PDA

View Full Version : need help with multi target threat, Blood DK

Blindside002
08-17-2009, 10:44 AM
So I have not been tanking for too long, but I think I have been able to get along decently with the amount of input I have been given by my tank friends, but sadly only one of them is a DK and he when he tanks its frost.

I have been noticing that as I tank groups of multiple targets of 3 or more my threat seems to dwindle to a point that makes me very uncomfortable. My friends have been able to pull the other mobs off me when they start doing heavy AoE type damage.

So I have to ask, is there a better way for me to prioritize my attacks better, or a rotation that would help me keep threat on those targets better?

For refference my armory link is: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&cn=Mitsue&gn=Sigma)

Sterbefall
08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I personally like to lead with DnD, then IT, PS, Pest, then as runes come back DS, BB, DS, BB, then BBx6. Honestly though, the period before BBx6 can get dicey.

Blindside002
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
That is basically the rotation I use to try and keep the targets on me, I seem to do a good job most of the time, but others it seems like my Threat just isn't sufficient for say a warrior constantly whirlwinding and causing other forms of high threat abilities to dps.

Gearfighter
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
blindside i had the same problem as u with warrios, but i am a frost dk :). IMO blood DK is for single target, like MT of a raid or something like that, ya know, to keep heavy aggro on 1 mob, frost is multi/single target as u can aoe, while still keeping good threat on a boss. with being a frost tank i recently changed my rotation to better stop warriors WW from taking aggro. i run in, open with DnD-Howling blast(with glyph of howling blast so it puts frost fever on all targets)- then blood boil for more aoe threat damage, then its just a matter of switching back from doing Howling blast and Blood Boilx2. if i didnt explain myself well enough, please feel free to mail message me with any queries

Kurtosis
08-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Here's a good article on Blood tank specs from Gravity (http://pwnwear.com/2009/08/11/3-2-death-knight-blood-tank-specs/), including an aoe-oriented Blood spec that uses Corpse Explosion to boost Blood's AoE.

Otherwise, Blood is the lowest AoE of the three trees, and you may find yourself having to tank like warrior, by tab-strike spamming mobs to keep up threat on all of them. Don't forget you can use Deathgrip and Chains of Ice in addition to Dark Command to pull back runners, or at least stop them from getting out of your melee range.

I actually have dual tank specs, Frost (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EGZhxx0AbIof0buzAo0x:Tka0Mm) for OT/5man/AoE, and Blood (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcEMqI0IsbMbssxhxZ0g:iGh0Mm) for single target MT duty. In the middle of an instance I can switch from one to the other, depending on the upcoming fight, which is extremely useful for pugs and 5mans. I highly recommend that if you don't have to have a dps off-spec.

Zivh
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Blood is definitely the weakest of the AOE specs for Blood tanking, however I would not consider it weak overall by any means.

I have been tanking as blood for a while and here's what I've found works best for me. You can look at my spec in my signature, as this rotation will pretty much require DRM and a Glyph of Disease to operate at 100%.

DnD->BB->IT->PS->Blood Tap->Pest (initial threat, DoT threat, diseases spread)

BB->DS->BB->DS (AoE Threat, Death rune conversion)

BBx5 with a Pestilence for the 6th whenever your diseases are about to wear off

**with runic dumps as necessary to keep from hitting 100, and of course, rune strikes every time they're available which should be for every attack while tanking multiple mobs if your avoidance is high enough--my MSBT spams the crap outta me with RUNE STRIKE!! during AoE pulls

This is a nice rotation for AoE as you get the initial threat from the blood boil right off the bat to keep your healers and antsy DPS safe until your DnD has a chance to build up some threat. Getting your diseases up is paramount to your success as a Blood tank, as it will increase the damage of your successive Blood Boils by a lot. I use a Glyph of DnD to help with that initial aggro as our DPS is pretty ridiculously high on most occasions, however some find this unnecessary. If you are having trouble with the multi-mob pulls though...it could certainly help.

Cheers, hope this helps ya out :)