PDA

View Full Version : Gear not strong enough for spec?

Frostika
08-13-2009, 12:15 AM
After the patch hit I decided to move away from my old frost tanking build in favor of blood. I lost a mitigation ability (unbreakable armor) in favor of stamina gains in the blood tree to counter the loss from the cut on frost presence. I also gained a "meat shield" talent, vampiric blood. I do not think vampiric blood is better than unbreakable armor. I really miss my mitigation, but I hope to manage with a trinket cooldown in combination with vampiric blood (figurine monarch crab). The spec I chose was off a DK tank who had experienced success with it, however the gear she was sporting is vastly superior to mine. I am worried that choosing this spec may have been a mistake at my level, and that I should have waited until my gear was on par with it.

The gear game I am playing now is the balancing act between defense rating and stamina. Whenever I loot something, I end up spending lots of gold on enchants and gems on my entire armor set because it now needs stamina or defense.

Here is the link to my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nesingwary&n=Frostika)

You will notice the boots are void of defense rating and avoidance. They are purely there for stamina reasons and very high on the upgrade list for me. The sigil is going to be upgraded with badge gear, so I can't count on the extra defense rating it gives me as far as long-term.

Please keep in mind when giving your thoughts that my style of tanking can be broken down into simple steps:
1. get aggro and inflict diseases on target(s)
2. death strike and rune strike spam
3. pray for dodge when the CD's are coolingdown

What I am looking for in responses is a clear verdict on this spec/gear combination. Is the gear not strong enough to support the spec? And if so, what gear gets the boot? (and if you have an idea on what gear to bring in, I welcome your suggestions)

Thank you for your time.

toonnamefail
08-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Your spec is very very blood heavy but if thats how you like to play then go for it. I can't recommend the RT glyph but again your call. Gear is fine asides the boots, go and get yourself the Conq badge boots!

Frostika
08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
The spec is blood heavy and I am willing to be "flexible". I can move 3 points off of spell deflection or blood-gorged and put it into morbidity.

As for the boots, those along with the cloak, shoulders, and sigil are top priority on upgrade list.

You mentioned the emblem of conquest boots, you will have to forgive my confusion. I thought the only boots available through emblems were the Kyzoc's ground stompers. If those are the boots you are referring to, I admit I was tempted. However the issue I ran into was running into a gold shortage while leveling Jewelcrafting and Enchanting. The needed stamina to cover the loss in those boots would cost me a fortune in epic gems. I decided to sacrifice the emblem of valor boots in favor of runed orbs to put them towards Spiked Death Dealers and maybe an Indestructible Plate Girdle.

The worry I also had with Kyzoc's Ground stompers was the stamina I would lose as compared to Icebane Treads. It is replaceable somewhat by enchanting my chest for health instead of defense rating as the boots will make it up. I can also upgrade the blue gems to epic blue gems. However this would be a very long process for me as I am trying to max two professions and my dailies go directly to repairs.

As for play style on the blood heavy spec, it is relatively new for me so I haven't developped any ingrained bad habits yet. If you have a suggestion on the spec, by all means please offer your two cents before I completely lose myself in it.