PDA

View Full Version : Druid Tanking: Dodge/Def?

Kynlei
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi! I've been looking at a few different druid tanking sites to try to figure out the def cap, as well as whether dodge is necessary (rather than agil/stam). My original impression was Survival of the Fittest lowered the crit immunity cap to 415, but I've seen posts and heard from other people that it alone makes you crit immune, so additional def is not strictly necessary. Also, I've seen some people say that agility is better than dodge while others say that dodge is still necessary. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyn

dbodinem
09-01-2009, 02:24 PM
From what I've read, Survival of the Fittest does make you crit immune at 400 Defense.

While Dodge is good for a bear tank, I think stacking Agility would be better because not only does it contribute to Dodge but it also contributes to Crit and Attack Power which will help with Threat generation.

Would love to find info. that refutes or confirms that, but in my experience I have not even bothered stacking Dodge but do stack Agility.

adizs
09-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Sotf makes you crit immune. An equal level npc has 5% chance of critting you, this chance increases with 0.2% each level the npc is above you. Which means bosses have a 5.6% chance of critting you.

If you desperately need avoidance do what dbodinem says and go for some agi, dodge has diminshing returns and agi is boosted with BoK for example. But dont go crazy with agi gems. A small discussion of agi vs stamina can be found here: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/54420-gem-stam-agi.html.

I know that was not really what you were asking about. But it can give you some further insight in gemming your gear.

wafflecrew
09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
SotF does make you crit immune against bosses, agi is a better stat to gem/enchant for than dodge, however dodge is, iirc, a better stat to gem for than defense since it gives more dodge right out than defense. As a bear tank, dodge is your only real way to mitigate any damage besides the 'sheild' when you crit. Defense will give you a small amount of dodge, and is usually better to start gearing for once you hit ~50% dodge. Also the above link for gemming for stam vs agi is very useful since with more stam, you can take more hits, with more agi, you dodge more often making yourself less of a mana sponge on the healers. All in all, as said earlier, you need to run heroics to find this balance for you and what works best.

Kynlei
09-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Thank you all very much for your advice, it's a huge help!