PDA

View Full Version : DK Tank Struggling to Stay at 540 Def

Xeridae
08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Couple of caveats about my gear.

Yes I am using some of the rep gear and need to replace them.

Yes I am DW'ing at the moment because I have increased dodge at the moment because of it and yes I just equipped those swords last night and need to get my sword skill capped lol.

My question is, why does it seem like I am constantly having to gem for Def rating. It seems like at first hitting the def cap was easy but as I am getting better gear it keeps getting worse and I think I will have to gem for nearly all def rating.

I guess I am in serious need of some DK tanking advice here lol.

Mofotrey
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
If you're struggling to hit the defense cap the Dual Wielding probably isn't a good idea... you'll basically always get more defense from the 2H rune enchant than any 1h combo that I'm aware of... 25 straight defense is pretty huge.

Xeridae
08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I completely agree with you there. I was looking at future gear though it seems like even with that rune it will be hard to stay at 540. I was looking at replacement gear and adding up the DR and it seems really low. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed?

Xeridae
08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
ugh nevermind... stupid wowhead isn't calculating right.

Mofotrey
08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Sadly lots of upgrades are downgrades in defense... Pieces like the Dragon Brood Legguards from 25 man Obsidian Sanctum are good though, tons of defense as well as being a general upgrade, and OS 25 is fairly easy to get into as long as your server has a lot of PUG raids.

Insahnity
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
It's a fact, blue items from lvl 76 are stacked with stam, defense and nothing else. As you get upgrades, you get other yummy stats like avoidance and threat stats. Every tank MUST go through that awkward stage, and I wil use the adolescence analogy, in the hopes you are old enough to understand it.

As a baby in blues, you are have enough def to tank, but the bosses are not that hard in regular instances and your party DPS is not serious enough to out threat you. As an adult, you get to look forward to complete epics with oodles of defense because the ilvl budget can support it, and gem slots, etc. to pull it off. Between those two stages, the teen years, you have to contend with "training bras", ilvl 200 blues and ilvl 200 epics, which don't have enough budget to have you survive raiding content AND keep up with threat of ulduar geared people. It is especially a bad time if you have half blues and some ilvl 200 epics, you are neither a baby in blues doing regular instances nor an adult in full epics, and you fail completely in tanking raids. In the meanwhile you deal with awkwardness of your stage through gems and enchants, which in retrospect is quite expensive given that you will upgrade it quite quickly after acquiring it, but cannot proceed without it. Think of gemming and enchants as the kleenex in the bra to get the date, and by the time you have steady date, people are used to seeing you in makeup (badge gear) and your boobs will have grown in fully (gear upgrades).

So you basically have two options: Run in raids as a DPS or healer and be carried through Naxxramas until you collect enough tank gear, or grind out those easy heroics like UK and Nexus at a snails pace until you get enough badges to get enough badge gear to tackle harder heroics, which get you enough better gear and more badges, until you are in full heroic epics and badge gear. Some of this can be expedited with crafted epics, given enough gold or farming. This will get you to Nax 10 level where you can tank on your own merits, farm that to death to get enough Nax 10 gear to get to Nax 25/U10/OS25/etc., and so on. That is the progression Blizzard has set out. In today's environment, they have upped the stakes by allowing badge upgrades directly to ulduar level, allowing you to both run with fully ulduar geared people and possibly skip right to nax25/U10 instead of grinding out nax10.

Sterbefall
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Let's face it. Blizz now itemizes DK gear around using the Rune of SSG. It's not quite so bad when you reach the upper tiers of gear because they pad the gear with a bit extra defense, but not nearly enough as to avoid needing defense gems without SSG. At that level, it's positively abysmal. Who else remembers when DW tanking was the only viable way to tank using early T7 gear specifically because of the defense on the weapons themselves?

Bottom line, I think you need to go back to a two hander. 25 defense skill works out to about 122 rating, nothing to sneeze at.

Griff
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Offtank naxx25 for the defense trinket or the defense trinket from...HoS I think? You'll be grifferific. Defense requirements for bossen in Naxx is 540 but only 535 at most for trash.

XtreO
08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Go twohander. Staying critimmune should be not problem at all for a tank DK of any kind, as long as you tank with a twohander.