PDA

View Full Version : Tank newbie.. Gear? Rotation?

darkarth
08-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi.. I am new to tanking and pretty much only ran 5man raids. I want to get to the next lvl. I have been MIA since February 09 so my gear and knowledge are dated. I respecced frost and hope I did an ok for a frost tank.

So my question is.. post 3.2 what should I be looking for as of gear and rotation and stats?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eitrigg&n=Darkarth)

No need for an elaborate guide .. just your opinions and help on reaching the magic 540 def #?

Myrddraak
08-24-2009, 12:37 PM
For starters i would run reg hol for the def trinket that drops. Then i would look at a gear list that flood the forums just google search for a tank gear list for heroics and run those instances until you can get them. i would buy all of conq gear as fast as possible and start with the neck. There are alot of upgrades you can get while running heroics look up that list and you should hit 540 easily
For your spec i would move the 2 points out of Scent of blood and put them into runic power mastery. You already have the frost talents for rp so you should have plenty. I would also use a single disease rotation which means you need the howling blast glyph and i would replace the death grip glyph with the ob glyph. If you go with the single disease rotation i would take the point out of epidemic and put it into virulence (since you are under the hit cap by alot) and i would also take the 2 points out of 2h weapon spec and put them into virulence because if your not hitting them than your not generating threat.

Myrddraak
08-24-2009, 12:41 PM
And for a single disease rotation it would look something like
HB,OB,bs,bs,OB,OB,OB. You want to make sure to keep your disease up by using howling blast every time it is off cd and make sure to use it when you get a rime proc. Also keep macro runestrike into every ability.
Hope you enjoy tanking

Musclebound
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Get revered with Wyrmrest Accord if you aren't already. The quartermaster sells a tanking chest, cloak and boots that will last you probably until naxx. I didn't replace the chest piece until i got my tier 7.5 chest.

Kurtosis
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Get revered with Wyrmrest Accord if you aren't already. The quartermaster sells a tanking chest, cloak and boots that will last you probably until naxx. I didn't replace the chest piece until i got my tier 7.5 chest.
/second. both the Wyrmrest chest and cloak were the last blues I replaced with epics, not counting Essence of Gossamer.

To OP, you'll find the Tankspot Guides (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/41670-tankspot-s-official-guides-articles-listing.html) invaluable, especially Cider's Easy 540 defense guide (540 defense required to tank heroics).

darkarth
08-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks.. Once I make some changes I will love to have ya re-evaluate.. thanks for the links btw :)

darkarth
09-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Hi all.. after some weeks of hard work and crunching.. i think im on my way.. about the get the conq helm.. but so far im at 560 def and upped a bit with [Sigil of the Unfaltering Knight].. not sure if its over kill.. I am a frost tank.. but now i am having issues holding aggro.. what rotation would be best?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eitrigg&n=Darkarth)

I am doing heroics now.. and running ok.. but have issues control multiple mobs..

Any advice.. goal is to be a good DK tank.. :)

Myrddraak
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
For your rotation i would use the one posted above. For multiple mobs your rotation should be. DnD,HB,BB. After that use HB whenever its off cd and use BB instead of BS for your blood runes.
For your spec. I would take the 2 points from epidemic and finish out bladed armor. You don't need elongated diseases because you should be using HB to refresh them as often as possible. Also i have never been a fan of scent of blood (while alot of other dk tanks are) so if i were you i would take those 3 points and put them in to Ravenous Dead, but if you find yourself low on rp then keep scent of blood.
For gear you could take off the seal of the pantheon (i think) and be able to pick up the black heart from reg toc and still be uncrittable.

darkarth
09-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Death and Decay, Howling blast, BB?? (no clue whats that)

I dont know what BB is abreviation for

ahhah! Blood boil!? figured it out lol.. such a noob