PDA

View Full Version : New to 80 and need help with getting better gear

Plot
09-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Hello,
I've recently just leveled my first character to 80 (two days ago). I'm a Prot spec, undead, warrior. I've read a lot of the guides on tank spot so I have a feel of what I need to do to tank. I've also run a couple of instances with my guild but til now was either just getting gear or off tank.

My question is this. I understand that I need to run the instances, then run them in heroic to get better gear, gear as in Epic gear. I know I can also obtain gear by getting exalted with factions as well. I guess I'm looking for advice on how to start. It seems PUG'ing might be hard as I don't have 540 defense (only 430 right now). My gear is all rare from instances I have run and quests plus some rep. gear. People so far don't want to run with me.

So what path do I take to get experience and gear to Tank? I've researched the different bosses and the guides here but know I just need experience. What instance should I go for first, second? Rep? I started Wyrmcrest and got to Honorable their.

timtim89
09-02-2009, 08:27 AM
grind all the heroics u can for conquest then grind ToC heroic and non heroic

Griff
09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
The first thing you need to do is get your gear sorted. Blacksmiths can make good blue quality 'starter set' for tanks called tempered saronite gear. Its not pretty or well-itemized, but you can get it for a song and it'll help get you to your defense minimum. There's also a pretty good defense trinket(Seal of the Pantheon) you can pick up from Halls of Lightning on normal that will give you a bit of flexibility with your defense.

For heroics, it doesn't really matter - obviously some are harder than others but there's no real 'advancement' path. Utgarde Keep and Nexus are probably the easiest while TOC, Halls of Lightning and Occulus are probably the most challenging.

Run all the heroics you can. This will get you badges and some gear, but most importantly, it'll get you some valuable experience in tanking. Things like effective pulling and tanking of groups, dealing with caster adds, positioning, situational awareness, even group leadership and confidence (good qualities in a tank) all come only through experience.

Once you feel comfortable in running heroics, find your way into a naxx 10 run as an offtank and pay attention to the main tank on the run. She might be good or bad but you'll still be able to pick up some tips (if nothing more than seeing what not to do)

Axiom
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
To get started run Normal TOC over and over until you get all the tank items from Normal TOC

200PlateTankFeetBoots of Heartfelt Repentance (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47201/boots-of-heartfelt-repentance/) 200PlateTankHandsMercy's Hold (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47212/mercys-hold/) 200PlateTankLegsLegguards of Abandoned Fealty (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47171/legguards-of-abandoned-fealty/) 200PlateTankWaistGirdle of the Pallid Knight (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47227/girdle-of-the-pallid-knight/)
Then of course run it until u get the tank trinket. It is currently like 2nd BiS because of the insane proc uptime which is 20-22 percent.

Once you get these pieces, you can run some normal 80 instances or starter heroics.

VH, AN are quick and easy heroics to run through.

Once you run enough heroics, your priority should be 19 badge Neck, then the gloves. After the gloves start saving for the helm/chest. You should then be getting 2 triumph badges daily. My advice for you is to get trinket-->ring-->ranged-->helm. After that start buying tier pieces.

Plot
09-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you for your responses. I tried HVH last night and it was just sad but the group was very understanding as I told them going it what my problems were. They end gave me a gear and a gem to help me and took me to H UP but it just came do to not being able to take a hit. I didn't get spammed with noob etc.. from them and it was nice to know there are people out their willing to work with it.

I'll try some of them out and keep going and reading. Thanks!

Griff
09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Armory was back up today so I could look over your armory.

Spec: Deep Wounds in Arms>3/5 cruelty and I'd take improved charge rather than iron will which is more of a pvp skill rather than pve.

Gear: Are you in your dps set? If what you have on now is your tank kit, stop tanking instances until you get sorted because you're just going to wipe your group. A good rule of thumg is: If stuff is itemized for +crit or +attack power, its probably not for tanking and you should avoid it until you've got the essentials for your gear in order.

Get this gear tempered saronite - Wowhead Search (http://www.wowhead.com/?search=tempered+saronite) from the AH or your friendly neighborhood blacksmith - the mats are very inexpensive, usually just a couple of bars of saronite and cobalt per item or 20g from the AH - it'll get you the necessary defense level to make running dungeons a possibility.

scarecrow
09-04-2009, 08:03 AM
For what its worth, I am in exactly the same situation with my prot warrior tank. I have experience of running all the 'normal' 80 instances and have tanked UK and DTK on heroic - but when I pug for other heroics I find that I get kicked for only having ~20000HP. The situation is becoming frustrating as I miss playing my tank.

I guess I'll have to coerce my guild into helping me in ToC.

