PDA

View Full Version : Dk tank needs advice (new to tanking)

Davezznl
09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Ok if played on hunter all they way to uldear, but i was always intrested in tanking so when my guild needed a tank i was the first to ding 80 on my dk so i was assigned to MT and hurry up with gearing.

Well i got some decent gear now so we are planning to start raiding, so i need some start up advice.

If tanked naxx 10 as mt and done all hc's. Thats how far my raidung experience goes as tank.

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Neptulon&n=Undpntsgnome)
Spec: blood

I know im way over hit cap, and i need to get epertise capped (26), but i dont have any threat problems so far.

Questions:
- atm i got 1 point in hysteria but i never use it so where is the way to respec that point?
- Are there more improvements to my build?
- i tried macro-ing my runestrike to my abilities but i cant seem to get it working ( ill post macro i use when i get home)
- i got 2 red slots atm and i placed stamina gems in them, would anybody placing expertise gems in them to get closer to cap?

Remarks:

- im still farming hc's for emblems to get valor emblems bracers + tier pants.
- being new to tanking im trying to learn tactics by tankspot movies are there more ways to learning them?

Well hope some of you can help me :)
thanks in advance.

Tylovan
09-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Well, I'd say you gear's looking good at the moment, a damn sight better than my own really, however I would suggest a few things...

One is that I don't see any points sunk into Spell Deflection. As DKs we don't have any kind of actually Spell Reflect like Warriors do. We do have Anti-Magic Shell, but that's more of a magic shield than anything, and if you're someplace where there's alot of magic flying at you, that shield's gonna reach it's limit and fade real quick. Spell Deflection, while in the long run it probably doesn't soak up much of that incoming magic damage, it does stop some of it, and sometimes just that little bit is what's needed for a healer to get you topped off or to get you into the next phase of a boss or something.

As far as Hysteria goes, yeah, I'd imagine drop it. I have it in my talents but I don't use it as often as I probably could and I don't think others do either.

You could also take out the Scent of Blood talent and sink that into something else. I've never particularly had a time where I've been short on runic power as blood. I think as blood specc we tend to generate it more than we really need it. take those, throw a couple into Spell Deflection along with the point from Hysteria.

Also....Improved Blood Presence...again, it's like Spell Deflection. It may not seem like a whole heck of alot, but sometimes, in those really dire situations, that extra sliver of health is the difference between a wipe and turning a raid around.

Macros, unfortunately I don't use them horribly much so I'm not a hundred percent sure on how they work.

Gemming....I'd say you could throw in an expertise gem. Alot of healers whine about 'oh you only have (insert supposedly undesirable number here)k health?! FAIL!' But I've made complaining healers apologize by the end of dungeons because they whined about my health pool but we ran the dungeon like a freaking champ. If you wanna get to that expertise level, and you feel your health pool won't suffer too much, replace that gem.

If you have a healer or a group in general that you tend to run with, for something like that I'd say consult them. Figure out how much health you'd loose, and ask the healer if they'd still be good healing someone at that Health-point. If yes, go for it and gem, if no, eh, think about it some more. Not every healer is insecure like the ones I mentioned above. Many do know the extent of their abilities and if the good ones say no don't do it, I'd take that into account.

Aside from getting messy and making mistakes? I don't think there's much of a better way to learn those fights than by watching TankSpot's movies. You might pick up your own tricks on bosses, but that's gonna be when you actually get your hands dirty and fight them. If you find watching the videos works best for you, more power to you.

