PDA

View Full Version : Coliseum Anub'arak

Ciderhelm
09-02-2009, 04:25 AM
b6LUcBsNRCs

This movie can be downloaded in high definition through our Donor Download Service. Click to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

The UI seen in this video is Lore's UI (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/45772-lore-s-ui.html)

Hi, this is Lore from TankSpot and welcome back to the Trial of the Crusader raid guide. This video will be discussing our strategy for Anub'arak, the final boss of the Crusader's Coliseum raid instance.

The Anub'arak encounter is split into three phases. Phase one begins at the pull with Anub'arak on the surface. A few seconds in, he'll spawn two crypt fiend adds, which should each have their own designated tank. These don't do too much damage on their own, but when in close proximity to another crypt fiend they gain a buff that significantly increases their damage output. However, they don't have a terribly large health pool, so we simply had ranged DPS split off temporarily to burn them down while melee stayed on the boss. He'll spawn two waves of these for every surface phase, so they do need to be killed fairly quickly or you risk your tanks getting overwhelmed.

Notice the blue patches appearing on the ground. This is Permafrost, one of the most important mechanics for phase 1 and 2. It's created by killing the blue orbs floating above. In phase 1, the crypt fiend adds will occasionally try to burrow underground. If they're successful, they'll resurface shortly afterward, usually in line with either the next wave of adds or the beginning of phase 2. However, if a crypt fiend attempting to burrow is standing on a patch of permafrost, the ability will fail, so they need to be kept on top of Permafrost as much as possible. The blue orbs only have 9000 health, so they can and should be brought down quickly and regularly. Note that the Permafrost also slows your movement speed by 80%, but we didn't find that to be particularly troublesome.

About a minute and a half into the fight, Anub'arak will burrow underground and begin phase 2. He'll start chasing random raid members around underground and shooting spikes up through the floor as he moves. These deal about 3000 damage and knock anyone hit up into the air a short distance. On top of that, if he reaches his target, he'll impale them for around 20,000 damage and knock them very high in the air -- enough to take a good chunk of fall damage. However, if he attempts to launch his spikes through Permafrost, he'll be stunned momentarily and pick a new target. This also destroys the patch of Permafrost, so it's important to keep killing those somewhat regularly during Phase 2.

As he's chasing people around, several nonelite scarabs will spawn around the room. These have a little over 100,000 health and, although they don't do very much melee damage, they can apply a fairly potent damage over time effect. This effect stacks, so it's best to just have your DPS burn them down as they spawn and not worry too much about tanking them.

After about a minute, he'll resurface and begin phase 1 again. He doesn't reset aggro, so he should go right back to the main tank at this point. However, both the tank and the raid will need to be mindful of how the boss is positioned, as Anub'arak has a powerful frontal cone AOE attack that deals a heavy amount of damage to anyone caught in front of him. Not only does the tank need to point him away from the raid quickly, but the rest of the raid needs to be sure to move out from in front of him as well.

The majority of the fight is spent alternating between the surface and burrow phases. Making the most of the time he spends on the surface is crucial, as you'll only be able to go through 3 or 4 rotations before you risk running into his 10 minute enrage timer. To help maximize the amount of time spent DPS'ing Anub'arak, you can offtank one or both crypt fiends from the second wave and wait to finish them off until the boss submerges. If you do need to have melee DPS help out on the first wave of adds, at the very least you'll want to let classes with long ramp-up times on their DPS rotations (such as Feral Druids or Retribution Paladins) stay on the boss full time.

It's important to note that Anub'arak hits very hard -- around 20 to 25 thousand damage on a decently-geared main tank. On top of that, while he's on the surface he can hit up to three random raid members with an 18-second damage over time effect called Penetrating Cold. On the 25-man normal mode, this does 3,500 Frost damage every 3 seconds for the duration. This is, of course, in addition to the damage that the two offtanks will be taking from the crypt fiends, so healers will need to stay on their toes during the surface phases. Fortunately, healing is much lighter once Anub'arak is underground, so you can and should use that time to regen as much as possible; you'll need your mana for phase 3.

Also note that some early guides have mentioned that you could avoid the burrow phase entirely by keeping Anub'arak on top of large patches of Permafrost. Although this was possible on the public test realms, Anub'arak can burrow through it on live servers. However, the burrow phases are much more relaxed than they were during public testing, so going through phase 2 isn't as big of a deal and, as I mentioned, provides some valuable regen time.