Griff
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
@Scarecrow:

Honestly, you should expect to be kicked from pugs. Yes, your gear isn't the best, but it would be adequate if you would go to the trouble of getting it enchanted. You haven't even gotten your epic stuff enchanted and you want your guild to carry you through content? We're tanks, we're supposed to be the ones carrying people, not vis-a-vis.

A quick survey of your gear reveals:
No helm enchant (+37 stam)
No shoulder enchant: (30 +stam)
No wrist enchant: (+40 stam)
No hand enchant
No leg enchant: (+55 stam)
No boot enchant: (+22 stam)
No weapon or shield or cloak enchant.
No belt buckle (+24 stam)

This alone would constitute 2080 health. If you'd finish leveling your professions, you could socket your gloves and wrists and with blue quality gems for another 480 health for 2560 total. That's more than 10 percent of your full health pool that you've left on the table And I'm not even going to go into the fact that you don't even have all your glyphs set or the 5/5 cruelty in your spec.

Plot
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
My problem was I was equipping the best armor value I could get to this point and wanted to do the most damage. I respec. prot at 75 to start getting used to all the skills and such, because honestly not most people are going into an instance these day with a lower level tank. Now that I hit 80 I'm not worried about that and I know I need to put in the time to get my gear in the right shape plus experience in instances.

I just saw a huge gap in where I was and where I need to get to that didn't require me to run instances let alone H instances. I have a plan now which is to buy the items that are crafted, grind rep for the AC and Wyrmcrest which I'm both honored with right now. Also I have enchanting as a profession so that should help. Started Blacksmithing last night and teamed with my DK which I put as mining and JC. It will take time but that is the name of the game. Thanks!

Insahnity
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Hello,
My question is this. I understand that I need to run the instances, then run them in heroic to get better gear, gear as in Epic gear. I know I can also obtain gear by getting exalted with factions as well. I guess I'm looking for advice on how to start. It seems PUG'ing might be hard as I don't have 540 defense (only 430 right now). My gear is all rare from instances I have run and quests plus some rep. gear. People so far don't want to run with me.

So what path do I take to get experience and gear to Tank? I've researched the different bosses and the guides here but know I just need experience. What instance should I go for first, second? Rep? I started Wyrmcrest and got to Honorable their.

I think the gear question has been answered, and aside from tempered saronite, there is also tempered titansteel, although some pieces (helm/boots) are redundant now that reg toc is available. Shield is still not a bad option, it has a lot of defense on it, as is armor plated combat shotgun (couldn't see armory). Do also be mindful of enchants and gems.

Above all else, having anything less than 535 defense for heroics or 540 for raids means you are NOT a tank yet, despite gear/spec/etc., think along those terms.

As for rep, the Wyrmrest is good for gear, but argent crusade rep is needed for head enchant, and sons of hodir for shoulder enchants. You have to stick it out and grind away at it. Wymrest tabad until at least reverred, while doing Argent Crusade rep quests and dailies in Zul'drak and Icecrown, and the obligatory Sons of Hodir in Storm Peaks. If you hit reverred and there isn't anything that you really want from exalted wyrmrest, strap on Argent Crusade tabard to accelerate that. From there on, you should have received a fair number of badges, gold and consequently gear upgrades through drops/badges/AH, you will have to evaluate where to go.

Insahnity
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
My problem was I was equipping the best armor value I could get to this point and wanted to do the most damage. I respec. prot at 75 to start getting used to all the skills and such, because honestly not most people are going into an instance these day with a lower level tank. Now that I hit 80 I'm not worried about that and I know I need to put in the time to get my gear in the right shape plus experience in instances.

I just saw a huge gap in where I was and where I need to get to that didn't require me to run instances let alone H instances. I have a plan now which is to buy the items that are crafted, grind rep for the AC and Wyrmcrest which I'm both honored with right now. Also I have enchanting as a profession so that should help. Started Blacksmithing last night and teamed with my DK which I put as mining and JC. It will take time but that is the name of the game. Thanks!

The first thing you need to realize is that tanking isn't about doing damage, it's about surviving and doing threat. There's a huge difference between damage and threat, and generally is secondary to survival, as dead tanks do no damage or threat. People couldn't care less about your damage, that's the job of the DPS, but they do care about your threat. if the gear does not have at least defense, dodge, parry or block in it, that's a warning flag that it isn't meant to be tanked in.

As for your plan, it is a step in the right direction. Saw your armory, prioritze changing your greens first, especially your ranged weapon as you will be very hard pressed to replace the tanking gun crafted by engineers in your foreseeable future. As for pants, although there is tempered saronite legs, I consider daunting legplates to be better, and it is crafted by smiths too.

Finally, although everything should be enchanted, prioritize the defense enchants first (chest, shield and cloak).