PDA

View Full Version : Wintergrasp Koralon

Ciderhelm
09-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Vgrw5_zPoOE

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

The UI seen in this video is Aliena's UI (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/54528-aliena-s-ui.html)

Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Vault of Archavon raid guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll explain the strategy we use for the 25-man version of Koralon the Flame Watcher, the newest addition to the Wintergrasp raid instance.
If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right. You will be automatically notified as we release movies that way.

Just like Archavon and Emalon, Koralon will only be available to fight if your faction is currently in control of Wintergrasp and will despawn ten minutes before a new battle for Wintergrasp.

While Koralon does not have a hard enrage timer, he gains a stacking buff from the time you engage him called Burning Fury. This increases the damage he deals by 5% every 20 seconds and acts as soft enrage timer.

Approximately every 30 seconds after engaging the fight, Koralon uses an ability called Meteor Fists. This gives him a buff for 15 seconds that makes him deal additional 100% to 125% fire weapon damage and, like many meteor abilities, splits the damage taken evenly across targets within 10 yards. To avoid having your tank get one-shot, you can choose to either split the damage with an off-tank or have your melee stay close to your tank to spread the damage evenly. Alternatively, if you're low on tanks, you could set up a cooldown rotation. You will also need a good mix of AoE healers for this encounter.

After Meteor Fists, Koralon tends to use Burning Breath, which is an AoE whirl ability that inflicts 5500 fire damage to every raid member per second for three seconds - so with 0 stacks of Burning Fury you have 16.5k raidwide damage incoming over 3 seconds. As Burning Fury stacks up, this may get tougher to heal through. Discipline priest bubbles are very useful here to avoid spike damage deaths. Also make sure your raid is mostly grouped up so people can easily be reached by AoE heals.

Lastly, Koralon will occasionally target a raid member with Flaming Cinder. Basically, he'll whirl a ball of fire at someone that turns into a little flame patch at their feet. The initial Flaming Cinder hit deals around 5500 damage in the 25 man version and then 4.5k damage every second to anyone standing within 4 yards of it. The ancient rule of "it's probably a bad idea to stand in fire on the ground for long" applies.

Melee seem to be frequent targets of Flaming Cinder, so loosely kiting him once there are many patches is advised. Tank and raid damage in this fight is fairly heavy, but the soft enrage will prevent you from taking too many healers, so this fight is a clear DPS race.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, justclick the second link in the movie information box!

Anio
09-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Good video and very nice strategy explanation!

vine
09-02-2009, 05:23 AM
We just facerolled through with on 25 with zero strategy discussion, it's a really easy encounter. Easier than Emalon.

"Don't stand in the fire"
???
PROFIT!

Brucimus
09-02-2009, 08:40 AM
what kind of drops? He didnt drop any T9 does he?

Foolish
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
He dropped two level 232 Tier 9 gloves on 10-man when I did it. Others got level 226 pvp or 226 Tier 8.5 items.

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
He drops the 2nd tier of tier 9 (trophy + emblem purchasable) in 25 man, as well as relentless Gladiator gear.

dirt
09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
We did him on 10man as soon as our realm came online. I must agree, compared to Emalon, he's a real push over. Just avoid the fire and your golden. No one in our 10man even got close to dying. Maybe 25man will be harder, but I doubt it.

Satrina
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I am pretty sure that Meteor Fists only splits damage between Koralon's current aggro target and a single target within 10 yards of that person. That's what the combat logs in our group showed at least. I'm not yet sure if it's random or closest.

Ion
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
So it's not a meteor mechanic so much as it is a saber lash mechanic? In any case you can just have two tanks take it, right?

Aliena
09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Hmm yeah from looking at it it looks like you may be right, it just picked a random melee in my footage to use as cushion. Wonder if that's health or threat dependent. And yes, ideally you want two tanks. We just tend to laze our way through things.

Satrina
09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Almost certain it's not depending on threat. I'll be running it again in the next day or so again with guild mains so I'll be able to have people arranged as I want to, to see what's up.

Also, I forgot to confirm for sure, but I believe Meteor Fist is fire damage so you can use anyone with decently high health as the split.

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
you can test it with just a few players also by going into VoA and grabbing the fire adds in his chamber, they cast meteor fists as well.

klor
09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Aliena... I have a suggestion for you. :P

Tell that hunter in the first few seconds of the movie that fire is bad haha.

