PDA

View Full Version : How to find the MT?

Solnaren
08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi, This is my first post, so If I get things wrong, please be nice ^_^.

So my guild will be doing our first (as a guild) run of Naxx (10-Man).
We have 3 healers, 2 tanks, and are working on filling the rest of the DPS spots.

I am one of the tanks, and the GM is the other, we are both defence caped (I'm one below it at the moment, but I intend to get a gem or something to get me over the cap before we go into the raid), we both have over 25k HP, our armour is a tad lower then what wowwiki suggests (it suggests 21k, we both just have over 13k*), we are both Blood Elf Death Knights as well.

I have More Strength, Agility, Armour (13674*), Dodge, Melee Power and Crit.
He has More Stamina, Parry, Hit rate, Expertise, and More HP.
According to WoW-Heroes, My Gear Rating is higher then his.

So with the above Information, Who should be MT?
Do I need to give more information? (My armory is Solanren on Nagrand (US) and he is Onesword)
I have put * in a few things as the armory, and WoW-Heroes Doesn't include Frost, and for me, I'm not in my tank build. So something may be different.

Also, how is a good way to find out Threat Production? I use Omen, but is there a way to find out with out going into a Raid/Heroic?

Thanks.

Glittersmith
08-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I would say that all in all Onesword is the one with better gear, but in all fairness you are close enough to make the one of you that are the best at tanking to be the mt.

Eraser
08-16-2009, 09:45 PM
The question about who should be MT, at least in my opinion, should be based on skill, knowledge, and drive, rather than gear (although who has the most drive in turn usually has the better gear). Let me just touch on these:

Skill: There is skill that goes beyond just hitting the right buttons, it's about perfecting your threat rotation while executing fight mechanics right, providing a similar threat output while you're moving, it's the ability to keep your threat up while using your mouse to view other things other than your character. One fight that goes along way to showing who is the better tank is Malygos, it really shows those of us who are skilled (stacking the sparks without a DK lazymode).

Knowledge: One thing that a main tank needs to do is know their class inside and out, but not only that they need to know every fight before hand and what they have to do before they do it. The MT needs to know when is the right time for cooldowns, and probably most importantly they need to show confidence in their knowledge.

Drive: Lastly, the main tank wants to be the main tank. Being the a tank is taxing, because other positions can slack off, or even afk for certain sections of the raid i.e. trash (with the exception of maybe healers... even then they can a bit). The tanks have to stay, but not only stay they have to be concentrating 100% of the time - in the event that someone pulls or something like that. The main tank wants this job, wants this responsibility, that they're willing to do almost anything to get it. The main tank is about spending that extra time/gold in order to get the best gear.

That's my thoughts anyway, I'm a main tank - and I believe that these are the principles I tank by. It's my thought that if 9-24 other people are counting on 1 person that 1 person better be dam good at what they do.

uglybbtoo
08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
13K armour??? Check your numbers I don't believe any defense capped tank would have that low.

Titansteel Shield Wall - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42508) has 7.5K alone which is sort of min shield you would have.

As for the selection if you are both evenly geared mix it up one change between MT/OT on each boss and then reverse the follow ing week.

The only compelling reason one of you would be absolutely the MT would be if there was radical diff between your gear so it was easier.

Zivh
08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
We rotate our tanks in and out of fights to ensure that everyone knows them and can be swapped in in the event that one of the tanks is out. MT is a term that should be used lightly and can easily be a title for just more than one tank.

Glittersmith
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
@uglybbtoo

They are both dks and can hence not use shields and he explained why the armor he wrote down was so low in his post.

uglybbtoo
08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Ok got that then he really needs to put the armour buff up and compare it ... correct? Sorry DK's bit of mystery to me but know they do have significant armour when tanking.

Dragaan
08-16-2009, 11:44 PM
The 21k that was suggested would mean you should have 21k or more while in frost presence.

Zivh
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
First to come here.Hope you all have good days
mycollects (http://www.mycollects.com/index.html)
CommendProduct (http://www.mycollects.com/CommendProduct.aspx)
DiscountProduct (http://www.mycollects.com/DiscountProduct.aspx)

Someone delete this post please, it is a malicious advertising attempt.

TiptoesDMF
08-17-2009, 01:10 AM
As was said, being MT has little to do with gear. It is more about mindset, skill and attitude.

MT is leader figure. He or she should know the fights inside out and always stand at the front prepared to lead on to danger. MT should be the first one engaging in fight and the last one backing from it.

MT is father figure. If he or she manages to claim and maintain the proper MT status, most of you raiders, the more rest of tank corps, will look to you and seek advice. MT is generaly having at least advice word in tank assigment. He or she should be content enough to let others tank where possible to let them learn.

MT is honorable status. It is usualy the tank who excells at everything, and most of the time at everything at once. One who does not panic, one who knows when to pop cooldowns, move, counter. One who works closely with healer and raid leader. One who's name shall be forever engraved in gold writing in guild journal.

MT is hard work. One can't just slow down. One can't take AFK just because one feels like it. MT's actions are observed, judged by other people. It's the person visibily responsible for downing new content and progress, the one with the biggest public pressure on.

I, as raid leader, am happy to have 2 MTs in tank force, along with 2 quite good tanks that don't really have the proper tanking soul yet. I choose both my 2 MTs for progression fights and hard stuff and rotate one MT and of the 2 rookies on farm nights. Both my MTs have the mindset to shine, excell and push forward, yet they alter tanking bosses and keep very, very healthy competition amongst themselves. They are both spot on tanks, raiders I can fully trust.

That's what being MT means to me, former MT, current dps and RL/healer.

Gearfighter
08-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I myself am a DK tank, im nearly done with gear from heroics. i do OT Naxx 10 man but i also have the drive to do MT if needed.

basically for me a MT is determined firstly on health but a majority of knowledge of all fights is essential

when fighting as a tank, you need to know what your doing in every situation, but not only that you need to be capable of making split second changes for whatever reason

thats my 2c anyway

Solnaren
08-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the Help everyone, it's been helpful... that isn't sarcasm BTW.

After posting this I went in game and got some of the new gems, and to make sure my stats were what I thought they were...
I am over the suggested 21k Armour.

We are both new at knowing the Fights in Naxx, as (from what I know) we both never have tanked it before.
We are both looking in on the fights (I'm using the Tankspot vids) and so far I am looking forward to it.

I think I will Suggest to the GM that we take 2 wings of naxx each as MT. (Meaning, I Tank The Spider and Plague Wings... Quaters... whatever, and he MT's the other 2, and we just decide on the day for the last area.)
It could help drill the fights into our heads of our respect wings, and not be distracted by knowing 100% the other wings Just yet.

We are a new Guild to raiding, trying to make the transition from Social/Leveling Guild to Social/Leveling/Casual Raiding guild.