You may have also noticed that I'm spending a large amount of time on top of the permafrost during the burrow phases in this video. This is because we were unsure of the mechanics of his Impale ability and were acting under the impression that it could be used randomly at any time on anyone who wasn't standing on Permafrost. Since he'll only try to use that ability if he reaches the player he's chasing, this is unnecessary and just means I'm running around a lot slower than I need to be.

Once Anub'arak reaches 30% health, he'll begin phase 3 by activating an ability called Leeching Swarm. This is a zone-wide aura that causes each player to take damage equal to 10% of their current health every second. You'll need very strong AOE healing to keep everyone alive here, but it's important to recognize that the amount of damage taken depends on how much health a player currently has and NOT the size of their health pool -- the less health you have, the less health you take. You may be able to tell from my raid frames in the upper left corner that the healers aren't topping everyone off; they're just keeping everyone but the main tank at about 50%. By doing so, they actually reduce the amount of damage the raid is taking and keep themselves from being overwhelmed.

Once phase 3 has begun, Anub'arak will no longer burrow underground and no more adds will spawn. The fight becomes a DPS and survival race at this point; you need to kill him before your healers run out of mana. Like with the phase 2 transitions, you can temporarily ignore crypt fiends to push him into phase 3, but they should be killed off immediately afterward to lighten the load on the healers. Once everyone's attention is on the boss, use any available cooldowns including Bloodlust or Heroism to bring him down quickly.

Although the fight is relatively simple, Anub'arak is a fair step up in difficulty from the previous bosses in the instance and makes a pretty good lead-in to the much harder Heroic mode bosses. As always, you can find more information on Anub'arak or any other encounter by visiting the Project Marmot forums at Tankspot.com. If you're watching this on youtube, just follow the link in the movie details. Thanks for watching, and good luck!

sud
09-02-2009, 05:30 AM
I really don't need to say this, but TS ROCKS!

Empathic
09-02-2009, 05:42 AM
This fight is not too terribly difficult compared to the other encounters on 10 man. Myself (holy priest) and a resto druid managed to two-man heal the entire run without wiping until Anub'arak. After two wipes we had it figured out and downed him. We found, in our first two wipes, that our raid was simply dying from a stacking debuff we couldn't identify, then later discovered it was from the non-elite adds that come into the fight. Having dealt with these adds with ranged dps only, it almost completely negated any raid damage during that phase and simplified the healing required for the fight a tremendous amount. Aside from spike tank damage and an add rush, we found that this was the biggest issue for healing.

Ezimodnar
09-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Glad your server was actually capable of doing it!

On ours he wasn't there. Was good fun.

Reij
09-02-2009, 06:38 AM
We found this fight to be rather easy on 10-man Normal. It appears that Penetrating cold will only affect the MT, and it's more of a nuisance rather than a real problem.

One of the keys to winning for us was having the tanks stay away from the non-elite adds (thereby avoiding the poison debuff) during the burrow phase. This made it significantly easier for our healers to heal through Anub'arak's very damaging hits. Other wipes were due to chase targets not leading him to permafrost patches. So, the quick and dirty for this fight seems to be:

1. Have one ranged designated for shooting down permafrost.
2. DPS elite adds while OT keeps them on permafrost.
3. Kite Anub'arak into permafrost during burrow phases.
4. Save cool-downs and Bloodlust/Heroism for phase 3.
5. Loot.

For the record, we did not have nearly as hard a time with Anub'arak as we've had with the faction champions. This was the first week we downed the faction champions, we've now cleared the raid on 10-man normal. If Anub'arak is a preview of the 10-man heroic, then we'll probably start knocking on those doors as Anub was exactly that: a nub(sic).

Cottoncandie
09-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Well we were convinced we could avoid the burrow phase and coincidentally wiped all night lol. I am so glad to know it can't be avoided so we can stop trying that lol.

Lavache
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
We stumbled into Anub last night as our last attempt of the night after getting through the Twins and without much strategy other than what was posted on WowWiki managed to one shot him (10 man.) Going in uninformed we had 3 healers, a warrior MT and a paladin OT who went ret for the fight since I misread the strategy and didnt realize there were adds. Paladin and dps had no problems with the adds during P1 and in P2 other than the stacking debuff they weren't an issue. We tried to keep everyone on the permafrost as much as possible (probably due to a slight misunderstanding of mechanics) and it worked out really well, especially in P2 since no one was getting ganked by Anub. P3 is just a burn like Reij mentioned.

