PDA

View Full Version : Coliseum Lord Jaraxxus

Ciderhelm
08-12-2009, 04:11 AM
kA_sfHABAtw

jakyV8EGCog

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Welcome back to the TankSpot Crusader's Coliseum Raid Guide. This is Ttocs, and this video will go over a strategy for Lord Jaraxxus, the second boss in the Crusader's Coliseum.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Susbcribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

Lord Jaraxxus is a controlled DPS burn. DPS on Jaraxxus is secondary to proper DPS on the adds, and you want to control the Legion Inferno so you don't have fire everywhere. Healing also becomes extremely important on this fight, as you need to get the Incinerate Flesh debuff off before that person blows up the raid.

The raid composition we used had two tanks - one on Jaraxxus, and one for his adds, and 5 healers. There is a lot of fire damage going around on this fight - a Fire Resistance Aura or Totem is very useful here.

When you start the encounter, You want to tank him in the middle of the room, and keep the raid spread out at least 10 yards apart, so you don't spread Fel lightning. Fel lightning works exactly like chain lightning - however, the damage doesn't change each time it jumps, and it will affect a maximum of 5 targets.

Focus on Jaraxxus at first, and assign people to interrupt his fel fireball. Fel fireball will be cast on the tank at regular intervals, and it will do about 22-23K damage up front, and it will tick for over 8000 damage per second. This can be dispelled.

He will also randomly target a player with Legion flames. Legion flames is a debuff that deals about 4000 damage per second, and will leave a fire at your feet. There are two ways to deal with this. You can either stand in one spot and either be healed through it and keep the fire in one spot, or those that are affected by it can run to the outside of the room. For a few seconds, they will leave a trail of fire behind. This fire will also deal about 4000 damage per second for those that stand in it.

The other random ability that Jaraxxus will use is Incinerate Flesh. Incinerate Flesh is cast on a random target and absorbs the next 70,000 healing that you receive and reduces the damage you deal by 50%. If you don't receive 70,000 healing in the next 15 seconds, you will explode, and will deal over 3000 damage per second for 5 seconds to all friendly targets.

Jaraxxus also gains a buff called Nether Power. It increases the magic damage he deals by 20%. This buff can be spellstolen by mages, and should be done whenever possible, to minimize the Fel Lightning and fel fireball damage.

Throughout the encounter, he will spawn two types of adds. The first type of add is a Mistress of Pain, and one will spawn from a portal. The add tank needs to pick this up immediately and the non-interrupter DPS needs to burn them down. They have a high damage attack that pierces armor, and a spinning pain spike where the Mistress of Pain randomly targets a player in the raid and hits them for about 50% of their health.

The second type of adds are infernals, and they are spawned from the volcanoes. Each volcano will spawn about 3-4 infernals, and they must be picked up by the add tank. The add tank picks up the infernals and tries to keep it away from others so the infernal AoE doesn't hit any other players. We also move Jaraxxus to keep them away from the melee. The ranged stay on the infernal, and the melee stand on Jaraxxus. The infernals will also randomly target a player in the raid and attack them for about 6000 damage, then go back to the add tank.

Overall, the Jaraxxus encounter requires a bit of execution. Make sure that the adds are picked up and taken down as quick as possible, keep Legion Flames under control, and keep interrupting Fel Fireball. Also, make sure that Incinerate Flames is healed up as soon as possible. Good interrupts on Jaraxxus is a huge plus, as it will greatly reduce the burst damage on the tank throughout the encounter.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more!

Turelliax
08-12-2009, 05:04 AM
AWesome! my guild is going to be doing this tonight.. doesn't sound too awful.

Vorla
08-12-2009, 05:07 AM
Likewise, looking forward to it. Sounds like Grobby, Yogg and Vezax all rolled up into nice, fiery goodness. Can't wait to spellsteal that buff and churn out some epic DPS. ;)

Ciderhelm
08-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Movie up! Donor download soon!

Ciderhelm
08-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Donor download up!

M0rtalC0mbat
08-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Can Fel Fireball be Spell Reflected by a Warrior?

Ciderhelm
08-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Honestly I'm not sure M0rtal.

Reij
08-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Is the 25 man fight similar to the 10 man, or will there be a separate video to go over that?

