PDA

View Full Version : DW Tank, Advise?

Channing
08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Well it's about time I asked the tanks at large their opinion on this.
I was originally a 2h frost tank, but it just seemed to be missing something after 3.2. So I re-speced 2h blood and fell in love. Though I got bored.
Then I saw a DW frost tank do it well, so I tried it out. Was love at first pull.

Normally I run a HB > BB > OB > BB rotation on trash. HBing and BBing as they are available.
Bosses I just use BS + OB with HB procs as they come.

The only healers that really complain are holy priests taht OOM to easily, and one resto shammy. I've noticed no BIG difference in 2h Blood and DW Frost. The lack of self heals makes itself up in more avoidance and mitigation. TPS is roughly the same. Less single target, more AoE, ect. So it all works out.

Anyway here it is, advise is godsent:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Agamaggan&n=Deathchan)

Gumurak
08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
So how are you stopping from being parry gibbed to death with the lack of expertise? This would probably explain the healers that are complaining. No one stated that DW tanking can't be done. It's just no economical on your healers.

Channing
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
The three* times I've had healers complain were:
H:UP on trash pulls. Resto Shammy. He complained he had to heal more than other tanks. On boss fights there was no problem what-so-ever.
H:HoL: Holy Priest stood in AoE, blamed it on me for whatever reason.
H:ToC: I tanked this several times in my Blood spec (Which is currently MIA because of Pvp spec) and had no problems. For whatever reason the healer could just not keep either spec up. I typically go blood if the healer is lacking in keeping me up, but he was full epiced and still I managed to die, popping ever Cool down available. It aws a nasty warrior/rogue/hunter combo too. Healer got annoyed and left saying: DKs can't tank. We replaced with a druid with epics/blues and didn't wipe at all.

Edit:
I think parry gib is a bit over stated. I would prolly never take this spec into Ulduar, but for trash, heroics, and 10 mans that are far behind my gear it's a nice easy laid back spec.

Kurtosis
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
DW appears to be viable (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/54264-deathknight-dw-tanking-discussion.html), according to people who have tested it (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/53950-3-2-dk-specs-2.html). Removal of crushing blows probably had something to do with that, along with the fact that you can get better avoidance from two 1H tank weapons w/ Swordbreaking x2 than from one 2H dps weapon w/ SSG x1. Whether it's better than 2H is arguable, though.

Swam
08-25-2009, 12:32 AM
There are a few wtf things in your spec
1) no death chill
2) no unbreakable armor
Frost tanks get shit tons of threat from howling blast, garunteed crit on that is very helpfull
unbreakable armor is 20% dmg reduction. why do you not have one of your main 3 cooldowns!
rotation wise I go by priorities
dnd-diseases-pest-(dc)hb-rune strike-bb-obl-fs-bs
basically i work my way down the line, if something higher in the line is open I use that.
your 3 best friends as a frost tank threat wise -rune strike -dnd -howling blast
and healers wont complain as much with that extra cd