Edgar
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I translated this on-the-fly while we were standing in front of him and I got a shweet tanking sword.

NO MORE RED SWORD :D

Mallett
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Could be an issue with Grid, but has anyone had luck adding Penetrating Cold as a debuff in Grid? Our healers didn't have any luck with this last night and I'm wondering if it was isolated, we have the incorrect name, grid, or something else. Will make healing this puppy in P3 a much nicer battle.

garrodd
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Could be an issue with Grid, but has anyone had luck adding Penetrating Cold as a debuff in Grid? Our healers didn't have any luck with this last night and I'm wondering if it was isolated, we have the incorrect name, grid, or something else. Will make healing this puppy in P3 a much nicer battle.

I had no problem at all adding it to my grid debuffs. It worked just fine.

Pylae
09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Yah, I got him basically completely on to a patch of permafrost and he still burrowed, so I was thinking the original video had that error.

Plus the tooltip says "Prevents MOST creatures from burrowing." That'd be a funny thing to write if it actually prevented everything from burrowing.

WoW tooltips are infallible, after all.

klor
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
phase 3 is soooo hard for trigger happy healers :( I relied specifically on my LHW critting on the tank to heal people when their health dropped low. Otherwise my heals hit too hard and people complained on phase 3.. Soooo hard to fight the urge to top everyone off during that phase :-/

Mallett
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Garrodd. Going to log in and double check my spelling. Hopefully just something goofy that I did.

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
One thing to note, if you look up on Wowwiki and other sites, they claim that his Ice block attack he does on the main tank is only occuring in 25man, this is untrue. We got him down last night and he does do this attack in 10 man. The attack itself isn't terribly dangerous in terms of damage but 3 seconds of no avoidance is where you potentially run into spike damage.

klor
09-02-2009, 09:10 AM
And actually Cider.. An amendum you may add to this for the guilds having trouble out dpsing the enrage timer in phase 3..

Keeping people at 50% makes this very hard on yourself. You can just let most people sit around 2K-5K hp and hit them randomly with a heal. Mana really should not be an issue in this phase at all. Remember, its 10-20% of current hp, with a 250minimum. So even at 2K health it takes 8 ticks to kill someone. Honestly, if people are dying in phase 3.. its because they have an add on them or your healers fell asleep. It's a pretty trivial raid healing encounter contrary to what people claim.

This also nullifies the amount of health he drains, making the dps check much lower as well to finish him off. (I cant claim credit for this tip though.. it was the officers in my guild that brought it up.)

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Agreed klor,

the key point is to let your raid get as low as your raid is comfortable with. The lower your raid sits at the less of a dps check it becomes because he heals for less, the biggest thing is just to know NOT to top people off except the main tank.

Lore
09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
The reason you want to keep people's health up isn't because of the AOE ticks, it's because he can still cast Penetrating Cold.

Crystalhaze
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Well we were convinced we could avoid the burrow phase and coincidentally wiped all night lol. I am so glad to know it can't be avoided so we can stop trying that lol.

So did we :( and we still managed to push him into p3, but hit the enrage timer. Kinda irritating when they change something that big from the ptr to live, but hey, what can you do?

If you sit people at 2k hp and they get hit with a penetrating cold, they are just about insta-dead. If you have healers that are incredibly quick, it should work, but for most people 5k hp is a good buffer to keep people alive through the dot.

Lightsfury
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Maybe 25 man will be different, but the 10 man version was a pushover. We 1 shot him while trying the "keep him on permafrost" strategy. Our warrior main tank got crunched during the 1st ice block (not sure what its called) and I had to tank everything for the remainder of the fight. Would have been funny for someone else listening in on the vent. "Don't wipe it. See how far we can get." *5-7 min later* Guild spammed with [Call of the Crusade (10 player) (http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=3917)].

Chunes
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Could someone tell me what the debuff tracker mod Lore is using top center in his screen is called?

(Before you waggle your finger at me and tell me to consult his UI thread, please note that this mod is not included nor mentioned in any of his documentation or any of the replies.)