Gearfighter
09-04-2009, 07:27 AM
i myself am a blood DK but i am frost spec, i havent really tried tanking as blood because i dont believe i have much aoe control, the scent of blood talent IMO is good if you are getting tonnes of rune strikes or u wanna dump some huge runic power to get even more aggro on a boss, i see your offspec is frost and i myself find that better for tanking, but thats my opinion and mine alone. but imo if frost is your tank spec, i would take my 17 points from unholy and put them on the first 2 tiers of blood for better 2h and runic gathering as your frost strike is an aweoms threat tool on single mobs and add that in with killing spree and u got yourself nice aggro holding.

i speak from naxx25 tanking perspective but i am ready to tank ulduar

so yeah, any other questions feel free to message me :)

Davezznl
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Ok after the advice i came up with this build:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jMERqchIsozbssxhxZ0gb:dGi0mM)

any suggestion on this?
is this a better build then im currently using?

Remarks:

- Frost spec is dps Dw frost. just to explain :)
- I love blood tanking so i dont want to go frost and Threat is good, also in group pull just have to get some time to get my first rotation down.
- Also got my hands on essence of Gossamer as a improvement to beserker card.

Tylovan
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Looks pretty good to me, but one of the things to remember is that your specc should reflect your play-style. I don't find myself dumping a whole lot of RP alot of the time, so I don't have Scent of Blood. You might be different so you may need it. There are some things that there are concrete answers for, but some things, like specc, are at least partially about you personally. I can only tell you what I'd do.

As for your remark about getting your first rotation in, I'd say that's something you should do in any specc. While it is nice to get mobs down in mere seconds, sometimes it's good to step back for a few seconds as DPS and let the tank get a solid lead. Which, to be fair I've told people....eh, five to six seconds at most is my time. Usually it's alot less depending on who I have with me. So that's a mild problem, but it's easily solved by just talking with your group before you start, which should be going on anyway.

Spareribs
09-04-2009, 06:41 PM
In all honesty the spec seems a little strange to me, ive tried all specs for tanking and dpsing, and i personally found blood the most akward to tank with. But if it is what you like then you should do it, and i see with your new spec you have alot of loose talent points so i would suggest dropping Improved Icey Touch, nice to have but the 6% reduced attack speed on your target isnt really a big loss, so on that theory you then gain another 3 points, which you can use to put in i would say improved blood presence, as the basis on blood tanking is that they have improved healing on themselves as they fight. I dont think there is any other way to learn tanking other then first hand experience, the test i put my spec's and gear through overpulling and seeing how i handle the aggro and the amount of health lost during the fight, also talking to healers on how easy/hard you are to heal is a must. I personally chose Unholy as my tanking spec because its aoe threat is very high and the rotation is simple to follow, feel free to look at my spec and take a look The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Blade%27s+Edge&cn=Spareribs&gn=WTB+Mercy). Good luck tanking and i hope this helps.:)

Hades
09-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Before I start, let me clarify that I've tried tanking in blood and found it borderline impossible. Also, any changes in talents are based on your current Armory tank build.

Glyphs: Change Rune strike to Disease. Refreshing diseases with a single spell should boost your threat in the long run, since you'll have more runes to spam Heart Strike and Death Strike. That said, it frees up the two points in Epidemic, which could go into Morbidity and Abomination's Might to top those off.

Suggested Rotation after this change:
Initial Pull - DnD, IT, PS, Pest
Second - DS, DS, Pest, BB or Heart Strike.
Third - HS spam while switching through targets, then Pest.
Alternate second and third until everything's dead, and as always, use your cooldowns, and dump when necessary.

Gear: Shiny! Good job.

In closing, if you decide to try this, I hope it helps. If not, well, I did warn you that I can't tank for nothin' in Blood. lol

Tylovan
09-07-2009, 05:18 AM
I dunno about dropping the Rune Strike Glyph. Probably a good idea, since I use Glyph of disease as well and it does help, but...realistically if you've got things set up right, it doesn't much matter. every time you pop a death strike you'll be getting death runes, so I'm not sure freeing up runes is gonna particularly be a big problem. Oftentimes I find myself with a rune setup that has two blood runes and the rest are death runes. really handy.

Otherwise...*shrugs* again, do what you feel you wanna do. we can only make suggestions.