PDA

View Full Version : Really low defense. Need halp deciding what to do about it.

Berzerker2
09-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Ok to start. Here is my armory,
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning%27s+Blade&cn=Monk%C3%A4y&gn=Ruination)

I'm wondering why with all of my gear being level 200 or above, except shoulders and libram, why I am only at 514 defense. What should I do to help get the extra 26 defense points.. I.E. Enchants(Getting +16 defense rating to cloak), Should I gem differently? And at this current defense would I be able to tank 10 nax? I know it says everywhere to have 540 defense but I cant seem to get it.

And any other suggestions would be of great help also.
In before "glyph yourself first." I know im not glyphed on protection yet. I havent started to tank yet.

Swam
09-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Shoulder back and chest need different enchants.
shoulder- sons of hodir
also there is a trinket, from reg hol I believe that had a ton of def on it, may help you out for a bit.

Mert
09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
You need 126 more Defense Rating to get to 540 Defense Skill.

- Grind HoL normal until you get Seal of the Pantheon drop - that's worth 65.
- Consider changing from the badge shield to the crafted Titansteel Shield Wall - that's an increase of 30.
- Get Sons of Hodir to exalted and use their enchant - that's another 15 Defense Rating.
- Put +16 Defense on your cloak

That will give you exactly 126 additional Defense Rating, getting you to exactly 689, the amount you need to be uncrittable.

Having said that, you're wearing an Agi and Haste ring with no Defense on it at all. Get rid of that straight away for something like Signet of the Impregnible Fortress (available for just 25 badges) and that will give you 56 Defense Rating - enough to avoid switching shields or allow you to take some of the yellow gems out of your other gear.

And no, you really shouldn't be tanking raid content until you're at 540, especially if you're just starting out as you won't even be block capped. With your level of gear, a crit (especially one by someone like Patchwerk) will drop you very fast, possible even one-shot you. Your healers would have a horrendous time keeping you up as your incoming damage would be wildly unpredictable and spiky.

Get rid of the ring and change around some of your stuff and you'll be fine :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, as the above poster said, +10 All on your chest is pretty much trash. Change it to +22 Defense or +275 Health. Probably +22 Def, as early Naxx gear typically has less Defense Rating on it than pre-Naxx stuff and you may struggle to stay above the defense minimum.

Berzerker2
09-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. Ill get right on grinding hodir rep and change some of my stuff around. Really appreciate it.

Remaxx
09-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Quick way to Hodir rep is also to buy relics in AH...was able to get enough for about 100g to get rep and get shoulder inscription.

HDEagle71
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I can't see your armory but an excellent chest piece is from Wyrmrest accord 77 def if memory serves you need to be exhalted grind the daily and wear the tabbard in normal level instances.

There is also the easy gear for 540 def located somewhere on this site.

I just changed it out the Wyrmrest Chest piece for Aegis Breast plate the high def really helps you do other things with equipment (along with the 22 def enchant).

It is ok to go over Def cap as well it is not like hit cap where there is no more benefit.