Squirrelnut
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
We downed him on both 25m and 10m last night and it is a fairly fun fight. I got his ENTIRE hitbox on the ice and he still burrowed so it is definitive that you cannot prevent phase 2 on live.

What worked best for us was similar to the vid keeping all our melee on the boss non-stop and just have ranged switch to burn down ads as needed and also dropping as much frost as possible.

I worry about fights like faction champions and this on heroic diff but it is fairly straight forward on normal (although 25m is definitely much more taxing then 10man).

One thing to be aware of, I tend to pickup ads without thinking and it is not a good idea to have the MT have like 10 stacks of the ad debuffs lol

Nadirizenith
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Since the realease of TOC, I have been taking PUGs in there on 10 man setting. All in all I have only had real problems with faction champs, but once CC's are under wraps it becomes an easy fight (you can tell when CC's are not being handled properly because you won't even get 1 down, but if they are you clear it and rofl at how smooth is went).

I am just wondering 1 thing before I do my pug tonight. In P1 on 10 man, is there still 2 adds that must be kept seperated, or can the damage be handled by one tank? If it can not be, do you have a plate wearing class or druid go bear and pull one to the side, or does the MT just pick one up?

jaydee
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Something that people might find useful. Death Grip works in positioning the Frozen Spheres.

Other than that, we downed this on our 2nd attempt in 10-man last night. Yup, no matter how huge the patch of ice we setup and how centered he is, he still burrowed.

We did this with 2 tanks, one for the big adds, and another for Anub himself. Whenever he burrows, the group splits into two, one group to each side quickly burning down the small bugs. Tanks avoiding the small bugs is helpful in easing healing since the stacking DOT they do can be a problem.

Having macros for targeting Frozen Spheres for shooting or death gripping also helps, so ranged can just keep spamming this macro.

illu
09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Has anyone experience with heroic mode of Anub'arak?

We didn't have much trouble with killing him in 10-man normal mode(firsttry - firstkill) and also cleared the10-man heroic version up to Anub'arak within 8 wipes but we find especially P2 on Anub'arak quite challenging. It seems that we only have like 5 spheres we can use for putting up permafrost.

Do we have to kite the spikes for a little time so that 5 permafrost areas are enough? Do they respawn when we come to P1 again? (we never made it through P2)

Anub'arak just seems to be a lot harder than the other bosses.

DnQuxiti
09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Killed him on 10 last night after 1 wipe, it was worth it for the vent chat though.
"Where is the permafrost" "We're supposed to stand on it" "Does anyone see it?" "Where is it?" "Crap"
"We must be doing something wrong"
"Oh, hey, guys, look up"
Entire raid "Ohhhhhh....."
After that it was no problem.

Daishar
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
We did Heroic mode 10m last night.. There are only 6 permafrost for the entire fight, meaning you can only survive 1 burrow phase. Mages can iceblock and not die to the spikes to save a permafrost, other ways are unknown. We entered into P3 a couple times but died. First attempts we used heroism early to push into P3 then realized it was unnecessary and saved it for P3 like normal. All dps is on Anub when he is not burrowed, we tanked the adds behind him and positioned anub so his back was on the edge of a permafrost (so to not allow the adds to burrow).. having the adds here, they soaked up some aoe while everyone was on the boss. After the first burrow, we focused all the elite adds down so there were none as we enter P3.

Tonight we are going back fresh and should down him. Hardest part is P2 while hes burrowed and kiting.

In theory the only people not kiting spikes or downing the 6 permafrost should be grouped together so the nonelite adds can be continuously dps down without killing healers

illu
09-03-2009, 02:46 PM
We continued trying Anub'arak 10-man heroic today an reached P3 but always wiped at about 15-20%

Setup: 2 tanks 2 healers 6 dd

After the fight startet we shot down all 6 spheres and 2 dd were killing the elite adds wich were tanked directly behind Anub'arak on permafrost.

In P2 a rogue and a hunter were kiting the spikes as good as possible so that we always had 1-2 permafrost left for the 2nd P1.

We entered P3 without adds and ignored the new spawning elites but never survived longer than up to 15-20%

@Daishar
How did you manage to offtank all the adds in P1? Until P2 there should be like 6 of them? How many healers? Who interrupted their shadowstrikes (idea: fok rogue)?

