Red - +20 Agi
If it's anything but Stam or Agi, +30 Stam

Generally, gear will either be rogue gear or Tier Druid. If rogue gear, it has oodles of agi, not so much stam. If it's tier druid, it will be better overall for tanking, aim for it if in doubt.

My strategy for gemming for a bear
If the socket bonus is stam or agi, I hit it.
-Blue - +30 stam
-Red - I use SHIFTING Dreadstones, 10 agi+ 15 Stam

In the past, I used to go with 20 agi, but it's been nerfed too much for my tastes, I'm crossing over into the evils of stam stacking.

Incidentally, you can tell druid gear without seeing the name, it's leather with mostly red and blue sockets and agi/stam bonuses. Rogue gear is full of yellow sockets with hit/crit bonuses, which aren't a bad thing for druids either.