PDA

View Full Version : am i going in the right direction?

alpha_32
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
first of all here's my armory

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&n=fawx)

i've only been tanking for about 2 weeks...been holy up until now...i just want to make sure i'm not totally failing up with how i'm gemming and picking my tank gear. recently i've gotten kicked from heroic groups and 25 naxx for having "terrible gear" and "low hp"...so a critique of my gear/spec would be greatly appreciated

Irat
08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Alpha,

There is nothing in your gear that looks majorly wrong, and defiantly nothing you should have been kicked from Naxx or heroics for. A couple of pointers though.

I would probably change the meta to the +% armor one, i think you will find it useful in more situations.

You don’t have a shoulder enchant atm. If you don’t have the rep for the hodir one, pick up the PvP enchant. Stam/Resil its a better EH enchant anyway.

No enchant on the bracers. 40stam is a obvious choice.

Finally i would probably go after the socket bonus in the chest if i was you. If you drop a 10Agil/15Stam gem in there you are losing 6stam but gaining 10agility.

Apart from that i would probably work at upgrading all your gems, that should see a decent improvement for you.

Irat.

alpha_32
08-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reponse...I've been stacking stam gems because alot of people give me shit for not having 30k hp and it doesn't even seem to matter that my avoidance and shieldblock are pretty damn good and I take very little damage.

I've been meaning to pick up the pvp shoulder enchant but t seems like every time I check WG we don't have control of it lol

again thanks I'll definatly regem my chest and helm

Vindicatar
08-30-2009, 09:03 PM
WTH!? do not put an agi/stam gem in there. if u wanna use a purple gem as a tank, go for a regal dreadstone, 10dodge/15stam

Irat
08-30-2009, 10:49 PM
The agility Vs dodge debate changed with 3.2

Agility or Dodge is a personal choice still. There isn’t a ground breaking argument for dodge over agility any more.

Basically Agility gives you 83% of the avoidance that Dodge does before diminishing returns. Diminishing returns is the key point. The more dodge you already have the greater the value of gemming agility over dodge because you also get Armor and crit and it all scales with Kings.

So Vindicatar if you have an argument for the other way round, post it for me.

Jameak
08-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Quite frankly, if your gemming for agillity as a tank, your losing something else.

Theres room for improvement in some of your gear. The meta gem on the helm should certainly should go, the armor is much more valuable to a tank, and you should at the very least work on your sons of hodir rep to at least honoured (very easy to get through the quest line) for the first of the shoulder enchants.

Get rid of that dps trinket and try for the ToC normal one. It's crazy for either of you to be using that.

To be honest, I don't know why you would be rejected unless the people you are running with are not confident in your abillities, or they have someone they know thats "better" and "not fail" because they are overgeared for the content. Raid buffed with a flask you should be about 35k which is more than enough for 10/25 naxx, and self buffed you should be fine for heroics. Id say its just prejudice. Start your own groups and see how you go, or get into a guild that runs/pugs them?

I would think that threat might be an issue if your with a very geared group, but that shouldnt stop you getting in, it just means dps will just have to use their brains a bit more.

alpha_32
08-31-2009, 02:03 AM
Yeah I've been running reg toc farm groups almost daily for over a week and havt seen the trinket drop yet -_-

Synapse
08-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Yeah I've been running reg toc farm groups almost daily for over a week and havt seen the trinket drop yet -_-

YOu can clear regular instances multiple times. I think the limit is at 5/hour

Blayd
08-31-2009, 04:22 AM
YOu can clear regular instances multiple times. I think the limit is at 5/hour

Like a limit matters, the starting dialogue takes up 20 minutes anyway. >>

alpha_32
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah...when isay farm groups I mean 10+runs per day

Irat
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I know there was a good write up on Dodge Vs Agility.

Agility is 97.6% as good as dodge (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?p=486581#p486581)

Jameak
09-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Alpha_32:

Taking into account your current gear and progression level, I would recommend you work towards something resembling the following:

chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner (http://www.chardev.org/?template=248834)

I have added in some gear that you can easily obtain. Basically:

Helmet: Tier 8.5, Conq. badges.
Trinket: The Black Heart, ToC Normal (see tip below)
Shoulder Enchant: Sons of Hodir Honoured (Obtainable by doing the quest line, takes about 2 hours, nets a good amount of gold as well.)
Bracer/Glove sockets: 400 blacksmith skill. If your serious about tanking, you should look at your tradeskills. For an additional 60 sta you can pickup mining as well.
Ring: Titanium Earthguard Ring, crafted from a JC. The socket makes it very powerful and its easy to obtain one.

A tip to get through ToC normal fast is to start the event up with only you in the instance, once they have cheered for you, get your group in, that way you dont have to sit through the npc's cheering another four times. With a decent group you can get these runs down to 10 minutes each.

Please take note of talent changes. I am unsure of your current desired role in a raid, as if your MT primarily, your spec will change a bit due to raid mechanics. It looks like you would make an ideal offtank as you have taken divine sacrifice. You should only get 1/2 improved judgements in the retribution tree, as any more will adversly affect your optimal 969 rotation. I have also advised you get the seals of the pure talent in the holy tree for the extra threat it brings. I have tried not to gimp your talents for 5 mans too much, as most good raid specs depend on the fact you are getting all the heals and therefore you stay full mana, however, in 5 mans, these specs may require you to use seal of wisdom or you will go oom as you dont take enough damage and therefore dont get as much healing to get your mana back.

Take note of gem changes as well.

Your summary result is as follows (bracket indicates old score):
Defense 541 (541)
Attack Power: 2424 (2394)
Crit: 13.37 (14.19)
Dodge: 23.28 (20.14)
Block: 15.76 (13.14)
Parry: 18.94 (20.25)
HP: 32214 (29124)

It should be apparent that you may have to invest some time into tradeskills or questing to get where you could be, none of which is expensive and should pay for itself (if not make you more money than when you started), if your willing to put in the time :)

Best of luck to you mate!