Nicole
09-03-2009, 10:56 PM
We tried it on 25 man yesterday and we were definitely doing something wrong.

First we tanked the adds all bunched up together near the boss, which kept killing the offtanks. Then we assigned more dps on the adds, to kill them quicker, and eventually we assigned all dps on the adds as long as more than 2 adds are up.

We hit the enrage timer (at 7:11? :S) with Anub's health being like 55%.

Once we realized the bunching up was the problem, we had both offtanks tank the adds in different sides of the room and put 3 mages on the adds, but that turned out not to be enough to get the adds down quick enough so the tanks never have to tank more than one add.

I've got some questions:
-What causes the Swarm Scarabs (white adds) to become red and 'enraged', regaining their health and becoming immune to movement slowing effects?
-what's the best way to kill Swarm Scarabs? we tried mostly single targeting them down but they didnt go down quick enough, we always had to finish some off when Anub came above again.
-How much dpsers should be put on the bigger adds?
-Do you assign 1 person to keep killing the frost spheres?

Nadirizenith
09-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Just cleared 10 man, and some notes to make compared to 25 man are as follows:

-Only 2 Crypt Fiends come out in each above ground phase, and only 1 at a time. To optimise dps on Anub'arak, all dps killed the first one asap, then when the second came out, the OT held him on a permafrost until phase 2 began. When phase 2 began, ranged killed the Scarabs and melee killed the Crypt Fiend.

-There are fewer of the orbs, but there should be no reason why there is not enough to handle all the phases (we got him to 30% just at the end of the second phase 1, he still did his phase 2, but initiated phase 3 as soon as he surfaced).

-Druid and DK tanks help a lot for phase 2, since they can range attack (druids can go to their KE/Tauren forms and DK's can icy touch and death coil while taunting to kite).

The grp that I led was a PUG, but we 1 shot him with only 1 healer dying.

Tanks: DK and Druid
Heals: Pally, Druid, Shammy
DPS: Lock, Pally, Rogue, Mage and Hunter

Etubrute
09-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Hey all,

Our guild downed this last night with relative ease in 25 Regular.

Raid Makeup:
3 Tanks
5 Healers
17 DPS

Phase 1:
- For this phase we only killed the first add that spawned
- We had 2 OT's tank the remaining 3 adds, one tanking 2 adds the other tank 1 add and ALL dps was on the boss

Phase 2 (Burrow):
- First we finished off the three adds being held
- Then we just killed the non-elites avoiding spikes etc

Phase 1 (Again):
- Same strat as above with Phase 1

Phase 2 (Again):
- Same strat as above with Phase 2

Phase 1 (You must get him to Phase 3 Here):
- Again we killed the first ADD only and all dps burn-forced the boss to go into phase 3 to ensure he doesn't burrow again.
- About 20 seconds before Phase 3 we popped Bloodlust, burned the boss to 30% and burned the remaining 3 adds

Phase 3:
- Make sure all the adds are dead
- All DPS on the boss
- To avoid overhealing we assigned healers to 1 or 2 groups individually

Overall, this is a very fun fight and definetly takes focus and good heals to get it done. Hope this strat helps people. :cool:

Taei
09-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey all,

Our guild downed this last night with relative ease in 25 Regular.

Raid Makeup:
3 Tanks
5 Healers
17 DPS

Phase 1:
- For this phase we only killed the first add that spawned...
We only had 20 raiders on last night (+ 3 non-guild friends helping) and this tactic worked beautifully for us, thanks :D It's more of a DPS race than it initially seems (phase 3 is scary for the healers, but not too much healing is required, more about precision of healing than throughput).

Tomken
09-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Could someone tell me what the debuff tracker mod Lore is using top center in his screen is called?

(Before you waggle your finger at me and tell me to consult his UI thread, please note that this mod is not included nor mentioned in any of his documentation or any of the replies.)

Wondering at the same.

Vengence
09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I would love to see the 25 man remake of this guide. As always you folks do a great job, and out constantly keeping me alive

Daimon
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
So far the best strat for this fight i've seen in 25m is leaving 3 adds for p2, just burn 1 and then hit the boss, doing that you will only face 3 p2, even maybe only 2. Unless your dps is very high, then you can posibly burn 2 w/o dropping dmg on the boss. When melee is done w the 3 adds in P2 they can help w the scarabs, as long as they dont eat too many stacks of the dmg.

