PDA

View Full Version : MT and feel like im getting hit to hard

Jeza
08-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Ok, I mt my guild and were atm doing Uld10 keppers and starting uld25. Also clearing some of toc10.Currently i stand at like(I have many tanking epics but by useing rawr this is what was given to be the best useing what i have) -
Hp: 33.5k (Unbuffed)
Armor: 25083(62.22%)
Dodge: 24.56%
parry:19.87%
Block:22.21%
BlockValue: 1384 dmg
Defense:536(673 rating = 5.44% Crit Reduc) but i got 15 resil enchant on shoulders.
Armory link : The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dreadmaul&n=Knightfour)
With my current spec i keep thunder/Demo/Challenging up
(Sorry havent got 1 of those wws sheets, my gm used to have it going but im not entiery sure how to)
Basicly i guess my questions are
What stat should i be trying to increase atm?
Have i gemed terra bad?
Am i Undergeared for what im tanking cause i feel when the OT tanks he dosent seem to drop as much as me(Its a pally but)?
do i trust rawr :S?
Only other info i got is today on Gormok the Impaler(Toc10m) he was hitting me around 10k-11k, maybe 9k if i blocked.

Plz tell me if all this info is in a page on the site or soemthing that i have missed, i was browsing all tonight and found alot of outdated stuff, if theres like a page with updated gear ranking list plz link it for me, and all that dodge parry diminishing threads confused me and yer...headaches

Griff
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
You're probably getting hit like a truck because your defense is at 536 and you're eating crits.

Put 20 defense on your shield instead of +18 stamina and you can drop some of those defense/stam hybrid gems in favor of health. It'll solve your defense problems and increase your health pool at the same time.

That dodge trinket is sub-par too. The defense trink from Naxx25 is nice and gives you a little glimmer of hope button for when the chips are down.

Jeza
08-20-2009, 10:10 AM
so the whole resilience giving me 0.16% and defence 5.44 dosent give me cap or.....

Flee
08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I would personally replace the 18 stam enchant to shield with the enchant of defense. I'm not home to calculate it but it should be enough to get you defense capped. I'm sure thats probably a good portion of your dmg taken.

Jeza
08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Aight then. Being properly def capped is my current gear alright for the raids i mentioned above? or is there still changes to be made

Ateve
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
You're probably getting hit like a truck because your defense is at 536 and you're eating crits.

Ummm, He has resil to make himself uncrittable, so he's not eating crits.

That dodge trinket is sub-par too. The defense trink from Naxx25 is nice and gives you a little glimmer of hope button for when the chips are down.

This is true, the dodge trink isn't that good. I wouldn't bother with the def trink(thats actually from naxx10 not 25) but the armor trink from Naxx25 is really good and much better than Valor Medal, and really Essence of Gossamar would help you more in Uld25 than dodge as well.

When using Rawr make sure you have it set up properly for the content you're gearing for. It defaults to naxx25 I believe, making it think you have enough health and therefore suggesting you use more avoidance. It also doesn't model burst dmg at all (which uld is all about) so it tends to undervalue stam and overvalue avoidance.

What you are really low on is Expertise. This is why you are so squishy. In Rawr make should you check the parry-haste box in the options tab. Low expertise means lots of parry-haste and more incoming dmg.

I'd replace all your dod/stam gems with exp/stam gems. Also you should enchant for def instead of gemming for it. If you enchant your chest/shield for def and replace some def/stam gems with straight stam you'll end up with similar def value and more hp.

Only other thing I can think of is you're specced for survival but without Imp Disciplines or glyphing for cds. TBH I don't know if this is good or bad, just not something I normally see.

Jeza
08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
mm ic ty
I was thinking of then useing Boundless Ambition - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40387) instead then and just gem the rest.
Ill go stuf aroudn with rawr to

Azuae
08-20-2009, 10:39 AM
gonna suggest you buy the badge ring Signet of the Impregnable fortress. The extra defense will let you swap out some gems to pure stam. This will also give you an expertise boost.

also as suggested - swap to a defense chant on your shield. 18stam is a relic from BC.

Jeza
08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Mmm, i Have that ring, should i use it and just not enchant or gem defence?
*edit* Rawrs stupid and anoying, just goona figure it out and link what i end up with

*edit again* Ok iv finished and iv ended up with
def cap with resil
Cap exp with buff food
few points off cap hit
35k hp unbuffed
still a good amount of avoidence ithink
Cheak it out and tell me if im going in circles The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dreadmaul&n=Knightfour)

Insahnity
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
First off, the defense trinket is from nax 10, not nax 25. It's a bad trinket, used for very specific purposes (keeping Def Capped while wearing Resist Gear).