Ciderhelm
08-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Is the 25 man fight similar to the 10 man, or will there be a separate video to go over that?
They're pretty similar though we may put out another video for 10-man as well.

skypilot870
08-12-2009, 07:40 AM
I was getting hit for about ~50,000 from Fel Fireball (and we had a Fire Resist Aura up) so I don't know if we were missing something or if it just sometimes hits harder. Just a heads up because basically anytime we missed a Fel Fireball I was lying face down on the ground! Also if you have a fury warrior or even better, an enhancement shaman they should be able to interrupt every single Fireball, just make sure you have someone doing backup interrupts in case they get Legion Flames. Other than that we had no problems with this encounter.

Falerwinn
08-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Can Fel Fireball be Spell Reflected by a Warrior?

Spell Reflect does not work, I just had to try last night.

I was getting hit for about ~50,000 from Fel Fireball (and we had a Fire Resist Aura up) so I don't know if we were missing something or if it just sometimes hits harder.

There's a good chance someone wasn't spell stealing or dispelling nether power. There was a point in our 10 man kill were I had people stop kicking Fel Fireball because I was a little too rage starved and it never hit me that hard.

The fight is pretty easy, but I still found it fun.

Souladin
08-12-2009, 07:57 AM
I was getting hit for about ~50,000 from Fel Fireball (and we had a Fire Resist Aura up) so I don't know if we were missing something or if it just sometimes hits harder. Just a heads up because basically anytime we missed a Fel Fireball I was lying face down on the ground! Also if you have a fury warrior or even better, an enhancement shaman they should be able to interrupt every single Fireball, just make sure you have someone doing backup interrupts in case they get Legion Flames. Other than that we had no problems with this encounter.

It was Nether Power that made his fireballs hurt so bad =(.
We didn't have a mage but had a shammy and two hunters available; tranq shot and purge do work as well.
Not sure if it's different in 25 man, but in 10, the boss gains an immediate five charges of Nether Power, equaling 100% more spell damage. We just had the MT call out when it had the buff and our shaman went to work.

JeffTheMeatshield
08-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Went it on 10man and killed him on out first try.

Fel fireball is interupttable, our casters removed everything they could and we walked right through it. Get melee away from mistress of pain as she has that nasty whirlwind type attack she hits them with that seems to ignore armor.

Pretty easy boss IMO, then again it is just 10 regular, i'm sure the 10 heroic will be a bit tougher.

Klimpen
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
An oversight - ttocs mentioned that his buff can be spell stolen but not purged [which is how we did it] - could be useful to put as an overlay note?

Tempestas
08-12-2009, 09:00 AM
It was Nether Power that made his fireballs hurt so bad =(.
We didn't have a mage but had a shammy and two hunters available; tranq shot and purge do work as well.
Not sure if it's different in 25 man, but in 10, the boss gains an immediate five charges of Nether Power, equaling 100% more spell damage. We just had the MT call out when it had the buff and our shaman went to work.

Yes these should work also dispel magic from a priest should also, purge DOES also work because I ran around on our kill purging the boss whenever he had the buff up. Also the thing to note about Incinerate Flesh on 10 man is only 20k healing or so, I was able to take it off myself with 2 heals.

Takethecake
08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
The Nether Power buff has 10 stacks on the boss in 25 man and lasts for 30 seconds. This will increase his magic damage done by 200% while it is up. Each stack gives 20% and while it's great for mages to spell steal it, it isn't really necessary and somewhat dangerous. His chain lightning will easily one shot people if he has to many stacks of it up.

Since this wasn't really a dps race fight we went with a very controled version where the boss was tanked by the gate with the melee dps on him while all ranged dps but mages where in the back of the arena and assigned as purely add dps. One tank healer on each side of the gate and the rest of the healers in the middle of the arena in range of everyone. All ranged dps and healers spread out at least 15 yards to avoide lightning bouncing and adds were tanked in the middle of the arena and focused on by the add dps (aka non mage ranged dps).

We had the warlocks use fel hounds and just leave them on the boss while our enhancement shaman, prot warrior, and mages handled dispelling / stealing nether power. We found that the dps boost was nice but the insta gib lightning because we were waiting for mages to spell steal wasn't worth it to only have mages dispell it.

This lead to a super clean fight for us.

P.S. - Fel Fireball has a 10-11 second cooldown. So a DK, rogue, fury warrior, or enchancement shaman can single handedly lock it out. Enhancement being your best bet due to 0 loss of dps, but assigning a few people to it is ideal. With full stacks of nether power up it is very deadly, but with no stacks up it is very managable to heal through.

