PDA

View Full Version : When should you move to Blood?

Ronnon
08-31-2009, 12:19 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Llane&n=Beyondlight)

Ok so my brother (also my primary healer ;) ) has been pressuring me to switch to blood spec. I've read that blood is only truly effective once you get better gear.

Well I'm feeling like I might be ready but I wanted to bring it before the experts. Am I ready to spec blood? Is my gear good enough?

Also, please feel free to rate my gear, gems, and current spec (frost).

Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thanks! :)

deathdaddy
08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi

welcome to the wonderful word of DK tanking. Just a quick thing, what is the reasoning behind why your brothers has said you should be thinking about respecing to blood ?.

A quick glance at your armory as I'm currently at work, there are a few things that i would change in you current forst setup. You have 3 points in scent of blood and also 2 in chil of the grave, i think possible over kill one of the other. I would dump scent of blood and free up those 3 talents points.

You have a few enchants missing on your gear, also gold permitting I would replace the stam gems with +30 when you canm and farm TOC for the black heart and axe.

You have great experise rating, but watch that drop when you start replacing gear.

If you dont have any issues with frost at the minute, then why go through the pain of learning a new build and rotation.

If he is saying switch to blood for more hp and self heal, then may be there are some things in frost that you can do, Ie use stoneblood, indestructable potions, stam buff food. Make sure you run with a paly, priest and druid etc etc, and your be just a few k short of what a blood tanks hp would be.

Blood is king for self heal and single target, all though it can be used for aoe tanking, I found if you need to grab that agro back fast from multiple mobs in blood it can be quite difficult. As with frost a howling blast and a blood boil gets the mobs back pretty fast.

Again all depends on the raid you run with , will it be your job to single target tank boss all the time, i would think not.

At least in frost you can be versatile, single and multi, that just my personal take on it since 3.2.

DD

DD

Ronnon
08-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your reply DD!

I think his "reasoning" behind the switch was that he thought I would be easier to heal and keep up. Granted it's not terrible hard now. But both of us like to maximize our characters anyway we can.

Honestly I love Frost spec and would love to remain so for the rest of this characters life. But on the same hand, I'd also like to be the best tank I possibly can be. If that means dropping my current spec and picking up a new one then so be it.

What about my avoidance? Is it about right or do I need to re-gem a little and pick up some dodge/parry?

deathdaddy
09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Mate

sorry for the late reply, I didnt get an email saying you replied to the thread.

Dodge and parry will increase as you get better gear, I just been trying out DW frost, and have about 61% avoidence in DW. Been working good so far, and comments back from guild healers have been you are being healed less.

If you can gem some dodge/parry stam then give it a go. I used to have blood spec tank before 3.2 along with my forst. Would switch to blood tank on XT and iron council.

But since 3.2 I have tanked all the way to hodir in frost, may be dual spec and give it a go.

let us knwo how you get on

DD

Kurtosis
09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
My understanding is that Blood provides better Effective Health, Frost better AoE threat and better avoidance (through Frigid Dreadplate + DW 2x1h tanking weapons).

Blood's Veteran of the Third War increases your stamina by 3%, and both Rune Tap and Vampiric Blood scale better with more Stamina (which you can regem for at the expense of avoidance). If you find yourself getting hit too hard and coming too close to death in certain encounters as Frost, try Blood. Vampiric Blood followed by Rune Tap (Improved) = one of the best Oh Shit buttons I've experienced.

Imho it's worth dual speccing both Blood and Frost tank specs and switching b/t the two when you can in order to master both. It's challenging going from Frost's easy AoE threat gen to Blood's more single-target oriented style, which sometimes requires more warrior-like tab-strike spamming to maintain threat on multi-mob pulls. For new dk tanks who've never tanked as warrior (like me), it's worth getting accustomed to Blood in that respect before you need to, rather than after.

Esch
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Imho it's worth dual speccing both Blood and Frost tank specs and switching b/t the two when you can in order to master both. It's challenging going from Frost's easy AoE threat gen to Blood's more single-target oriented style, which sometimes requires more warrior-like tab-strike spamming to maintain threat on multi-mob pulls. For new dk tanks who've never tanked as warrior (like me), it's worth getting accustomed to Blood in that respect before you need to, rather than after.

This sums up 80% of Blood vs Frost, my current dual tank specs. I run Frost specifically for AoE situations, along with easy heroics. Blood is more focused, and I employ it against single/duo targets, such as bosses. For boss tanking, both are solid, though they function differently. Frost avoids/mitigates damage, while Blood takes larger hits and responds with various methods of healing constantly.

Note that either way, tank 2H. I have not seen a 'good' 1H tanking weapon as they are all itemized for warrior/paladin sword & board, while DKs need slower weapons to maximize weapon damage & threat.

The main advantage of Blood was all the health stacking, which took a massive hit in 3.2, so the difference is much smaller. Your brother may be thinking the change will give you a massive health increase, while the reality is it would be a small upgrade. I'm curious to hear why he's pressing Blood myself.

dhthomps
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
This sums up 80% of Blood vs Frost, my current dual tank specs. I run Frost specifically for AoE situations, along with easy heroics. Blood is more focused, and I employ it against single/duo targets, such as bosses. For boss tanking, both are solid, though they function differently. Frost avoids/mitigates damage, while Blood takes larger hits and responds with various methods of healing constantly.

Note that either way, tank 2H. I have not seen a 'good' 1H tanking weapon as they are all itemized for warrior/paladin sword & board, while DKs need slower weapons to maximize weapon damage & threat.

The main advantage of Blood was all the health stacking, which took a massive hit in 3.2, so the difference is much smaller. Your brother may be thinking the change will give you a massive health increase, while the reality is it would be a small upgrade. I'm curious to hear why he's pressing Blood myself.

Blood is "easier" to heal, do not take that to mean that you receive less damage. Healers will use far more mana on you than dual-wield frost - but they will have much more room for error (you can take more hits before dying). Additionally there is often the "feeling" of a blood tank being easier to heal because of his passive healing abilities (rune tap, death strike, etc). Unless you are doing Ulduar hard modes my honest advice is to stick with whatever spec you are best at, blood without correctly using abilites is no blood at all.