PDA

View Full Version : What stats to focus on: Dodge, Parry, Def, or Stam

Ronnon
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
For reference: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Llane&n=Beyondlight)

Ok to be fair, I haven't had much trouble doing heroics. Healers usually have no trouble keeping me up (or so they tell me).

So I'm putting it out to you guys. Which should I focus on more now? Should I be looking at more dodge, parry, def, stam? How should I gem/enchant? What do you guys suggest in a last push to become raid ready?

Zivh
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
1. Defense to 540 - CHECK!
2. Expertise to 26 - Almost there!
3. Hit Rating to 263 - Needs work
4. Stack stam from there.

When I say "Stack" I don't mean neglect other stats. Call me a OCD but I don't see any reason to sacrifice bonuses from proper gemming in order to squeeze out a few extra stam.

In my current gear/spec I typically use Stam gems in blue slots, and Str/Stam or Exp/Stam in Red slots, in order to get the free bonuses and still min/max. Extra expertise over 26 is still a great stat to have as it provides reduced chance for bosses to Parry your attacks (26 is the dodge soft cap).

For being in mostly blues you are doing well. Your health is low, but that is expected because of the gear. Run the new dungeon on regular over and over and get yourself some ridiculously nice new pieces, and you will be ready for Naxx and OS if nothing else.

Ronnon
08-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Funny you should mention it, if you notice my hands, legs, waist, and boots. They all dropped out of Reg ToC last night for me.

So get my Expertise up to 26, then get my hit rating up, and stack Stam from there. So no avoidance?

Aashir
08-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Funny you should mention it, if you notice my hands, legs, waist, and boots. They all dropped out of Reg ToC last night for me.

So get my Expertise up to 26, then get my hit rating up, and stack Stam from there. So no avoidance?

In my general opinion, I don't find it necisarry to stack any kind of avoidance, or even begin to start an avoidance set. I find the only needed sets are a EH set, and if your not hitcapped / 28 expertise, possibly a threat set

Zivh
08-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Avoidance is nice but as I just posted on another thread here moments ago, in the situation that the RNG causes you to get hit for 20k twice in a row....if you don't have the HP buffer, youre dead. Also, magic damage is completely unmitigated by avoidance, UNLESS you spec blood and grab spell deflection, which I do, and despite what others think, find it incredibly useful as a great mitigation tool, especially since there is not much else in terms of magical mitigation other than it and AMS, and AMZ from the Unholy tree.

orcstar
08-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Why do so many people forget to mention Armor as a stat to go for?

Norik
08-11-2009, 07:05 AM
You say you want to be raid ready, but haven't mentioned what content?
IMHO only, if you are going to Naxx, lean a bit more towards threat and avoidance over stam. Don't make a huge stam sacrifice, but keep that expertise up to at least 26 and more if you can squeeze it out. If you have decent healers and DPS, Naxx will be a cakewalk. If your DPS is over your gear level, you will get some threat issues if not careful.

Now on the other hand if you plan on gearing up and going straight into Ulduar and Coliseum. I would lean heavily on stam over all other stats. You are going to get harder then anything has hit you before and you will need that HP buffer.
Mind you this is from a warrior tanks point of view. (Try to keep you base stats to the minimums posted above IE: Defense,Expertise,Hit)

Glittersmith
08-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Because its hard to stack armor since there are no abundance of slots and items with bonus armor on them. Mostly jewelry, trinkets and the legs from u25.

orcstar
08-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Because its hard to stack armor since there are no abundance of slots and items with bonus armor on them. Mostly jewelry, trinkets and the legs from u25.
And still it's imo one of the strongest stats to stack if you can get hold of the +armor items.

Ronnon
08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
I think I get what you guys are saying. So should I not gem for avoidance (other than Def cap obviously) and just gem/enchant straight for +hit, expertise, and Stam?

Sterbefall
08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Generally, gemming for avoidance isn't a good idea. Gemming for parry is never a good idea as a DK and dodge, you usually start hitting DR. Most tanks can use more expertise (practically no one reaches hard cap) and many can use hit (still good for spell hit cap for DKs).

Ronnon
08-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Ok so drop the dodge gems, go for expertise to cap, then hit to cap, then stack Stam. I think I got it! Thanks guys! :)