Nuurdie
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
How do you keep the dang scarabs off the tank? Every time it seems, one of them gets a wild hair to chase me down and when Anub comes back up I have at least 4 stacks of the dang debuff and it makes the healers wanna poke out my eyes with hot pokers!

Widdox
09-30-2009, 09:08 AM
How do you keep the dang scarabs off the tank? Every time it seems, one of them gets a wild hair to chase me down and when Anub comes back up I have at least 4 stacks of the dang debuff and it makes the healers wanna poke out my eyes with hot pokers!

If you have a paladin in the raid.. Have them /focus you. Doesnt matter if its ret prot or healer. However ret or prot is better. When you get a add chasing you just call out for your paladin friend to use this macro.

/cast [target=focus] Righteous Defense

That will pull the adds off you and to the paladin. Our druid tank does this often and I taunt off her all the time so she is kept clean. She goes kitty for p2, to avoid adds and kite the boss if he targets her.

Kazeyonoma
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
The tanks have to be very careful during phase 2 to not aggro the adds, even if that means doing very little dps, use this time to help slow things down if you are a dk with chains of ice, if you're a warrior, stun the crap out of things or hamstring em if you're ballsy, paladins can avenger's shield, and druids can feral charge. It's kind of a tough situation because you want to help burn them too and keep em off of your squishies, but if you don't keep em off of your MT, he's as good as dead if he gets too many stacks going into an emerge.

Daimon is pretty spot on in terms of how my raid handles it except we burn down the first "set" of adds so 2, then the 2nd set I just hold em until phase 2 begins.

Deathreach.Malf
10-01-2009, 08:47 AM

probably his scrolling battle text mod, parrot. You can customize most battle text mods so certain events will be sticky, meaning when it pops up it will not scroll and will appear in bold text. I have the same thing, but i use MiksScrollingBattleText. I don't know about parrot, but with miks you can also add sound effects for any specific event you want, like talent or trinket procs.

Vengence
10-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I would love to see more DK tanking videos, great job as always, thanks tankspot!

skuxdeluxe
10-04-2009, 09:52 PM
This was alot of help managed to down him after three attempts with my guild thanx tankspot

Cronaldo
10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
I dont know WHY we could not kill this boss last night.

at the beginign we had 8 healers!!! yes 8!!! then we changed two of em and the raid make up was

3 tanks
5 healers
17 dps.

We did good, but we did not reach phase 3.

Is there any MINIMUN dps required for this fight. I was top dps in some attmepts with 5k dps (5.5k some times)

Erja
10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
DPS is significant for this fight in a number of ways:

1) DPS needs to quickly burn down the first two adds that spawn during p1. They then need to DPS Anub as much as possible before he submerges.

2) As soon as Anub submerges and p2 begins DPS needs to quickly do 2 things. First, they need to burn the 2 adds that have been OTed through p1, and then they need to quickly kill scarabs as they spawn throughout p2.

3) DPS needs to get Anub into p3 in 1 or 2 submerge phases, otherwise it's likely a wipe due to Anub's enrage timer.

4) Lastly, if you do make it to p3 with sufficient time left on his enrage, you need to do enough DPS to outdamage his HOT/leech effect which is constantly healing him. This is noticeably less extreme in normal mode, but still a factor if DPS isn't up to par.

Everytime I PUG Anub (in either 10 or 25) wipes are a direct result of poor DPS. DPS need to not die to dumb things (as in, anything that hurts you in p2) and they need to be able to pump out high levels of efficient DPS while switching priority targets quickly.

Erja
10-06-2009, 09:19 AM

I've found it helpful to do the following:

1) Stay in the middle as much as possible (i.e. other players between you and the scarabs as they spawn).

2) Keep an eye out for Scarabs that seem to have targeted you - kite them before they get close to you.

3) Avoid doing anything that might gather AoE threat. If you are going to dps a target make sure you do not get aggro on it (hard for tanks to do, I know).

4) Make sure the other players in the raid know that the MT/OT cannot be relied upon to tank the scarabs and the dot will lead to wipes. If you mark the tanks and the other players know this then they can help snare/cc/dps scarabs that appear to be chasing after tanks.