Lachesis
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Completed the encounter last night on 10-man in a total of two attempts, will be doing it again tonight on 25-man mode. In 10-man, his melee swings were hitting me for about 6-9k, and while he does hit fast, after ~30 seconds or so I was able to tell the healers to relax on me little bit. The fight is not as healing-intensive as I'd first believed from looking at the information in the strategy thread here.
We missed one interrupt, and his fireball hit me for about 25k, and the DoT ticked the full duration. It did not kill me- however, our mage was spellstealing the crap out of him (cackling madly as he did it, I'm sure), and the healers were very on the ball last night. From what I've seen, Steelbreaker's Rune Punch hits worse- even so, I wouldn't suggest trying to skip an interrupt.

One thing I don't understand from this video, why is he being kited? I was able to tank him in the middle of the room the entire fight with no trouble at all. It seems from the video that the fight is no different in 25-man mode than it is in 10-man mode, so is there an advantage to kiting him that I'm missing?

xStainDx
08-12-2009, 10:04 AM
This is not required for this fight but is a definitely nice to have if you want to maximize your Melee and Hunter DPS against this boss.

He is classified (Demon). So Consider this for a nice DPS boost.

Elixir of Demonslaying (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9224)
Requires Level 40
Item Level 50
Use: Increases attack power by 265 against demons. Lasts 5 min. Battle Elixir. (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=11406)
Sell Price: 7

Melee and Hunter's Take Note. :)

Vorla
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Are any of the adds deathgrippable? IE; can they be moved by means of DG?

Widdox
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
The infernals are stunnable so I would guess they can be DG'd when not in "ball" form.

drae
08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
In 10m last night we did not interrupt a single fel fireball, they hit for ~12-13k the dot (which we did not dispell) ticked for ~3k when there is no Nether Power affecting the boss. I'm sure in 25m it would be more intense.

Shield Slam does remove Nether power as well as purge and priest dispell. While shield slam is not very reliable, I removed a fair number of debuffs throughout the fight. (we didn't bring a mage)

If you use a pally healer beacon of light does not transfer healing to the beacon target when when the pally switches to healing through incinerate debuff.

Control the adds, stay spread out, don't poop fire on yourself and this fight is cake. Steelbreaker definitely hits harder.

If you would like a 10m video you can see one here:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae6ZLTWtRc"

the quality is high enough to read my SCT and get a good idea of inc. damage. Our healers did mention it was intense, but had we interrupted the fireball I'm sure it would have been easier.

Horaxe
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for adding this, it was pretty spot in with how my guild did it yesterday. And thanks for providing the transcript, that is a very nice touch imo. As noted above though, Purge DEFINITELY helps. When his buff stacks get too high that Fireball is a beast, otherwise though the MT has a fairly easy job in this fight. It's more a question of everyone else doing their job.

Ferag
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
One shot this fight (10 man) on Tuesday. Incredibly easy, had a Warrior tank the boss, who managed to interrupt every fireball using Shield Bash (except the one he tried to Spell Reflect). The passive dispel on Shield Slam must have helped with his spell damage buff, as we did not notice it as a factor.

Just had our second tank pick up the adds and every DPS burn them down quickly.

sud
08-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Once again a great guide, thanks folks! It really helps to know beforehand what to look for in terms of visuals and effects, it allows you to quickly identify whats happening!

breaklance
08-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Lord Jaraxxus is a failry easy fight, my guild managed to 1 shot it while recording about 10 deaths, using 3 brezes and 2 ankhs(though the brez people died 30 seconds later).

From what I observed as melee, 1 interupted can easily take out the fel fireball. However it will be cast frequently. I beleive recount listed over 50 interupts. I'd recommend spreading out around LJ as the lightning doesn't get stronger as it bounces, and the fire debuff can catch melee offgaurd. DPSing Mistresses of Pain on top of LJ will benefit melee dps greatly.

From what I observed the 2 most imporant things about this fight are the 1) nether power buff and 2) the healing debuff. Nether power can and will make fel lightning one shot players, and if cast on melee kill all 3 targets(i was hit at one point for 32k).

Honestly as an enh shaman my class could be soley on controling LJ between our new and very fast interupt, and being able to purge the Nether Power buff(if your mages are...slow witted)

Orcgazmo
08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
IF the infernals are driving you nuts remember the 3 following things:

1)Locks can Banish the Infernals!!!

