PDA

View Full Version : Aggro in tanking

ILLUSION
09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Yesterday, tanking Anub'Arac in Coliseum25 ppl i had some threat problems, I was overrided by a retro paladin
Here is my armory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=%D0%A1%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6+%D0%A1% D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B8&n=%D0%98%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B7%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD)

Here is retro paladin's armory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=%D0%A1%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6+%D0%A1% D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B8&n=%D0%94%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BB)

please, tell me, what to do, currently that pally can dps under two salves...

The priority i use -> Mangle (if CD then)-> Lacerate(if 5 stacks then) -> FF and Demo shout(if they are already there) -> Swipe
And maul is always on due to macro magic
Please give me a piece of advice - WHAT TO DO?!

Vindicatar
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
if u have a ret pally chasing u for threat, he probably has Righteous Fury turned on... ask him to check his buffs and see if he has is turned on (if he does, slap him) i doubt that its ur threat

ILLUSION
09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
No, he, obviously turns off his Righteous Fury ability
I have Hitcap and Expertise softcap, so i really dont understand the reason of my low aggro...

Strit
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Tell him to watch his threat. Because you will all wipe if he takes aggro. But I guess he must have something that increases his threat or it shouldn't happen.

Krog
09-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Are you a keypresser or clicker ? This might not be usefull , but for tanks i guess spamming keys as fast as you can is the way to go . Plus do you have a brained raid ? Misdirects always used when up ect ? It helps loads .

tankercize
09-03-2009, 04:34 AM
I'm a warrior tank personally, but I'm betting you lose out on aggro once you put up the 5x lacerates and then the demo shout in your rotation. I see the same if I try to stack up sunder armors early on. You do want them in there, and I know that demo shout isn't going to be much threat. I'm sure somewhere on elitist jerks you will find something to give you your biggest starting threat rotation for both fast and slow PCs / connections. But stacking this already stands out to me, alongside a demo shortly after (very low threat).

Paladin's are top threat when they're tanking with me and know what they're doing but DPS are nothing to worry about. I'm sure it's in that rotation and I wish I could offer more advise there

ILLUSION
09-03-2009, 04:43 AM
I am a key presser, ofc)
and misdirs are up at the start of the fight... But still, the problem remains unsolved((

Timberton
09-03-2009, 05:34 AM
I am a key presser, ofc)
and misdirs are up at the start of the fight... But still, the problem remains unsolved((

The problem is the rotation you use. Stacking lacerate to 5 right away is lower tps than doing it intertwined with maul/mangle/FFF

Standard start is:
Faerie Fire
Mangle
Lacerate x2
Mangle
Faerie Fire
Lacerate
Mangle
Lacerate
Faerie Fire
Mangle
Lacerate

IN this sequence you will notice lacerate being only applied when mangle or FFF is on cd (basiccally)

After 5 stacks of lacerate, keep a similar rotation BUT change the 4 of the lacerates with swipe (the left over lacerate will keep up the debuff)

Using this rotation i can peak to about 6.5k TPS in a stationary fight a' la' patchwerk (measured on 10 man so far). about 5k tps otherwise, and i'm not hit/expertise capped yet.

And yes, macro magic for keeping maul queued is excelent

(now if i can get around the 0.5 secs that are left over from FFF being a 1s GCD and all other bear skills are on 1.5 gcd..that'd be gravy...)

adizs
09-03-2009, 05:45 AM
I have no idea what tactics you used for this boss. But did meleestay on boss when the adds came? If they did the paladin should have used salvation on himself. Otherwise he surely used RF if he drew agro from you.

Barta
09-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Another quick trick for early aggro is to use the following rotation at the start of a fight:

FFF
Mangle
Lacerate (only 1)
Berserk
Mangle/Maul spam until Berserk ends, then go into normal rotation

You get more dps/tps out of Mangle/Maul then Lacerate obviously, but you want that first lacerate up to get the bonus damage to Maul on the bleeding target.

I have never had problems with threat on a boss fight, but on a dps race where dps will be popping cooldowns on the pull, I often use this strat. Hope it helps

Fetzie
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Ret paladins should never be pulling aggro, they have a -30% threat talent (which is disabled if RF is on). If I forget to disable RF I am very capable of putting out 15k+ tps (when in ret gear this is not advisable), I am 99% certain this is the reason why he was so close to pulling the mob off you.