PDA

View Full Version : Aggro control with other DKs

Remaxx
09-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I've really enjoyed what I've learned here and try to put it to use as much as I can.

If you have a DK or two in the party and a DK tank (well, any tank for that matter I guess), should they refrain from throwing DND, Pest and BB out there as that is the DK tank's main aggro control mechanism? I had a situation where a DK was throwing that out and I asked him to stop...he seemed a bit offended but it did solve the problem and just wanted to know if that should be standard.

Theotherone
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I tank as a Frost DK, but am speced to dps Unholy and when I dps, I rarely throw out DnD, and almost never pop Army of the Dead. I don't like when Pally's use consecration or other DK's use DnD when I'm tanking and extend other tanks the same courtesy.

Insahnity
09-08-2009, 11:24 AM
If you are equally or better geared than the other DK, it shouldn't be a problem, as if both of you do the same DPS, you get a threat bonus from frost presence, and if you pull first, you should hold threat. In this scenario, you should not be asking them to remove anything from their rotation. I am assuming they are not doing stupid things like throwing out DnD before or at the same time as you, or pulling mobs (either by going first or deathgripping them to him).

If you are undergeared, then they as DPS must accomodate you by either removing some things from their rotation (DnD if they are pulling group threat), or the better answer, holding off on DPS until you get a head start on threat. Realize that in this situation, you are the problem, and you need to gear up (and in some cases, improve your skills) so you are not holding up a better player.

If you have a tank buddy with you, battling for threat can be a pain, but DKs do not need to be hit like warriors/bears/paladins, so don't battle for threat unless the fight requires it or if they are in danger of being overwhelmed.

PatrikL
09-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Beeing a DK tank I used to be against other DKs throwing out DnD while I'm tanking but not anymore. As someone else said unless they have much better gear than you do it shouldnt be a problem.
I usually start with DnD myself on group and then a HB and a BB. If the other DK(s) in the group also do a DnD in the begining it really shouldnt be an issue because: 1. It should never be done before you do yours and 2. Beeing in Frost presence you should do a lot more threat than they do.
Keeping threat after the inital pull I manage with HB and BB.

The main reason I think I dont mind that other DKs use DnD is that I regularly use it myself when dpsing. I didnt in the begining, afraid I would steal mobs, but after trying it out and seeing that it is very seldom an issue and also seeing the dps increase on groups and it gives I dont hesitate anymore. Sure it happens every now and then I pull aggro on a mob but thats always when I forget to assist the tank and with 95% of the tanks it is easily resolved by popping a cd and switching target.