Satrina
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Appears to be simple proximity for meteor fists. We had one person standing on me and another 5 yards behind and the one right on me took the damage every time.

then00b
09-02-2009, 11:17 PM
didn't think about it the first time in, but don't stand in the middle, the fire is practically invisible, but it does show a debuff if you're in it

Muffin Man
09-03-2009, 12:56 AM
As a note his hitbox is so large that if there's a soaker, he'd better be standing in front with the tank.

We single tanked it with a dps DK to soak. He dps-ed from the back like a good dps and I ate every meteor fist solo. Was manageable on 10 man with the healer going a little worried the first time. Then we chained cooldowns on the next 3 for the kill.

Fetzie
09-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Did the encounter last night on 25 man. I am fairly sure I was the sole target of meteor fist, at least no-one else seemed to take a large amount of damage when they landed. It dealt between 36 and 40k damage to me, if this was after the damage split melee should have been falling like flies. Loot was T9 (245) and relentless gladiator (1 armor and 1 ring), along with a couple of emblems of triumph.

Mcfobos
09-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Aliena... i'll dream about your voice... echo dream :)

/cheers

klor
09-08-2009, 05:07 PM
they nerfed whirling breath on koralon :( or so it seemed. I only noticed 2 ticks instead of the typical 3-4 :-/

Chamenas
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
So what sort of unbuffed hp should a 25 man tank be going in with? After the nerf to DK health, I went down to 30k hp and have just finally made it back up to 32k, but I cannot seem to stay alive during the fight, even though I save my cooldowns for molten fists. I personally think it's the healing, but I'm biased. So I'm trying to determine what I could be doing better first.

Mr.Winkle
09-09-2009, 09:10 AM
32k sounds reasonable, are you spliting the meteor fists damage between yourself and another tank? If not then that's why your dying.

Theotherone
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm at about 32k hp unbuffed also (Frost DK) and I've tanked it on both 10 and 25; sounds like a healing issue.

Chamenas
09-09-2009, 06:40 PM
32k sounds reasonable, are you spliting the meteor fists damage between yourself and another tank? If not then that's why your dying.

Well, I was the OT. I did 10 man just fine. I got kicked from the 25 man group. :)

Sinfulcreed
09-11-2009, 06:12 AM
32K is fine for 25man. I went into a 25man with 32k unbuffed and around 40k when buffed. No issues at all. Sounds like a healer problem. Also you do not need to Kite this boss. Me and the OT simply rotated the boss. When he spawned a flame patch under use we turn him 1/4 of a turn to get out of the fire. Very easy fight if people just get out of the fire.

Insahnity
09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I was wondering if people could answer some questions on Koralon. The intention of it is to see how to tackle Earth, Wind and Fire, but clearly Koralon is the hardest challenge simply because you need to bring him down with minimum damage intake so you aren't spent for the other 2, who are easy IF you have a break.

General
-Using resist gear (Fire Resist for Koralon, Nature resist for emalon). Bear in mind, this will likely be coming from TBC crafted/badge gear, a serious EH drop, and also assuming potential tanks are LWers who has access to appropriate 70 resist to wrists. I heard it did work for progession S3D. Targets are Fire for Koralon, and Nature for Emalon/Archavon
-Usefullness of exotic (generally pvp) abilities generally not taken normally in pve (acclimation for frost DKs, reduced spell damage talents, etc.)
-Raid composition constraints (limiting melee due to chain lightnings, etc.)

Warriors (because I don't have one VoA ready)
-Warrior T8.5 4 pc bonus vs EH from better gear
-Anything spell reflectable?? And can it hurt the boss for good dps?

DKs
-Average Healing for blood DKs, as it applies to how much external healing is required to keep up one (Incoming Dmg - Avoidance - Mitigated dmg -Self healed=???). Hoping somebody like Satorri can napkin-math something.
-Anybody with actual experience using skilled unholy DK(s) and well timed AMZ during breath attacks, and AMS for other times?

Kazie
09-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Had to watch it twice.. Aliena's voice was too sexy to focus ^^

Kazie

Pesko
09-28-2009, 12:22 AM
did it a week ago, me as OT in 41k hp MT on 50k and 2 suckass healers.. extremly easy -.-

Agree on Kazie's last comment though =D