PDA

View Full Version : Threat Issues recently

Tamahanu
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM
No problems during boss fights but trash has been trickier in 10 mans and heroics.

I ususally Charge in SS, TC, SW, TC, apply Devastates, and TC/SW/SS/Revenge anytime its available.

I am main spec fury, but often tanking more than ever in 3.2 for my guild.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thank you,
US|BurningLegion|Horde|Tamahanu (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Burning+Legion&cn=Tamahanu&gn=Hellbent)

Slayerscythe
08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
First of all if im not mistaken stune effect on mobb reduces aggro made on it when attacked, so take that into consideration, if its dps pepl dischargin som aoe just after you charged.Second thing is when thers no stun, i pop shield block to get extra rage and spam cleave.Ofc SS is a heavy aggro thing so i alt tab to see if someone is gainin on me and ss that target.Vigilance on mages and other aoe clases help ofc, and im keping CB if thers som mob goin to get lose, taunt if they run etc.
Thats more for 5 mans, now 10 mans well wars are not aoe tanks.For example at freya trash thers a pack with em flowers, 1 big rest small, me war is always taunting the big one, while other tank pally gets them loads of small ones.T-clap/cleave/SW just wont do it with 4K pepl aoe, not on so many targets, so its class, warr cant match pally on aoe, but wars do excel on 1 target aggro.
I gliphed for +5% aggro from vigilance and it does helps but not that much.
And last thing i use HS and cleave quite often, based on situation, to make it easyr i bound it to mouse wheel so i dont break my fingers
Thats just my opinion, corect me if im wrong

Tamahanu
08-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you for your input. I normally don't HS until I've established aggro on the targets where i can just sit and dump rage. I usually put vigilance on the target with the highest DPS who could typically pull threat if attacking the unmarked target or decides to AOE.

Since pre-bc, i've had to let people know that i like to charge in (for rage) and at least wait for me to get a TC over before dpsing. I dont feel like i should always have to remind players that since they outta know I have no AOE to lay down. TC is a one hit deal until i can refresh it on the targets again. That's probably my biggest issue right now. So many ilvl226/245 wearers gunning on mobs in 10mans and even 25 mans where warriors at the moment do not have an effective AOE that can continue to collect mobs. I'd like to figure a way to increase my TC dmg as well. (currently have 75 conquest badges unspent)

Would you suggest spec'ing imp. cleave? shock wave glyph? The trash is always downed, but at times i have to go beyond the call of duty to keep threat on mobs.

Also, anything in my gear that looks out of the ordinary for what i am doing or recommendations?

Toblerone
08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't think you need to spec for Imp Cleave, however I'd definitely recommend throwing more cleaves around when tanking trash/heroics. Also the Glyph of Cleaving is quite nice when tanking trash if you don't mind swapping glyphs around.

Another thing I'd recommend is a 15/3/53 or 15/5/51 spec. Either spec will provide more threat than having 5/5 in Cruelty. Also Thunderclap/Cleave etc can trigger Deep Wounds for that little bit extra aoe threat.

Tamahanu
08-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Can you please input a direct link to those builds Tob?

Also, I am reading a lot that parry isn't a very good stat for warriors, never to gem for it, etc., is this true? Also, is 263 the hit cap for us as it is for dps classes?

I do mix in cleaves, tc, and i had a deep wounds build before i had the one i have now, but it was such a small dps increase that i figured having more crit would benefit threat development rather than that small bleed tick.

Sythas
08-25-2009, 12:52 AM
I used the 15/5/51 build for deep wounds and don't really have problem with trash. Uld25 you should have off tanks and crowd control so you don't have 5 mobs hitting you.

If naxx25 is the issue all I can really say is,

Charge , TC , SW. You've built aggro so aoe can begin so its case of moving through each mob while keeping cleave up using your heavy aggro abilities SS or Rev. With threat meter and tabbing through mobs you can see which ones people are going to over aggro so just focus on that one before you can move on to the next mob. I would advise TC and SW only on aoe trash pulls when off CD unless you see someone about to overaggro!

I often find glyph for vigilance also helps, mages are always good.

Using this technique I can generate enough threat to solo tank naxx25. I wouldn't uld25 simply because some of the trash hits hard.

Slayerscythe
08-25-2009, 03:53 AM
One more thing.
What can make a difference is if you tell your dps to wait for 5 or 6 sec after you charged, in raids that is.You get a decent aggro advantage at that point and have no worries regarding aggro.
Do max aoe in that time and you should be ok.
My exp s that im just takin what i can during loads of trash and lett paly or any other aoe tank class take em, i aggro 1 or 2 to keep me filled with rage and keep eye out for runers, get t-clap on mobs,sw etc, like basic suport, we mostly do things so your class is used where it excels so no point in puting war on things that need aoe tankin.

