PDA

View Full Version : Maxing it out.

Robstar
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Robstar)

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3mqiAHuptwMeYtoM/sum/damageDone/)

I'm doing my best to max it out. As you can see I've put some effort into the set you can see currently on wowarmory.

I have a block set for trash and 4 piece conq for shield blocking frozen blows on Hodir, however.. I think there is still room for improvement all around.

I've personally reached my limit of min/maxing in my own mind. I'm stuck between getting mining or jewelcrafting, but ultimately.. 153 stam > 60 stam, correct?

Be technical with me, be critical. I do fine in raids, and my healers love me, but I just want to be better. Are you guys able to see anything I could be missing?

Insahnity
08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
It's not 153 stam, its 63 stam. If you didn't have JC you would have 30x3=90 stam instead of 51x3=153 stam.

In that context, you get an extra 3 stam, but the cost of levelling a JC and then constantly regemming as you get upgrades, etc...

I wouldn't min/max for 3 stam, personally. But think along those terms.

Incidentally, LW has a 103 stam wrist patch. This also works out to 63 stam, as normally you would take 40 stam to wrists. This coupled with stupidly cheap leg patches (55 stam/20 agi for next to nothing) makes it a good choice. Having said that, getting up to 425 LW, thats not as easy as mining to 450.

Remember, it's been balanced out.

Robstar
08-17-2009, 09:39 AM
I should've pondered that thought a little before hastily posting away. Yes, three stamina is not that much of a difference at all.

Insahnity
08-17-2009, 10:14 AM
It happens to the best of us. I wish there was a certain parry hasted attacks post that would disappear myself.

For min maxing, I would consider the following:
-Glove socket, you have 10 expertise/15 stam. Do you really need the expertise? You aren't over the hard cap, but you might benefit more from hit. And if you are happy with threat, then consider going with a full stam gem, its a prismatic slot.
-Glove enchant. 18 stam is bad! go with armsman, or even 20 hit.
-Legs - Back to expertise, you could try shedding some in favor of either dodge/parry. Normally I would recommend dodge, but since you have a lot of dodge on your gear, you might consider a parry/stam gem
-Chest - You are comfortably over the def cap at 571, perhaps go with 10 stats instead of 22 def? I prefer the avoidance, so I would leave the def to shield and cloak still. If you do want to change one, do NOT go for 18 stam to shield, I'd suggest 22 agility to cloak at best.

All these are pretty minor tweaks. We both agree you are in darn good shape.

Robstar
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Honestly, thanks for the time invested so far in this thread. :)

With some of the gem choices, I genuinely was trying to hit the parry cap. Whether this seemed silly, I'm not sure. I get awfully close once well fed (49)

I used to actually have the armsman enchant, and then dropped it for +18 stamina. My reasoning, although up for discussion. Was that +2% threat and 0.16% parry for me just wasn't worth it. Although I could honestly see an immediate benefit to 20 hit.

As said before, expertise (threat) or parry (avoidance) .. such an area to think on. If only I had two of each piece of gear. =(

As for the chest enchant, I was under the assumption that +22 def would benefit me avoidance wise, but then I suppose it contradicts the entire set, being stacked with exp and mainly threat focused.

Also wasn't agility slightly nerfed in it's avoidance returns? I could've heard wrong

Darthmullet
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
JC is better as you still get a benefit for different specs, different gear situations, etc.
Not to mention that it is a better proff as proffs go anyway.

Dodge is still better than Parry for a ways, diminishing returns is a lot more potent on parry.

Insahnity
08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
If you consider the item budget for getting 18 stam vs either armsman or 20 hit, it has a very low budget. I reserve 18 stam for pure stam stacks (magic fights, etc.). As for armsmen, in itself 10 parry rating isn't a game breaker, but 2% is inherently scalable. At your gear levels, scalable stats are more desirable than static gains.

Yes, having extra def does improve avoidance to be sure. However, 10 stats is scalable with BoK. Excluding BoK, it has 10 stamina (multiplied by warrior stam bonuses), 10 str for a bit extra AP/SBV, 10 agi for a bit of dodge/armor/crit. Not a huge amount, but neither is 22 defense rating. Also, stats don't suffer DR, but defense does.

Agility in itself is the same, in that agi->dodge and agi->armor is still the same. However, the Dodge is now suffering greater DR, so in turn Agi isn't as attractive as before. As mentioned before, I'd prefer the 16 def myself.

Darthmullet, the "JC is THE prof" mindset resulted in the nerfs in 3.2, it's back to the level of the other professions. If you want situational enchants, for example, LW has massive magic resist patches that no other profession can boast, and incidentally those got buffed as well on 3.2 to provide even more benefits. Engineering 800 armor on gloves is without equal, and with the changes to eng potion injectors it provides some impressive heals (had one crit for 6400 health on my mage, probably would have been more if I had more HPs). I could keep going, but the point is that it has been balanced. The only thing to bear in mind is that the gathering professions (mining, herbing, skinning) provide single benefits as opposed to the option filled crafting professions, but it is easier to level the gathering professions and very easy to make money on without spending time (AH vs hawking in trade).