PDA

View Full Version : Prot Pally - 3.2 Spec Help

Embry
08-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Morning guys, just after a little advice on a re-spec since the 3.2 patch. I am 1 of a few of our guilds off tanks, and currently running Ulduar. Pre-3.2, apart from trying to get to grips with the instance, I was fairly happy with my ability and spec for maintaining (almost) enough agro against some very well geared players, and my general survivability (although my kit was extremly poor).
I havent had the oportunity to do much since 3.2, but I did do a fun run of naxx 10 last night, which had me a little worried about my mana regen. Prior to 3.2 I found that with the relevant talents & glyphs, I was able to stay on at a near constant 100% MP throughtout most fights as long as divine plea was kept active, and should I enter a fight without it, MP would be regenerated considerably in the next fight once DP was back off CD. Last night just felt like a struggle in terms of mana, and I had to pop pots a few times, despite having everything proc'd which would normally keep me going.
Also, looking through the 3.2 pally changes post here at TankSpot, I can see I could do with a re-spec, particularly to look at taking advantage of seals of the pure for threat purposes.

My armoury is listed below, although I unfortunately logged out in Retri spec, but thankfully had equipped my prot gear before doing so.

I guess I am particularly interested in comments around a revision of my spec to try and take advantage of all possible threat talents (is reckoning worth a look at?), and of course any kit / gem recommendations (ignore the temporary crap sta gem in my ring ;)). I did pickup two new items last night, (gloves & boots) so these are not yet enchanted. I plan for armsman on gloves, and boots depends on whether I manage to keep pursit of justice in my spec, if not that it will be tuskars vitality.

Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarshield+Legion&n=Embry)

Thanks in advance!

Miagorme
08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Having played a Paladin MT, and a Death Knight MT, here's some advice. Take -all- the survivability talents you can get, take -all- the talents that will enable you to use this skill in this situation, or that skill in that situation, then worry about threat talents. Threat is a Paladin's natural strength, you really should not be worried about it at all. Simply follow the 69696 rotation and use Shield of the Righteous as often as you possibly can. Use wings if you really need it, as if you're worried about threat, it's probably not dangerous enough to worry about needing your shieldwall.

edit: I could just give you a spec to use, but it would be more beneficial for you to understand why that spec is good. It's also better to develop a spec that is good for you personally, as I'm sure you play differently than I do and each spec should be designed with that in mind.

Embry
08-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks for your reply - it certainly makes sense.
Just another quick question, is expertise worth gemming for as a Pally? I got the impression from some elitist jerks post that it was overated and shouldnt necessarilly be neglected, but should take one fo the lowest priorities?

Miagorme
08-09-2009, 02:40 AM
It certainly helps, but don't prioritize it over stamina or avoidance. It simply makes parry haste less likely. 26 expertise is enough, but don't worry if you aren't at the cap.