Naddoddr
08-25-2009, 04:57 AM
I find in terms of Aggro, what always works for me is as follows:

Glyph of Sunder Armor, Glyph of Devastate, Glyph of Vigilance

Charge in, TC, SW, Devastate [Tab] < I do this last bit till I have TC CD come up, then hit TC again, continue Devastate, SW, and normally within a few seconds and a few cooldowns, you will have gained sufficient aggro on all the mobs, and once your gear level improves, you'll start to find that even Prot paladins will have a hard time keeping threat from you =P

This, again, is what works for me, but may not as well for you, just merely passing on what I have found out during my times around

Fayre
08-25-2009, 05:57 AM
In heroics, what I find works best is to always be ahead of your group. If you stun the last mob of a pack and then go off and charge the next one, the chances are that it'll give you those vital few seconds of threat lead that make all the difference. The mobs in heroics don't last long with current DPS, so it's really only a matter of holding aggro for a few seconds. Just be aware that you need an awake healer for this to work ;)

brawl
08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Is Glyph of Sunder really that good? I thought most of the threat came from the damage that Devastate gives, not the effect and I believe the glyph only passes on the effect to the additional target.

I switched my threat glyphs out to Vigilance, Cleave and Devastate ( and I've been back and forth between Vigilance and Shockwave glyphs )

Tamahanu
08-26-2009, 02:12 AM
I find in terms of Aggro, what always works for me is as follows:

Glyph of Sunder Armor, Glyph of Devastate, Glyph of Vigilance

Charge in, TC, SW, Devastate [Tab] < I do this last bit till I have TC CD come up, then hit TC again, continue Devastate, SW, and normally within a few seconds and a few cooldowns, you will have gained sufficient aggro on all the mobs, and once your gear level improves, you'll start to find that even Prot paladins will have a hard time keeping threat from you =P

This, again, is what works for me, but may not as well for you, just merely passing on what I have found out during my times around

I had sunder and devastate as well as blocking before as glyphs. I felt that a lower CD on Shieldwall would give healers a break on longer boss fights with a 2min CD. Vigilance was something I never had until 3.2 when threat became an issue. The sad thing is that even when it is on a party member w/ the 5% bonus, if he attacking a mob way in the back, he'll still pull threat instead it being transferred to me which I still find that the glyph just not be worth it. I try to use CB on targets way in the back but it's reach yardage sucks at the moment. :o

I never had any issues before 3.2 with threat until everyones gear went from ilvl200-213 to 226-245 where everyone is hitting harder and forgot the basis principles that a tank is supposed to grab aggro but thats really nothing new.

To side track a moment, raiding isn't exactly what it used to be. Nobody CC's. Everything is rushed and on some kind of agenda because they need to get this and that done to get those Conquest badges.

About my rotation, I will try to go back to the basics with this one, TC, SW as aoe, and devastate/revenge/Shieldslam on single targets. I would really like to imp. my shield slam damage but not 100% sure as to how to do it with my gear at the moment.

Are their certain vendor items w/ conquest emblems that may improve that or Uld 10 drops I should be focusing on?

By the way, thank you in advance for all the replies as this is my first time posting on TankSpot and I thoroughly enjoy reading every response and feedback. :D

Tamahanu
08-26-2009, 02:13 AM
In heroics, what I find works best is to always be ahead of your group. If you stun the last mob of a pack and then go off and charge the next one, the chances are that it'll give you those vital few seconds of threat lead that make all the difference. The mobs in heroics don't last long with current DPS, so it's really only a matter of holding aggro for a few seconds. Just be aware that you need an awake healer for this to work ;)

I will definitely try this, as I usually when I have 100% threat and a low % life left on the last mob, I usually look for more to grab before the group reacts to what I just rushed into.

Tamahanu
08-26-2009, 02:14 AM
I used the 15/5/51 build for deep wounds and don't really have problem with trash. Uld25 you should have off tanks and crowd control so you don't have 5 mobs hitting you.

If naxx25 is the issue all I can really say is,

Charge , TC , SW. You've built aggro so aoe can begin so its case of moving through each mob while keeping cleave up using your heavy aggro abilities SS or Rev. With threat meter and tabbing through mobs you can see which ones people are going to over aggro so just focus on that one before you can move on to the next mob. I would advise TC and SW only on aoe trash pulls when off CD unless you see someone about to overaggro!

I often find glyph for vigilance also helps, mages are always good.

Using this technique I can generate enough threat to solo tank naxx25. I wouldn't uld25 simply because some of the trash hits hard.

Which threat meter is best used? Is Omen working again? I had issues with the last release.

Tamahanu
08-26-2009, 02:20 AM
One more thing.
What can make a difference is if you tell your dps to wait for 5 or 6 sec after you charged, in raids that is.You get a decent aggro advantage at that point and have no worries regarding aggro.
Do max aoe in that time and you should be ok.
My exp s that im just takin what i can during loads of trash and lett paly or any other aoe tank class take em, i aggro 1 or 2 to keep me filled with rage and keep eye out for runers, get t-clap on mobs,sw etc, like basic suport, we mostly do things so your class is used where it excels so no point in puting war on things that need aoe tankin.

Well you are absolutely right with our roles as Warriors, anytime I am with an AOE tank (pally/DK) i usually take on the biggest mob out of the pack so i can be at full rage and let the DK/Pally take aggro on all the smaller mobs with their AOE (consecrate/DnD)