PDA

View Full Version : Help! I cant seem to hold aggro on warrior on more than 1 target.....

druofbadmojo
08-27-2009, 06:41 AM
I am having a hard time with holding aggro on multiple targets.... is there a good rotation for prot warrior tanks? If so can someone plz help? I know paladins are good but I love my warrior I just cant seem to hold multiple aggro... especially with more than 1 warloc..... :(

Yom
08-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Could you give some details about what you do right now? Hard to help figure out what you're doing wrong without knowing what you're doing.

Fizzbang
08-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I am having a hard time with holding aggro on multiple targets.... is there a good rotation for prot warrior tanks? If so can someone plz help? I know paladins are good but I love my warrior I just cant seem to hold multiple aggro... especially with more than 1 warloc..... :(

Multi-target aggro is the hardest part of being a warrior-tank, but it's not impossible. When you charge in, be sure to start with Thunder Clap, then quickly position yourself so a Shockwave can hit all of your targets. That'll give you a good start on holding aggro, and you can use Cleave (with the Cleave glyph!) to keep building aggro on three enemies at once.

After that, it's a matter of tabbing around to make sure you aren't losing anyone, cycling Shockwave and Thunder Clap when they're up, and making sure your allies are focusing on the same targets you're focusing on. With a little practice, you should have no problem unless you've got an ally who's doing massive dps (in which case, put your Vigilance on him!)

dirt
08-27-2009, 08:10 AM
As you and those you run with get better gear, it does become more challenging to hold aggro especially over zealous dps like locks & mages.
Someone already mentioned Vigilance, that's a good tool in your bag to use. The people in your group need to understand you need a few seconds to gain aggro, otherwise they can easily pull off of you.

I like to charge into the pack(when appropriate), TC, then Cleave. I also find it good practice to spin around(facing your group) then SW. That way you can keep and eye on any mobs that break off and run to your group and taunt back. With the current setup in WoW, especially in 5mans, alot of people don't care if you mark or not, and others seem to have forgotten what focus firing is. I admit in the groups I run with I don't always mark, but I run with the same people alot so they have a pretty good idea of who needs to die first most of the time. But, it can really help if you atleast mark Skull and have them focus on that target.

AoE tanking for warriors is not hard, but it is more challenging for us than say Pallys. So the little things can make your job much, much easier.

Warloco
08-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Multi-target aggro is the hardest part of being a warrior-tank, but it's not impossible. When you charge in, be sure to start with Thunder Clap, then quickly position yourself so a Shockwave can hit all of your targets. That'll give you a good start on holding aggro, and you can use Cleave (with the Cleave glyph!) to keep building aggro on three enemies at once.

After that, it's a matter of tabbing around to make sure you aren't losing anyone, cycling Shockwave and Thunder Clap when they're up, and making sure your allies are focusing on the same targets you're focusing on. With a little practice, you should have no problem unless you've got an ally who's doing massive dps (in which case, put your Vigilance on him!)

As this person suggest, swapping targets. Make sure to keep Thunderclap on cooldown, and cleave a lot. Have name plates enabled and keep in mind: Those with the least health have taken the most damage, and probably are the closest to being over aggro'd- so shield slam/revenge where needed.

My own warrior is an engineer, and while I barely ever need to- if I do have problems with aoe threat I tend to drop a grenade aswell. But yeah, thats really engineering only.

Mordigen
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Pretty much a recap of what everyone has mentioned but if you are having issues, marking is a good idea, vigilance on any aoe dpser or heavy dpser that might pull then I usually heroic throw on the second or third target in order, then immediately follow it with a charge on skull if you are fast at switching targets, if not probably skip the throw, follow that with a thunderclap, I also spin around and get behind the mobs facing the group and shockwave, then I usually toss a few devastates up on skull, use thunderclap and shockwave when they are up, and cleave when you have the rage or tab devastate. I also keep name tags up and watch the health, but if people are following targets that should not be an issue. If you want another little help get the glyph that adds sunders to additional tagets to get a little threat on them as well. It is just getting into a good routine that you can run well over and over and have good control with. Once you get that down, aoe tanking is still a challenge but it is definitely doable.

Satorri
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
(also, despite the many responses, this belongs in the Halp! forum (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/), please do pay attention to the rules of posting (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/46395-posting-chat-rules-read-me-before-posting.html))

jimbabwe
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I completely agree with what everyone has said here. I generally charge, TC, SW. All the while cleaving as often as possible and mixing in SS and devastate on the mobs with lowest threat. I also use vigilance on the highest TPS character.

I've found that even just marking one mob with a skull helps a lot as it's almost instinct for people to target that first. I'm not sure if you're using omen or diamond threat meter, but if you have those set up for tanking (at least on diamond) the mobs threat list includes their mark making it a lot easier to tell which mob you're having threat problems on.

Risky
08-27-2009, 01:37 PM
If you want to spec yourself one spec for trash/aoe/threat, and one spec for full mitigation, it's helpful. that's what i do.
using 15/5/51 and glyph of dev + cleave, i generally have no problems solo tanking large aoe packs.

charge=>tclap+cleave => sblock + cleave => (dev + cleave)x2 => repeat.

also helps to ditch your wimpy tanking wep and get something with at least a 550 topend.

Arca
08-30-2009, 06:09 PM
i'm glyphed for cleave and devastate, but normally i shield block as i charge in, then TC > SS > deva > cleave/tab/deva and use S&B procs to boost my aggro on the lower threat targets. usually use ShockWave after Shield block drops off or if i see a mob start heading for the squishies to hold them in place while i bump up the threat on that target

Tankasaurus1337
08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Another little thing I do to help keep aggro is if I have a melee dps that pulls a high amount of threat, (even if its a little lower than say the lock)
I do it simply because melee dps can easily pull aggro since they are in the short distance of the target, and even better, when the target switches to attack them, it hit's right away, and doesn't 1 shot them, so it automatically refreshes your taunt.
DK's are my usual vigilance target.
And additionally, if doing a raid, you can vigilance your OT, giving them decreased damage, and you infinite taunts. ;D

Jameak
08-31-2009, 12:12 AM
And additionally, if doing a raid, you can vigilance your OT, giving them decreased damage, and you infinite taunts. ;D

Just be mindful that they also then receive 10% less threat while vigilance is active, only do this if it wont impact their abillity to hold threat (ie. green tank with poor gear etc).

I usually vigilance the warlock, they are threat machines with less aggro dumps than the other classes and in my experience are the first to pull threat, especially in mobillity fights where they can stack dots and you have limited uptime on the mob to generate threat (Heigan), or, theres a condition where you are not able to melee but they can still cast (Malygos).

Also get into a habit of marking your primary target with a skull, always. Train your groups to target the skull and you should see a significant reduction in them pulling aggro. When the current mob is about to die, swap targets, chuck up a skull, and keep going, that way theres no confusion about what they can safely blow up.

In AoE situations, I can pretty much guarantee its because someone dropped a few single target abillities on a mob thats not your primary target in amongst their AoE, and peeled it off you that way.

Communication with the dps makes all the difference, I now have dps (who I run frequently with) who do accidently peel things off me, tell me they are sorry over vent because they knew they were targeting the wrong thing. Mind you, a snap taunt saves their day, but they have been trained enough now to know why it happened and what they were meant to be doing to prevent it :)