Cronaldo
10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
My guild has 2 10m group farming 10m CC and AB is not a problem on 10m.

But 25m we did not get 3rd phase ever.

Vengence
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
This just in, if your T(r)dps is under 91k. the odds of you killing anub within enrage timer are 50=>1. Bench it the next time you go in Using Recount for Total (raid) dps. My guild seems to not be able to break 91k, and we wiped 8 times, went in for another 5 the next day with no luck. Though we did take away alot of useful information for this fight.

Tanks need to be at 2k dps, Healers can through in hits when they are other wise engaged. Elite adds spawns are 100% Random, some times 2 from right, some times one from each side, some times 4 from one side. leaves the 3rd tank saying wheres my adds!? while 2nd tank says ohhh-shhhh!7 . Small Scarabs Can Enrage and Ice Does NOT SLOW!.

Path of frost just before 25 people hit the water kills raids. :D (my personal favorite!)

lastly during 3rd phase: Everyone Except the MT, should be kept at 30% - 50% HP. Even the OT's. The damage per tick is not as much as many people think it is, Which I am quite sure is the primary factor to many failed attempts. This puts a very heavy strain on any well equiped-tacticly aware healer. The less HP you have remaining the Less the Next Tick will hit for. I wasnt able to fraps for exact tick incrementals.

ccagan
10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
We have had the place on farm for a few weeks in normal mode, after 11 attempts one week we have 1 shot anub 2 weeks in a row now.

Tips for off tanking this fight in 25 man.

1) In phase 1 make sure your off tanks are far enough away that the buff from the adds does not stack, but close enough for BACON of light to work correctly. We will put one off tank next to anub on permafrost to add some additional dps to him and the 2nd stays away. Anub does not receive a buff from the adds as far as I can see.

2) Man up and tank 2 adds. At this point as a tank you should have plenty of 245 and 232 gear and tanking two should not be a problem. Toss on your BV gear and take a pounding. We just off tank all 4 because we found our DPS to be most productive if they don't have to change targets and we have some bombdigity healers who have no problem keeping up with all of the tank dmg.

3) If you get stacked with the nature debuff from the scarabs you need a bubble. If you're a paly, no prob. Any other class a HoP will work just fine. Oh noes! What about the adds beating on me when I get a bubble. They can be stunned, giving you plenty of time to receive a bubble and cancel it with a macro. Holy Wrath/Shadow Fury/Shockwave should be plenty of time to handle that. (not sure if an unglyphed thunderstorm or tidal wave would work as well..)

4) Phase 3 changes the rules. Your raid should have the dps to put him into phase 3 during the 3rd ground phase (come on, if you have the dps to keep anub up in only 2 ground phases what are you doing reading this...) and at this time you should have 1 add on you per off tank. Here is what changes:

Take the add of the permafrost. You don't kill him, so let him burrow under and stop hitting you for a bit.
Stun and kite them. He can't hit you if you're too far away. (make sure you have plenty of threat before you take off, ya know, looking out for the healers and all). Keep in mind not to get too close to the other add and not to get out of range of your heals. I know I know, that balance of far but not to close but not to far either..

Most of this was probably already said.. but I have a tendency to just hit the last page and post a reply.

Nour
11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Are there 2 crypt fiends in 10man also or just 1?

Nour
11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
:confused: Is there 2 crypt fiends in 10man also or just 1?

keebz
11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
There's just 1 fiend at a time in 10man normal Anub'arak. There are 2 at a time in 25 man Anub'arak normal.

In ToGC (grand), there are 2 at a time in 10 man, and 4 at a time in ToGC25.

Winwin
11-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for sharing, really helped me and my guild! :]

Fluxx
11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Might be helpfull to have atleast 1 rogue in the raid... to put up Wound poison... so the healing the boss recieves will be reduced

Kazeyonoma
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
or an ms warrior or a hunter...

Frostmizer
12-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Many guilds on my realm have devised a new way to help in phase 3. Provided the burrowers have a relatively long amount of time spent burrowed, if phase 3 begins with 2 adds still up, simply let them burrow. This reduces the amount of time spent with the healers having to keep an additonal raid member (or two if you use 2 tanks) at a higher amount of health. This will not only reduce the amount of healing Anub'Arak receives, but also means that dps will not have to focus on burning the adds down and can spend more time nuking the boss.