2)Locks can Banish the Infernals!!!

3)Locks can Banish the Infernals!!!

We didn't try it on the Mistress of Pain... but we will next week.

That is all.

Viggo Vickers
08-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Just one shotted him today on 10 man, pretty simple fight following the video. Healers said it was easier for them on this fight than it was for Beasts.

For the interrupts, as a Prot Warrior you can pretty much interrupt them all your self if you needed (atleast for 10 man while the risk isn't high), but I had a dedicated Rogue on Jaraxxus at all times as I wasn't too sure before we attempted him. Only one got through (was moving him away from Infernals), but didn't hit very hard, barely any healing was needed on me, more so on the OT as we had some of the adds build up abit too much at one point.

Ciderhelm
08-14-2009, 02:56 AM
10-man movie added!

Anu
08-14-2009, 05:46 AM
I've done this in 10 man and 25 man, what surprised me was how easy it was.

You can make the interrupt timer yourself with bash on 10 man and there is always plenty of interrupts on 25 man

I was certainly expecting something harder to be honest.

Armageddn
08-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Say hi to Jaraxxus
Before he attaxxus

Mr.Winkle
08-14-2009, 07:35 AM
With hs giant maraxxus

Shadevarr
08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Mistresses cannot be banished. Infernals were easy enough to handle if all dps turned and nuked. Tank damage felt low as I would get rage starved freqently enough to wish berzerker rage had a shorter cooldown.

We found that positioning was key to victory for us. We had healers spread out evenly in the triangles of the star, ranged taking spots between healers and we just completely ignored distance for the fel lightning since the damage was easily healed. We also went fire res aura heavy with 2 paladins and 2 shamans providing the buff to different sides of the room.

Legion flame was probably the most annoying thing. I had a melee get it and not move which created a death spot as all the seperate patches will stack together like the eredar boss in arcatraz.

Nunes
08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Well it's a good thing this game gets easier and easier, justifies keeping my subscription active. What would we possibly do without our shiny ilvl245 shinies?

1 shot 25m and 10m without anyone seeing the fight before, or reading anything about it.

Xercxes
08-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah one thing most people won't see because their raids won't get to it is that he does have an enrage timer. My guild had like 10 people left on 25 man and tried to finish him but at like 10 minutes in he enraged and one shoted the group. But besides that if everyone switches to the adds right when they spawn this boss is easy mode.

Yellowbird
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Nice vids indeed, helping us a lot in overall progression :)
Al though i have one question:
How do i get mana, rage, RP and energy to show up with grid2?
Tried going through all the setting options over and over again. can't find anything.
Thankful if anyone knows the answer
Yellowbird

ttocs
08-16-2009, 11:27 AM
GridManaBars

Bullgod345
08-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Not sure what I'm doing a whole lot wrong, but one thing that seems to get our group is the infernals. I'm a pally and our off tank, but it doesn't seem like the infernals listen to me at all, my taunt and righteous defense don't seem to pull them away and they usually end up scattering on me causing problems. any ideas?

CatabriOnEarthen
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Well, in theory, as a Pally OT, I should be able to hold onto the infernals, right? Well, in my case, problem exists between keyboard and chair. Yes, I'll poke at myself, and my guild knows I'm a terrible multi-add tank.

But as for the infernals, they didn't listen to me either. And they wouldn't come back, even if Omen, PB and Blizz all showed that I was the threat target. Maybe we had a glitched instance, that's NEVER happened before. *snort* We did nuke Jaraxxus, we just switched tank duty. I got the demon, and the DK got the add-tanking.

Fluxx
09-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I hope this one is harder on 25m but, Ive tanked him twice now.
First time i was OT (though much better geared then MT) but the DK could interupt the FFB, but he did not notice he could so he died most of the times duo he did not have the def cap. he died of a FFB Crit on 60% of boss health, So i took aggro on boss + adds i just had a other DK keeping the FFB off me and i could easily tank adds + boss.

(im a pally ;) )

the second time we did it we did not have any trouble just the useall pugs we take dieing because they dont seem to notice green stuff on the group gives makes me die... hey... i might need to get out of it... but they dont do it.. so they died.

Having a pally as OT is easyer, Just have him stun the infernals.

