PDA

View Full Version : What do DK Tanks stack?

Orodereth
08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello, i am a DK tank and have searched wide and far for what stats are best to stack in, but haven found much help.
Do i stack defense for all around medigation?
Stack dodge?
Stack parry?
Stack stamina?
Stack strengh?
Stack agility?

I have 22.34 dodge. 17.46 parry. 30181 health. 889 strengh. 232 agility.

What should i do?

Also, for a DK tank what are the best gem choices?
for red?
for blue?
for yellow?

Any help would be muuch appretiated.

Theotherone
08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Strength and stamina

Blayd
08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Defense until you hit defense cap, then hit rating until you get hit cap, then expertise (try to aim for at least 214 expertise rating, or 26 expertise to reduce dodge by alot), then stamina and strength.

Blue: Always Stam.
Yellow: If you're not yet at defense cap, use yellow def gems or green def/stam gems. Otherwise, stam.
Red: Should put in one purple stam/dodge gem somewhere to let the typical tanking meta gem (+32 stam/2% armor) work, in all others stam. (However you can also put expertise or hit rating in red slots as well if you are lacking in threat)

tcdgais
08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
such a general question is very difficult to answer...well, without writing you a personalized DK tanking guide or re-re-re-re-hashing the avoidance vs. effective health debate (especially without an armory link to make specific suggestions/examples of your current decisions).

in a nutshell, you need to know how to prioritize as a tank. this means knowing your class (i.e. that strength contributes +parry to a DK like it doesnt for a warrior), knowing game mechanics (i.e. 26 expertise skill results in %6.50 percent reduction in melee attacks being dodged/parried...dodge cap), and knowing the encounter/instance (i.e. slow heavy hitting raid bosses, heroic five man AoE trash pulls, etc...).

if you can answer questions surrounding the topics i just listed above (oh, and btw there are many, many more), you will be able to identify the best choice for certain gear slots, enchants, gems, etc... based off of your own current situation.

sorry to seemingly one-up the generalizations, but if you want to eat...learn to fish.

Missgunst
09-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Don't gem Strength, since Parry is a wasted stat and the ATP of it is not really usefull. Most tanks will stack Stamina, since HP will always let you live a bit longer than anything else.
Defense wise you should only get Defgems if you are under the cap (540) otherwise only one gem (maybe dodge + sta, or Exp + sta, NOT parry + sta) for the Meta.
Aggro should be no problem on your gear level and is only a problem on some encounters at all (Hodir, Vezax). So geming for the expertise or Hit cap will be something I won't do. With starting gear you have amazing Hitrating so that should not be a problem.
If you really have problems with rating (<3-4%) you should always get some Snapper Extreme instead of gemming Hit.

I took Stamina over everything else since the beginning of Naxx and it always felt right.

Theotherone
09-01-2009, 04:34 AM
I disagree concerning strength. While I agree not to gem for parry, strength goes directly to attack power 2 -1, and you're not going to find a lot of tank gear with AP on it and this helps with threat and Rune Strike, a huge threat generator, procs off parry. I was always of the impression that one didn't gem for parry because we dk's gemmed for strength.

drako
09-01-2009, 07:49 AM
ok... its simple.....

DK tanks stack 1 thing and 1 thing only.... Stamina.....
of course there are a few variations such as if ur not defense capped or if ur avoidance isint where u want it to be then put a few gems/enchants into dodge....

Gems:
blue: 30 stam
red: dont need.... put in ^
yellow: ^
Meta: 32 stam and 2% armor value increase

deathwing
09-01-2009, 08:06 AM
^ completly true

Nejir
09-01-2009, 08:28 AM
I would like to correct drako...
We also stack dodge... so that changes things

Gems:
blue: 30 stam
red: 20 Dodge,
yellow: Hit (till ur like 6-7% (its to ur satisfaction)
Meta: 32 stam and 2% armor value increase

When u put hit/dodge gems, for the socket bonus please keep in mind that some of the bonus' are not worth getting, e.g 6stam (only get socket bonus on stuff like 9stam) :)

drako
09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
ehhh you really only need to stack dodge when your gear isint up to par... or ur not blood speced... cause i have no problem with my dodging+parrying and im neither gemed or enchanted (unless there isint anything better to use) for it... regardless.... yes that is a slight modification that changes from player to player

drako
09-01-2009, 08:36 AM
hope it helped!

Nejir
09-01-2009, 08:38 AM
imo having more dodge :() is fun since dk's take more dmg than other tank classes. so i have 28% dodge. when i had 26% my healers told me its hard to heal me sometimes. but they said it got much better when i hit 28% dodge

Orodereth
09-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice, Thank you for the input all.

The reason i made the question so general was because when i was helping my pali friend get tanking knowledge a convenient pali yanking guide had all a very comprehensive way of telling what stats were important, what to get and to what number, and stuff of that nature (elitist jerks post). I could not find a DK tanking guide, and i assumed it was an easy answer as the paladin tanking guide was. Ty for all of your though again, seems like stam and dodge then?