PDA

View Full Version : Human Warrior rotation

fluffy
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Does any one have any good rotation tips for human warrior? I can grab agro real quick, but keeping it is a problem. Other than gear, what would ppl suggest for a rotation?

Jivatma
09-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm assuming you mean tanking. Assuming you have a basic/proper talent spec, its more of priority thing rather then a rotation. The priority i use depends entirely on upon the situation (aoe vs. single-target threat). Keep in mind, aoe threat is one of a warriors weak spots.

For single-target threat, my priority is..

Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate > Thunderclap > Shockwave > Demo shout. (HS procs as they come up or 70+ rage or at my own discretion)

Granted this priority changes as the fight progresses. moving back when Board and Sword procs for free SS.

For AoE packs it changes a bit...

Thuderclap > Shockwave > Shield block > Shield Slam > Revenge > Demo Shout

Once again, Free HS procs as they proc and demo shout when nothign else. A lot of people use cleave in these situations, I personally don't mostly because i don't have the room on my bars. When dps'ing, i do have room fro cleave so i do in those situations. but as a tank i starve myself a bit too fast cleaving.

These are just my preferences, and are not the "industry" standards as it really changes tank to tank. Hope this helps some.

fluffy
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah i was talking about tanking, sorry i didnt really make it clear from the get-go.

Dungeons is where i fail to hold my own some of the time, like with groups. I use vigilence as and when, and while the first pull goes well, i soon lose agro and i find the group walking away - meaning i have to move around to get it back.

The rotation on groups would start with TC or HS (tho i have started experimenting with Heroic throw) and throw in SS and SB while using my macro for Devistate and Sunder armor.

Really its just the maintaining agro thing ....

Toblerone
09-08-2009, 02:02 AM
For AoE packs, keep TC/Shockwave on cooldown and tab target using SS, revenge or devastate depending on which is available. One thing that I've heard works really well is a setting with Aloft which can colour the nameplates based on threat on the mob, so you can target the ones that need more threat built on them. It takes a bit of setting up though.

For single targets: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/41426-ideal-warrior-single-target-threat-rotation.html

Hengist
09-08-2009, 02:10 AM
How does being a human affect rotation? :D

Try to be a bit ahead of your group - if you charge into a new pull leaving dpsers bit behind you will get few cds for threat before they catch up - ofc you need either an awake healer or gear good enough to survive few seconds without healing. Try to get first TC asap so your healer can work safely, then dish some single target love to targets you expect to be single target dpsed, if you have enough rage to afford not being hit for few seconds, Shockwave. Then tab and Slam/Revenge/Devastate, using TC every time it is off the cd.

drae
09-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Aloft is a big help. Allows you to quickly determine your threat levels across a ton of mobs quickly and easily. Aloft is a nameplate addon, which adds details to the name plates above characters heads. One thing you can do is color code threat levels. Green -> Yellow -> Orange --> Red for relative threat level. It does take a HELL of addon memory however and I don't recommend it if your having trouble running WoW at all.

I always open with Thunderclap - > Shockwave -> demo -> Thunderclap -> "Click" target (i don't tab!) SS / Rev / Sunder --> Spam TC on CD. CLEAVE remember if you use a mouse over macro to use abilities when aoe tanking your cleave will continue to only hit the same two mobs, if you actually select a new mob the cleave secondary target will change as well. If your having problems with AoE threat and not survivability Keep up commanding for that extra AP on TC.

In MY OPINION Single target threat rotation: Priority #1 S.S. Priority #2 Revenge, spam devastate when neither are up. Make sure you fit your TC and Demoshout debuffs instead of devastate once you have 5 sunders up. Get the devastate glyph so Conc. Blow and Shockwave are no longer necessary parts of your single target rotation and you can save them for utility.

krilz
09-09-2009, 03:56 AM
The best rotation for single target threat is (AFAIK only, this is what I've read and heard on different places, TankSpot being one of them, so I consider it correct):

Use a priority system rather than a rotation as they are more easy to follow. Always use the following abilities first if they're not on CD:

1. Shield Slam
2. Revenge
3. Shockwave
4. Concussion Blow (some people do not spec this however)
5. Devastate

And spam Heroic Strike in the meanwhile. Of course you should maintain 5 Sunders and Thunderclap/Demoralizing at all times between this. The reasoning for this list is because the abilities in the top simply produce more threat. Granted, the difference between Shockwave, CB and Devastate are not that large, but they are still there.

I never lose aggro on single target with this rotation so either the DPS I'm playing with is really bad or I must be doing something right :)

brawl
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
One thing I like to do in AoE situations is wait a second between the TC and the SW - if I charge into a group with no rage and I TC and then SW too quickly, all the mobs are stunned ( which means I'm not getting any rage ) and I barely have any rage left over while all my DPS is banging away on the target I designated.

Letting a second or two pass between the TC and SW lets me get hit a few times to gain some rage, then I can SW and start spamming abilities with less concern that I'm going to rage-starve myself.

brawl
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, another mod that helps alot with the rotations is Power Auras Classic.

I've got mine setup to bring up nice big color pictures when my abilities are usuable - this lets me easily see when I can SS, when I can revenge and if no pictures are showing - then I know to just keep spamming HS and Devastate.

I've also got it setup to show me when Shield Block is off cooldown and when the mob I'm fighting doesn't have Demo Shout on it.

Overall, it's just a great mod to have - it keeps you from having to look down at your bars to see if SS is available. There are other mods that can do similar things ( like MSBT ) but I really like the pictures that Power Auras gives, rather than trying to read text in a heated battle.

Griff
09-10-2009, 10:44 AM
"tho i have started experimenting with Heroic throw"

You should be using this as much as possible rather than experimenting with it.

When pulling three mobs, (Kill order X Y Z) Heroic throw Y(especially if Y is a caster, it silences them), charge X - shield slam X, thunderclap, rotate and shockwave the group - commence to tab-target devastate then start building aggro on X.

Throw a few cleaves into the mix when you have the rage, shockwave/TC when they come off cooldown and you should be in business.

Eravian
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Heroic Throw is a very useful ability, and can often be used at the same time that you charge, or at least very close together. That can be effective for either groups or a single target. Another little tip that you can try is to keep Rend up on the boss and/or mobs. Since you're using a one-handed weapon, it won't tick for as much, but it adds up over time. Really, though, tab cycling and/or clicking multiple targets is pretty much going to be a necessity in some cases, if you're running with a group that does a lot of AoE. Tab cycling is generally convenient, although it can create trouble when you're fighting one particular group of mobs in a room with several groups.

Also, if threat is a much bigger problem than survivability, you could try a Deep Wounds spec (if you're not already). Deep Wounds can proc off ANY crit, including Shockwave and Thunderclap.