Also the infernals were not keeping me as main threat target even i have all threat on them. Might be a bug, we got a server restart a hour after that.

Opheliasfury
11-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Last night we did our first run of this instance. I'd watched the awesome videos here beforehand but we still had two issues. The Mistress of Pain bodyslammed and one shotted one of the mages . . . is there no way to interrupt this attack or at least tell who she's going to do this to? Also, the Infernals were impossible to keep aggro on. I read today they can be banished, but are there any other tips on keeping aggro on them or anything? The little buggers were all over the place, and would not stay with my OT no matter how much taunting he did. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Shortypop
11-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Can't help with mistresses but I would guess he may not have been oneshotted but had legionflame or something else at the same time, as I've never experienced that problem, wowwiki says their does 50% of target's hp so you may have just been unlucky with other random damage but you can't interupt them.

Infernals are a pain. But a couple of things that might help, mark the first one that spawns (not a skull as DBM uses that) and make sure dps focus fire. You can banish them in normal, and if you go this route banish the second one, you should have reasonable agro on the first by the time the third spawns, kill first and third, unbanish and kill second. Vigi (if your OT is a warrior) helps with taunts. They will fly off and "hellfire" nothing you can do about them heading off and if agro is high enough they will come back when they finish (the actual channeling can be interupted in normal mode), interupting also helps as dps has less time when you actually aren't hitting it to cause agro problems.

As MT you can also taunt anything you see heading in the wrong direction and let the OT taunt off you when he has a moment.

Kioku
11-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Our guild is renowned for being melee heavy. Yesterday was our first foray into ToC10 (we're a very young guild, and just catching up on the progression ladder) and we downed the beasties after a few attempts. However, when we got to Jaraxxus, we knew we had a problem. See if you can figure out as I just go over our raid comp--

Pally MT/healer (healed for this fight), Pally OT (tanked adds), Boomkin/bear (tanked Jaraxxus), 2 dps DKs, 1 Pally healer, 1 tree, 1 shammy healer, 1 lock, and 1 rogue.

Doing the math for who we had available to dps for this fight as our boomkin had to tank so our MT could help w/ heals, we were left w/ exactly 1 ranged dps.

Our shaman was in charge of purging, and that was working well. However, when infernals spawned, they took forever to get killed with only 1 ranged.

I can think of only 2 ways to fix this-- either recruit another ranged (which we are trying to do, but it won't happen by the next raid time), or have the DK's set up a macro to toss Deathcoils at the infernals. And possibly let them go beat on them as often as their anti-magic shell is up.

Any other suggestions?

Vulcans
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Checking this thread - I see 2 other people posted issues with Pally's OTing this fight.

Any advice from pally tanks that tank this successfully is greatly appreciated.

Picking up the mistresses of pain I don’t have an issue with. But the infernal are impossible. They seem to ignore taunts and when I move closer to pick them up - I loose agg on one I have. Please any advice.
Is it best as the OT to stand in one place and try taunting them to you? What’s the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

jere
11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
As a pally tank, what I tend to do is go to where the first one lands. Shield of Righteous+Judgement on it. Use hand of Reckoning on the 2nd (for the damage + taunt), and Avenger's shield the third one. Somewhere in there I toss a consecration when 2 or more of them are in the same spot as me.

It's important to note, they don't necessarily ignore taunt, but when they fly across the screen they root themselvse and hellfire repeatedly. It is useless to taunt them as it will wear off long before they finish pumping out hellfire and you really didn't lose aggro to begin with most likely.

The main thing is make sure you have a main assist for the infernals and that all the DPS are focus firing one at a time. If you do this, then after they finish hellfiring, they will run back to you...people just need to learn to move away from them or interrupt the hellfire. Focus on the one that is being focus fired by DPS and keep Consecration and the occasional Avenger's Shield or Judgement on the others.

Vulcans
12-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info Jere. Much appreciated

I tried in the past to spam Hand of Reckoning or Righteous Defense to pull targets and AOE to keep ones focused on me that i had.
I then spend too much time focused on the far targets and loose agg on the close ones.
What do you use to hold the targets that you have agg on - from loosing it while pulling far ones ?
Consecration is the main and Hammer of the Righteous is second for me - is Holy Wrath effective in this encounter ?

Draconar
12-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Okay I am having a problem with just the adds. My death knight is blood tank so they stick me on the main boss. But the Infernals end up destroying us.... So what should I do?