PDA

View Full Version : Being crit when defense capped

Ariakas
08-09-2009, 12:26 PM
i looked around and didn't see anything but if this is a double post please show me where this is being discussed.

Tanking H ToC today i noticed a crit from the Black Knight. I'm 548 defense rating so i should be capped and uncrittable. looking through recount it showed i had been crit on multiple times by all the bosses/mobs in ToC. asking a few other guild tanks and they said they were having the same problem (543 def and 553 def on the two of them) in naxx and other heroics.

no response from blizzard on this yet and i havn't seen anyone in the forums anywhere mention this.

anyone know whats going on?

Esch
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I am aware a trash mob prior to Paltress/Edric applies a mini unbalancing strike, for -100 defense skill (I think it's the monk). It's also been a known issue that some mobs have a higher than 5% crit rate, such as fire revanents in HoL, and thus can crit you. Both of those could explain a variety of crits where tanks don't expect them to be possible.

Sorry I can't nail an obvious cause, but until I see a raid boss parse with crits on a 540+ defense skill tank, I'm not too concerned.

Ariakas
08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
i should be tanking naxx later tonight, i'll see what happens then. ty for your response.

Salion
08-09-2009, 01:09 PM
You need 540 Defense Skill, not Defense Rating, to be uncrittable. You need 689 Defense Rating to get to 540 Defense Skill.

Ariakas
08-09-2009, 01:47 PM
sorry, messed up my words again, i've got 548 defense skill.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Kimishi)

Ariakas
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
nvm, after running several heroics since posting i havn't been crit once since.

Martie
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Okay, maybe it's time for some explanation regarding all this def cap and crit immune mumbo jumbo.

This is exactly why I hate it when people call these things by a wrong name - it causes people to misunderstand what is meant.

The def minimum is 540 defense skill.
This amount of defense reduces the chance a mob will cause a critical strike by 5.6%.

Now, the vast majority of mobs don't have any special modifiers on critical strikes, so their chance to cause a critical strike is dependant on their weapon skill and the defense skill of whoever they are hitting.
Mobs have a weapon skill equal to five times their level.
At equal levels of weapon and defense skill, mobs have a 5% chance to cause a critical strike.
Each point of weapon skill they have in excess of the defense skill of whatever they are hitting adds 0.04% to their critical strike chance.
So each level they have over what they are hitting adds 0.2% chance to do a crit.

Now you know why the 5.6% number is so important.

However, mobs can, like players, get buffs that increase their chance to do a critical strike, or they can have some special stat that increases their critical strike chance. This is (luckily) not the chance for most raid bosses, and those should be the only mobs where it really matters.

So please stop complaining when something does a critical strike against you - it's still possible, and there are a plethora of reasons that can cause it.
You wanna get crit less, raise your defense, never sit down in combat and pay attention to (de)buffs.

orcstar
08-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Most tanks who got crit with while crit immune pressed "X".

True story.

Martie
08-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Most tanks who got crit with while crit immune pressed "X".

True story.
That's why I bound my bubble to x.

baidin
08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I noticed the exact same thing happening in H-toc. I have 443 defense which is over 700 defense rating and am usually crit 2-3 times per run. Only happens in Toc , have run almost every other heroic without a problem.

First time I though I had accidentally hit x, unbound the sit key and it still keeps happening. Not sure whats going on but I actually got into an argument with a healer who said I wasn't defense capped, lol.

Edgar
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
The defense just lowers your chance of being crit to the crit-chance a boss has on you. You are not magically uncrittable.

If you are under an effect that increases your chance to be critted or your attacker is under an effect that gives him a higher chance to crit than 5.60%, there is the possibility of you being crit.

The latter is the case in ToC, for the 2nd phase there is a mob that gains a buff that gives him a 50% chance that his next strike will be critical, so being crit in ToC should be relatively common.

uglybbtoo
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Eadric the pure has this spell

Vengeance - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=66889)

You can have 9999 def he will still crit you with his next hit