While you are technically crit immune through resilience, it is a very bad way to do so. In addition to pushing crits off the table, defense also increases your dodge/parry/block, which resilience does not. You may keep the pvp patch for the 30 stam, but as far as you are concerned, the 15 resilience is wasted itemization.

In addition to increasing your defense, 20 def to shield is also a better "itemization" usage, since 18 stam was from TBC when gear budgets were lower, and 20 defence is in WOTLK budgets. The analogy would be to compare a Solid Star of Elune (12 stam) from TBC to a Thick Autumn's Glow (16 Defense). For the stamina to be worth it in this analogy, you would need 24 stam (like you would have received from a Solid Sky Saphire).

As for gemming/enchanting for defense, do so if you are under 540, and going a little over 540 is not a bad thing. However, if you are at 540 defense and have sockets open, I would look at other stats, primarily stam, but you must consider ALL stats (Defense, Stamina, Expertise, Hit Rating, Dodge, Parry, etc.). Also, if you are at way over 540 with defense GEMS, replace gems. I would advise against replacing defense enchants, there are only 3 spots and the alternatives are not huge changes (as compared to changing out defense gems in place of stamina).

TomBrokeOff
08-20-2009, 11:42 AM
fairly simple.

if you feel as though you are getting hit too hard, Stop gemming for TPS and start gemming for Stam, and avoidance.

your total avoidance should be adressed with

Change those Hit stam DEFENSE STAM

and those expertise stam to dodge stam.

Ateve
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
fairly simple.

if you feel as though you are getting hit too hard, Stop gemming for TPS and start gemming for Stam, and avoidance.

your total avoidance should be adressed with

Change those Hit stam DEFENSE STAM

and those expertise stam to dodge stam.

The expertise gems are for avoiding parryhaste, they will reduce the dmg taken as much as dodge will (or at least means less burst dmg). Keep them.

The hit gems however aren't needed. They should be def/stam. Don't be afraid of having more def than is needed for crit immune. It still gives you avoidance and will make you live longer.

The 30stam/15resil shoulders are really good from a survivablity standpoint (EH). You use them for the stam. If you decided to do this there is nothing wrong with using the resil to hit the crit cap as well. I would not suggest using them just to hit the cap (as the Hodir ones are better for that anyway).

Crommi
08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Your gear looks fine, good enough to tank Ulduar25 although I can't agree with using PvP shoulder enchant for PvE purposes. Taking big hits is normal, Naxx was really easy for tanks but when you enter Ulduar, get used to taking +20k hits. Your armor seems to be slightly low, but that's probably down to item levels and shouldn't cause major issues.

As for Gormok the Impaler, those hits seem just about right. Main concern in that fight is not to let Impale stack up too high which generally does more damage than his melee hits over the duration of this fight.

Flee
08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Resil doesn't affect a raid boss, only pvp.

Stompya
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Altho some advice here is sound, a lot of misleading info was laid.

First, you will not be able to avoid parry haste by gemming expertise, because you need very high expertise to push parry out of the table (don't remember the actual value but its something like 36).

Second, there is a huge difference between using resilience to become uncrittable, and therefore having very lousy avoidance, and your situation where its just a small amount and bridges the gap between 536 and 540 prefectly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Gem expertise to hit 26 so you push dodges out of the table and increase your threat, pushing parry out of the table will not be possible before you get a bunch of ulduar gear and gem for it.

So if you want better survivability, keep pushing your avoidance and your stamina up, imho there's nothing majorly wrong with your gear setup, one of the above posters does hit the nail on the head tho, ulduar is all about spike damage management and your glyphs and talents are not optimized for it, in your position I would get improved disciplines and at least glyph of shieldwall or laststand, best scenario is actually having both so you can alternate cooldowns every 1 min.

thomasjh
08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Resil doesn't affect a raid boss, only pvp.

zacsafus
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Yes resiliance does work on raid bosses, I use it currently to reach the crit cap and it works like a treat also, the pvp enchant actually works better at helping you reach the crit cap than the lesser hodir one, most useful if ur an EH whore like me or haven't got exalted yet.Consider yourself corrected ^^ still Ty for helping clarify it for others

Flee
08-21-2009, 11:48 AM
ty zacsafus. Cheers!